MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Skilled

Putting cutting edge on a blade

Guys,

I tried to put a cutting edge on my heat treated blade yesterday and it didn't work out very good. I am able to make a relatively decent flat grind and assumed that making cutting edge would be no problem.
I started with Trizact 100(150 grit) belt and it was cutting too little and when I switch to 80 grit it made ugly and uneven edge. I ended up rounding it up with finer belt. Not what I wanted to do.
Do you have any tips for me other than practicing, like what grit, slack belt or platen etc?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 05-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

There will be many different answers to this question and all of them are probably going to be valid. Here's mine:

First off, I've never understood why people think Trizact belts will cut anything (yeah, yeah, I know, feel free to jump all over me). Structured abrasive belts are primarily design for finish work and not for metal removal. Use a regular 120 grit belt, especially a ceramic belt like Norton, and you shouldn't have any problem.

After the initial edge is ground on with a 120 belt on a platen, I switch to a manual system. The Edge Pro is my favorite but a Lansky works about the same way. Use the coarse stones to clean up and even out the edge created by the belt and then finer stones to finish the edge.

The type of edge you use should depend on the type of knife in question and its intended use. In some cases, a convex edge created on a slack belt will be just the ticket. There is no one size fits all answer to the question...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Living Legend

I think every knifemaker has his own technique for sharpening. Do like I did and try every one of them, you will find out what works best for you. After trying several different systems I finally had to design and build my own.

http://groups.msn.com/Brentscustomkn...to&PhotoID=141

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 05-03-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Skilled

I didn't realize you can't put a nice cutting edge without a jig.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:54 PM

You can definitely put a nice cutting edge on a knife without a jig and many people do. It takes practice, practice, practice. For the rest of us, there are all kinds if tools and techniques that get the job done....

Old 05-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Enthusiast

rayrogers said it all. tc tom
Old 05-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Hall of Famer

I use a 220 belt for the edge grind.Then go to 400.Then a cardboard wheel with white rouge.Then a razor strope for finish edge.

Old 05-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Steel Addict

People as you can see have a variety of belts to do this. I , and I got this from a forum, grind it with your belt of choise untill you can feel a "wire" on the edge and then go to a hand sharpening. If you use a sharpie on the edge when you do it by hand you will easily see where the steel is comeing off. As a nubie I may be less practiced at the grinder and produce a edge angle that is too steep and then the hand stone part is not removing any steel from the cutting edge, the sharpie will show this, and I can regrind.
Cheers Ron
Old 05-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast

I like to use a 120 slack belt to put a slight convex cutting edge on my knives. I will work both sides evenly until I get a nice little burr all along the edge then I buff that off and have a good working edge. Some steels like this method better that others. If I can't get a push cut on paper after I do this, I go to a 180 belt and do it again and that will usually get the job done. Just my way.

Mike
Old 05-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Steel Addict

For years and years before I built a belt grinder I put edges on tools by hand. I mean really putting the edge on, not just sharpening. No jigs. Done it with oil stones, diamond stones, and sandpaper on glass or tile. All three work. I like the sandpaper best, most of the time. The grinder is a lot quicker.

Steve

Old 05-04-2006, 12:05 PM
Skilled

I practiced yesterday and now can do rough final edge rind on my KMG.
I'll be getting EdgePro to make it uniform and equal on both sides.

EdgePro comes in different packages. What package or what stones do you recommend for me to get?
Old 05-04-2006, 01:30 PM

I think the Edge Pro basically comes in two flavors and they both work exactly the same and produce the same result. The Pro version is made of heavier materials and comes in a hard case but uses exactly the same stones etc. and costs about $350. I use the Pro but mine was a gift from a happy customer. If I had to pay for it, I'd probably buy the less expensive version.

Get all the stones they offer - 120, 180, 220, 320, 600 and the 3000 grit polishing strips. Eventually, you'll settle on the ones you like. And, like I said earlier, different knives use different edges so you'll use them all but maybe not all on the same knife.

Get an extra 120 grit stone as they are the ones that have to do most of the metal removal for shaping the edge and they wear out. I don't think I've ever had to replace any of the other stones.....

Old 05-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Skilled

I've just ordered an EZESharp sharpener http://www.ezesharp.com.au
it cost half as much and based on reviews is a very solid product.

BTW While looking for review I found a post saying that McMaster sells EDM stones that are the same as EdgePro stones and cost only $2-3
Old 05-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Alex, what's your opinion of the unit you ordered?

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 05-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Skilled

I got EZESharp and one week later I ordered an arm plus 5 stones from EdgePro Pro Kit. Because it is cheaper than getting good quality stones for EZESharp and in my opinion EdgePro Arm is better.

I like my setup very much.

Tags
blade, knife, knives