MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 03-28-2002, 10:34 PM
Coop747

Sexy curves ahead....!! ;)

OK, we have some SERIOUS contenders working hard and doing great things with these little guys. I think *everyone* needs one of these in their repertoire!

I submit this one as my newest. I wanted to explore shapes this time around, and have always had an idea about this style handle on a folder. The great thing is, now *I* can create my favorite knife, with enough ambition.

The handles are Ironwood, as is the backspacer. I spent considerable time shaping them with a ball carbide, and then abrasives to finish. I bungled and touched into the bolsters, so I had to extend into them. From mistakes sometimes comes an even better idea! I like it a lot better.

Hand-rubbed blade, as are the highly-beveled and dovetailed bolsters (this frames the area well). Thumbstud reworked, and that shweet red liner really accents the whole thing. There is enough embellishment going on in shapes on this guy, so I left out any more fancy work. It's enough as is. More sometimes is NOT better.

You may add to the thread with your versions. As a moderator, I *have* to put my best foot forward....

Coop

Old 03-28-2002, 11:11 PM
Osprey Guy

Coop you've entered into another whole realm with this one!
Those curves are too cool. Great accent in red (I thought you only had a limited amount of that red microfiche...holding out on us huh?) It's just what that ironwood needed to set it off. I like the matching backspacer too. Changes the whole look of the knife.
Just today I was looking at a past issue of Knives Illustrated-there was a photo of a killer fixed blade with a carved handle-I thought it might be interesting to try something like that someday with one of these kits, and then here you go and knock one out of the park like this. Talk about inspiration for the rest of us! This is exploration at it's best.
Dennis

Old 03-29-2002, 12:31 AM
CKDadmin

Coop ... Coop ... Coop ...

"Super Coooooooooop!"

I'm with Dennis, the "stakes just got raised" ... Again ...!

You're a very creative man, brother! Very ...

Alex
Old 03-29-2002, 01:23 AM
Morgan Meader

Coop,

UNBELIVEABLE!!!

I don't know what else to say

Thanks for the inspiration.

Morgan
Old 03-29-2002, 08:03 AM
Darrel Ralph

Hey Coop
What a great job.
You are taking giant steps.!

Old 03-29-2002, 09:34 AM
nybble

Wow, Coop! Outstanding job. I'm wondering, aside from looking great, how well did the handle ergonomics meet your expectations? At first (well, after I got over gawking at the lines , I thought it might be uncomfortable, but as I kept looking at it I revised my thinking. You are definitely pushing the boundaries!
Old 03-29-2002, 01:35 PM
Coop747

Guys,

Thanks for the great comments! It sure is different!

Dennis: Yup--I still have that piece of microfiche working. Still one or two left! I'm going to have EVERYBODY sick of those liners!

Nybble: These knives are deceptively small, and with large fingers it makes it more so. Those pockets worked like magic upon opening (like having a clip to grab) and also fits well open. My primary intention was for style, disregarding the function, if compromised. NOT. Even if there was no pocket shape, the increasing diameter is easier to hold. I did the same thing on the stag one--increased the width to the end. Consider it.

Hey, let me clarify something right up front. For my part, this is not a contest which I'm trying to WIN. I am 'winning' by just completing these and learning and sharing my efforts and trials. I am VERY lucky to have enough tools to do a great job. If you don't have these tools you'll do your best, too. But don't even consider getting discouraged because others are 'Raising the bar'. I'm raising MY bar (which is already too high!!! ), and you don't need to jump over it.

A bunch of guys have talked to me privately and over these forums. Give me a shout with advice if you need. I'll give what I can. There are a couple of guys that *I* can learn from, too (Kelly, Siggi, Jason Burns, Darrell, Rade, et al....).

Bring it on!!!!

Coop

(Alex is always so appreciative for all of us. But--let's challenge HIM to 'put out'. Hey even a GEEK can do it!!!! : : :

Old 03-30-2002, 12:05 PM
jar

Great minds think alike. I'm working on much the same idea. Remember that piece of wood in the other shot??? I'm thinking of doing it Bolsterless this time.

I'm having a hard time getting the back spacer right. Still fighting that battle. You should see me with my hand held belt sander trying to get some of these to the right thickness

Coop, I may just pull up that first one I did with the thick ringed Gidgee and try some sculpting on it. Great idea.
Old 03-30-2002, 01:53 PM
Coop747

James,

You're right on the backspacer. I used a belt sander and was *very* careful to measure the width with a dial caliper. It's also difficult to make sure the faces are parallel on both ends. My advice might be to get it close, and finish the width rubbbing it on a fixed piece of sandpaper. Slow, but good control and FLAT.

If you have a caliper, measure the width of your finished blade and washers combined. It is critical for a tight, but easy fit to be close.Then you would need about +.001"-005" for the final clearance. The blade needs to sit between parallel washers. Darrel, is this close enough??

I would be *real* careful playing with your gidgee knife. It's epoxied together, and there is little room for error. Wood cuts QUICKLY!!!! (I learned)

Keep us posted.

Coop
Old 04-02-2002, 11:13 AM
Kelly

COOP,
Your latest looks terrific!
But - you've made more work for me as I now have to add sculptured scales/bolsters, liners and dovetails.
What tools did you use for the sculpting?
Old 04-02-2002, 09:54 PM
Coop747

Kelly--I used a 1/2" ball carbide for the inner cuts and belt sander for the rest. Then hand sanding....

Coop

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives