MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:01 PM

the last one is actually the factory piec i broke of in that hufe bending machine, couldnet brak it without, and it sounded pretty load, so its hard for sure, but like i said, it takes a good while to work on somthing thats allready hardened, and use alot of resourses on grinding it down, and i dont really learn to heatreat it at all.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:49 AM
Skilled

Ok, now that you've found a piece that might make a good knife here's the next step. Forge out another piece, make this one 12cm or so and 1cm wide. Heat the entire piece evenly and quench. Now, polish one side or both would be preferable and pre heat your oven (I keep a toaster oven in my shop for this). Start at 350F (sorry, we don't think in C here) after a hour take it out. Inspect the color. You are looking for a dark yellow or straw color. If that color isn't obtained increase the heat by 25F and repeat until the desired color is reached.
For simple carbon steel these colors will help you identify the proper tempering temperature. The learning curve here is tough but needed to make a quality blade.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:16 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian forge View Post
the last one is actually the factory piec i broke of in that hufe bending machine, couldnet brak it without, and it sounded pretty load, so its hard for sure, but like i said, it takes a good while to work on somthing thats allready hardened, and use alot of resourses on grinding it down, and i dont really learn to heatreat it at all.

Exactly. That's why you want to put that steel through the annealing process that we discussed before. That makes it soft so that you can work with it. Then re-harden the steel using the magnet to get the temperature just right. After that, use the process IMCUSTOM described in the last post to temper the blade which will soften it just enough that it is not brittle. For tempering you will need an electric oven because the temperature must be exact and must be held for at least one hour. Since the temperature required is low, about 400 F, an ordinary toaster oven is often used. Your kitchen oven will also work but the smell of burning oil might get you in trouble if you are married ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-31-2014, 01:34 PM

Thanks guys this is of good help to me, have been sick for a few days now so i havent gotten to put this to practice, but ive tryed that steal that never hadened and done those prosesses with the oven, but it was all a disaster since it wasent even hardened, but yea, il be sure to do that.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:32 AM

hardened a bunch of more steal laying around, found 3 different types, one i soaked for probably 15 min
I forgot i put it in there, but it hardened, 8 mm thick, so not really knife dimentions, but it was fun hardening it, those other ones was about 3-4 MM, so nice for my first succsesfull small knifes i think,

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...E0&usp=sharing
Old 11-06-2014, 12:06 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm glad that you worked your problem out. Hang in there.

Doug

Tags
art, beginning, blade, carbon, forge, forging, guard, guards, heat treat, heathtreatment, home, home made, how to, iron, knife, knives, lock, made, make, making, project, small, tang, thumbguard, tools