MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 01-23-2006, 10:51 PM
Steel Addict

A Mystery for Hammerdownnow

Hey Roc

One for the local knife historian

A stag folding fish knife mystery.

Check out this eBay auction. Item number: 6599501138

You know something to do in your spare time.

Tony
Old 01-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Skilled

it's stamped with a registered trademark. try the trademark registry in Washington DC.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:46 PM
Guru

Tony, I tried a trademark search for ACV, CAV, CVV, etc and didn't see this. Who sees what in this mark?

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 01-24-2006, 12:49 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
That is a good one Tony. I use to have a thing for toothpics and I have a few of the fisherman's laying around. (all cheapies). And one I keep in cold storage on the bottom of Lake Erie. That is some pretty stag on that one. I have looked thru all my Bowie books and cannot find a thing out about that one. (any excuse to hit the bowie books) I did find a pic of a nice Hicks I had not seen before. Does that count?

I will consult my crystal ball and get back with you.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:58 AM
Hall of Famer

The Orical says:

"I don't know the tang stamp. But it's a modern limited edition knife, complete with serial number. The blade shapes should identify the contractor that made it"
For futher information, read what else the swami has to say about the seller (here)

My guess as to the "Contractor" would be Case.

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 01-24-2006 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Steel Addict

Hey Guys

I guess that is a vote for Makers Name instead of Makers Mark. I just thought it was a nicely done knife, with very nice stag.

I couldn't see any other ways to interpet the makers mark either Carl.

I really didn't think of Case contracting Limited Edition runs. But then I havn't bought a Case knife in over 20 years either.

I also have two "in cold storage" at the bottom of the Little Tennessee River. But then I have found enough treasures walking the banks in the winter to make up for them. I finally did learn what a lanyard hole is for.

Thanks, Tony
Old 01-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Hall of Famer

Yes case makes contract knives. I don't know if that is a Case. It just looks like their style. Hope that did not look like Bernard was saying that, because I put it under his floating head. He put it in a way that gives you a hint on how to search, so i went looking for examples and found one with the same features.

Thanks for putting me behind the 8 ball "buddy". That was fun. But that is what I do when I want to know something. Go ask someone who knows. That is a pretty piece of stag.

I am not the moderator because I know something about old knives. My job is to break up fights and delete cuss words....lol

Not that any of that happens around here...oh, once in awhile Texas Jack will stop by and cuss me out, but that is about it.

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 01-24-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Guru

Roc,

The interesting thing is not finding the trademark at the ustpo site. With the registered mark, you would expect to find it, but with all of the combinations of the initials I could think of, I still couldn't find a mark, alive or dead.

Closest would be CAV, but their mark is a lot different and I couldn't find a mark that was set up this way.

--Carl

Old 01-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Steel Addict

Connecticut Valley Arms CVA sells black powder firearms and accessories. They have sold knives, or at least knife kits, in the past. There are some on eBay now. They use CVA in their logo but it does not look anything like the logo on the knife in question. Perhaps it is an old logo they use, or maybe the have no connection at all. Something to consider anyway.

I found a link to their dead trademark. It says in part (under Goods & Services) "Sports Knives and Sports Knife Kits Comprising Component Parts to Be Assembled into a Knife and a Sheath. FIRST USE: 19771020" CVA Trademark

Last edited by Chris Meyer; 01-24-2006 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Steel Addict

Roc Says "I am not the moderator because I know something about old knives"

Ok, so just try to find a thread here anywhere on this forum about "Old Knives" That you have not posted in. We all know you are our Knife Historian.

See that way we don't have to know everything about all of this. Like you say, We just have to know who to ask for each situation.

Besides, you need something to do in your spare time at the shop, when you are not needling someone.

I think if we really knew what to look for we could find this at the Trademark Registry, that is why they are registered anyway. But without some kind of key we are still in a fog even there.

Oh well, it is still a nice looking knife. $400.00 dollars or not.

Tony

Last edited by Tony Graves; 01-24-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Guru

Chris,

I also looked through the CVA marks, but even a dead mark is archived and should have an image in the trademark registery. It could be that they put the registered portion on without ever registering it. That has been known to happen.

After posting the above I looked through the uspto site on all of the marks that came up under CVA, ACV, ACA, and didn't see anything like this. I wonder if it was ever a real registered mark.

--Carl

Old 01-25-2006, 03:40 AM
Steel Addict

Carl,

If you click on the serial number for the "dead" trademark (under the "Assign Status" tab) it says in part, "Current Location: 001 -File Destroyed". I don't know much about trademarks, but perhaps they don't save the defunct ones.

I noticed that my link to the trademark may not work because the search times out therefore, I copied the info and pasted it below.

Typed Drawing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Word Mark CVA
Goods and Services (CANCELLED) IC 008. US 023. G & S: Sports Knives and Sports Knife Kits Comprising Component Parts to Be Assembled into a Knife and a Sheath. FIRST USE: 19771020. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19771020
(CANCELLED) IC 013. US 009. G & S: Firearms, Firearm Kits Comprising Component Parts to Be Assembled into a Firearm, Ammunition and Projectiles, and Explosive Substances-Namely, Gun Powder and Percussion Caps Used for Loading Firearms and Firearm Accessories-Namely, Flints, Powder Flasks and Horns, Shooting Patches and Shooting Patches Lubricator, Bullet Seaters, Powder Measures and Cappers. FIRST USE: 19720101. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19720101

(CANCELLED) IC 025. US 039. G & S: Clothing-Namely, Shirts and Hats. FIRST USE: 19790111. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19790111

Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Design Search Code
Serial Number 73274494
Filing Date August 18, 1980
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition September 21, 1982
Registration Number 1219739
Registration Date December 14, 1982
Owner (REGISTRANT) Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc. CORPORATION CONNECTICUT Saybrook Rd. Haddam CONNECTICUT 06438
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record Peter L. Costas
Prior Registrations 1075909
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Cancellation Date April 26, 1989

Thank you for your request. Here are the latest results from the TARR web server.

This page was generated by the TARR system on 2006-01-25 04:29:55 ET

Serial Number: 73274494 Assignment Information

Registration Number: 1219739 Assignment Information

Mark (words only): CVA

Standard Character claim: No

Current Status: Registration canceled under Section 8.

Date of Status: 1989-04-26

Filing Date: 1980-08-18

Transformed into a National Application: No

Registration Date: 1982-12-14

Register: Principal

Law Office Assigned: (NOT AVAILABLE)

If you are the applicant or applicant's attorney and have questions about this file, please contact the Trademark Assistance Center at TrademarkAssistanceCenter@uspto.gov

Current Location: 001 -File Destroyed (emphasis mine)

Date In Location: 1994-05-21

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAST APPLICANT(S)/OWNER(S) OF RECORD
1. Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc.

Address:
Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc.
Saybrook Rd.
Haddam, CT 06438
United States
Legal Entity Type: Corporation
State or Country of Incorporation: Connecticut

GOODS AND/OR SERVICES
International Class: 008
Sports Knives and Sports Knife Kits Comprising Component Parts to Be Assembled into a Knife and a Sheath
First Use Date: 1977-10-20
First Use in Commerce Date: 1977-10-20

Basis: 1(a)

International Class: 013
Firearms, Firearm Kits Comprising Component Parts to Be Assembled into a Firearm, Ammunition and Projectiles, and Explosive Substances-Namely, Gun Powder and Percussion Caps Used for Loading Firearms and Firearm Accessories-Namely, Flints, Powder Flasks and Horns, Shooting Patches and Shooting Patches Lubricator, Bullet Seaters, Powder Measures and Cappers
First Use Date: 1972-01-01
First Use in Commerce Date: 1972-01-01

International Class: 025
Clothing-Namely, Shirts and Hats
First Use Date: 1979-01-11
First Use in Commerce Date: 1979-01-11

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Prior Registration Number(s):1075909

MADRID PROTOCOL INFORMATION
(NOT AVAILABLE)

PROSECUTION HISTORY
1989-04-26 - Canceled Section 8 (6-year)

1982-12-14 - Registered - Principal Register

1982-09-21 - Published for opposition

CORRESPONDENCE INFORMATION
Correspondent
Peter L. Costas (Attorney of record)

Peter L. Costas
3 Lewis St.
Hartford CT 06103

Old 01-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks for your vote of confidence Tony.

"I have had to shake a lot of dirty hands and kiss a lot of Greazy babies to get where I am today."

quote: "The Honkytonk Man", big time wrestler.

Tags
blade, knife, knives