MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:03 PM

Sharpening a straight razor

OK guys I have made few post here and I am very green when it comes to knife making and sharpening. The question I have is for my brother, he has gotten in to shaving with a straight razor. He has a strope and has been shaving with it for a while but now it is time to hone it. What do you need to use to hone a straight razor? I have no clue as to what type of stone or how to tell him he needs to go about trying to hone it. I have found some information on line, but they each seem to say something different. Like i found one that said you need to use a oil stone but not to use an arkansas oil stone then one that said to use a wet arkansasa stone so i am confuse.. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ben
Old 02-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Steel Addict

You want the sharpest edge possible so use what you are familliar with. Me, I use a translucent Arkansas with oil for normal honing about once a week with stropping before every use. On occasion I find starting with something a bit coarser refreshes the edge (about once a month) and use either a hard Arkansas with oil or an old razor hone that had been Grandads. BTW I don't use any compound on the strop.

ron

http://rpaynecreations.weebly.com/

Tags
blade, knife, knife making