MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 07-05-2004, 09:38 AM
Skilled

where is everyone?

This forum has gotten really slow lately and I was just wondering where everyone went. Maybe everyone just learned all they needed to know? Well - not me - I'm still just as dumb as ever!

Old 07-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Skilled

Thumbs up

Howdy Bill, and I have wondered the same thing. I try to look in often for tips, traps and shortcuts and just find not much going on. I guess we can talk it up but I expect some to read this and talk to all of us!
Old 07-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Frankly, I think a lot of people haven't caught on and are still going to the CKD site. Maybe after Alex shuts that site down they will find their way over here...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-06-2004, 01:45 AM
Master

Trying to get into the old site automatically brings you to this new one. It seems to me it was much the same this time last year. Summer, I think, has a lot to do with it. I'm still keeping myself busy, but then if I'm going on holidats I go in the winter. I love this hot weather we are having here. Air conditioning in the house sure helps the sleeping thing. I should pipe it into the shop. But that's just a dream. Frank

Old 07-06-2004, 07:28 AM
Hall of Famer

POB said "Well - not me - I'm still just as dumb as ever!"

LOL, that was good! I've been busy developing some damascus patterns at my shop, plus I'm getting ready to try my first knife show in August, in Austin. Nose to the grindstone (litterly!). I'm waiting for some meteorite slabs from a dealer in Arizona, and want to make up at least one folder using it as the bolsters, and Mammoth bark ivory as the scales. 6 billion year old meteorite bolsters (don't know how they date that stuff, but I guess they have it all figured out) and 25,000 year old ivory should make for a interesting folder. Will post a picture when it's done. I got the idea from Johnny Stout, and also see that others have been using it. Anyone have any tips for working the stuff, or for maintaining the etched pattern? Someone once told me that the pattern doesn't wear well?? That's about it from Uvalde, Texas, other than the usual hot and humid.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 07-06-2004, 08:04 AM
Skilled

Hay Robbert, would you share where you are getting your meteorite. I have a real nice piece of Gibeon that I want to use for a bolster, I just need another piece. The piece that I have was etched with nitric acid, and seem to be a great etch.

Jeremy

Old 07-06-2004, 08:07 AM
Hall of Famer

Jeremy, his name is John Birdsell, email is birdsell@email.arizona.edu . Great guy to work with also. I'll need to find the website and post it.

Ok, here it is:http://www.arizonaskiesmeteorites.co...ed_Meteorites/

Tell him I sent you. He has lots to look at on his site. I mentioned on another forum that I've bought several pounds of meteorite saw dust from his slabing process, and will be making a canned mosaic later on, once I figure out the design I'm after. May use it for an entire folder blade.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Last edited by rhrocker; 07-06-2004 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Skilled

I think different forums get traffic at different times. Right now, I'm sort of in stasis concerning knifemaking. I'm renovating my house and its taking all my time this summer. I was into making folders a few months ago. Now I'm playing with bowies. Thinking of making a few autos this fall. Yeah it is slow, but I think summer has a lot to do with it.

Old 07-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm like you Jeff. I have 4 or 5 styles of knives I am currently working on, just to see which ones I really like. So far, all of them. Most guys on these forums find one particular thing and stick to that, and become really good at their craft. I'm not there yet, still trying to find myself I guess. Right now I'm HT'ing a O1 Bowie, fixing to temper the thing later today. Rummaging through the house while the wife is gone, looking for a pan to boil water in for removing the PBS before the temper. Then, I hope to return it to it's exact precise place (I should photograph it before taking it), so she won't know I've been in her kitchen. I think having a little tinge of danger in one's life makes the days go by better.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 07-07-2004, 01:17 AM
Master

I have used meteorite several times for bolsters. Finish it down and then polish. I etched with a mix of approx. 30% ferric chloride and the rest distilled water. You should give the etching process lots of attention. Do not try to etch so as to feel the differences with your finger nail but look to see if the pattern is definite. Do not try to polish afterwards or you will remove the pattern that has been exposed. Also expect to see holes that can be of every shape and size, along with cracks as you grind down. When that meteor came to earth it was pretty hot suff coming through the atmosphere. The holes etc are just natural parts of the meteorite. If you give me your home email I may be able to get my friend to send you a picture or two of one I made a few months ago and he has now up for sale. It is a very small one with a blade length of about 2". Hope this helps some Robert. My email is niro@telus.net Frank

Old 07-07-2004, 07:49 AM
Skilled

Thanks for the site Robbert. I can't wait to see the powdered metorite mosaic, that sounds loke it will be neat.

Jeremy

Old 07-07-2004, 08:05 AM
Hall of Famer

Frank, I'd love to see them. My email is rhrocker@hilconet.com .
I posted this photo on another forum yesterday, but some of you may have missed it. Here's one of my two meteorite pieces. I have a correction also, this meteorite is only 4 billion years old (they can date these things from the Widmanstatton (sp?) pattern, and not the 6 billion years I orginally boasted about

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 07-07-2004, 03:20 PM
Master

pfft..its only 4 billion and not 6?? not even worth looking at then! just kidding. i love the patterns that meteorite form. someday im going to get around to actually working it

as for me now that summers here all my time is spent either in the shop or in the woods hiking camping, going to the beach etc. living in michigan its cold and wet most the year so when its nice out i try to take advantage of it.

-Jason Aube

Tags
blade, knife, knives