MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 03-18-2002, 10:08 AM
Osprey Guy

Buff out Micarta?

I'm coming down the homestretch with my very first kit-the DDR2. I've done a pretty good job shaping the scales and the thumb cut-out (did the whole thing with my Dremel and managed to get a surprisingly even finish). Can anyone suggest what I should use (with the Dremel) to get a nice, smooth final finish. I can't find any bits that offer any more than 120 grit. I tried finer sandpapers (400-800 grits) from the auto supply-they worked but the black grit made a mess of the yellow Micarta-I had to buff out the black smears with the 120 grit Dremel bit)
I've got it to the point where it feels pretty smooth to the touch, just not quite all the way there to a production-type finish. Is it just buffing and polishing from here?
Thanks,
Osprey Guy
PS. In case you didn't catch it I don't have a belt sander yet. Since I just placed my order for 5 of those hot, new "June" kits,
I'll be getting my sander soon.
Old 03-18-2002, 04:28 PM
Kelly

Miniature felt bobs, and various types of cloth buffs are available for the Dremel. With the Dremel, I use Fabulustre white polishing compound for both plastics and metals - but cautiously, so as to avoid creating dips.
A safer route would be to resume hand sanding, going from 400 - 800 - 1200 grit, with the paper wrapped around wood blocks in order to keep the finish level. With Micro-Mesh papers you could keep on going up to 12,000 grit, and forget about any machine buffing, for a super finish.
To remove residual grit, I've found that the various gun cleaning sprays do an excellent job, and have also had good success with a toothbrush and just plain soap and hot water with white and red micartas, followed by Butcher's wax, or equivalent. The solvent in the wax appears to remove the final traces of remaining dirt.
Old 03-18-2002, 06:20 PM
Osprey Guy

Thanks Kelly. I'll probably go with the sandpaper for the time being. The grit problem gets much worse when I try to sand across metal to micarta, really turns the micarta black. I'll try the toothbrush.
By the way, where do you buy the more unusual Dremel accessories? The local Home Depot and Lowes are limited in their selections. Do you get them on line?
Thanks again,
Dennis aka Osprey Guy
Old 03-18-2002, 07:29 PM
SIGGI

Dennis,

When you get down to really fine grit very little is being removed (just the previous grit scratches). I take the scales off the knife and finish them separately. Once all the sanding is done, you can whip the scales back on in a second.

Bob Sigmon

Try WoodCraft for the Dremel accessories.
Old 03-19-2002, 08:12 AM
Kelly

Dennis,
I've seen good selections of Dremel accessories at both WalMart and Home Depot, but, due to our rural location, buy most of that type of supply mail order from Brownell's or MicroMark. Between the two of them, they have just about everything. Brownell's is primarily gunsmith supply, and MicroMark focuses on miniature models. MicroMark usually has a 20% off sale starting in the spring, and Brownell's provides "dealer" pricing to gunsmiths and knifemakers on many items.
Jantz , Texas Knifemakers, Sheffield, Koval, K&G, and others also carry huge selections
Old 03-19-2002, 09:23 AM
Osprey Guy

Thanks for the info. With the start-up of my first kit, I've been to Koval and Texas Knifemakers several times, never occured to me to check them out for Dremel Supplies.

Tags
forge, knife