MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal99 View Post
I wonder what it would be like mixing RIT dye with alcohol?
Well since Rit Dye calls for hot water, I'm gonna guess heating alcohol would be like...Poof!

LOL
Old 02-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Master

Hahaha lol didn't realize it called for hot water lol.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Skilled

Heat treated the blade last night. First large blade I have done that had 0 warp Will know by later today what the hamon will look like. Or if I got one at all. most exciting part of making a blade IMO. Like a magic trick if it works. lol.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Skilled

ready for etching

and here it is after acid etch.

Funny how hard it is to predict where it will be. I had clay all they way to the tip, almost, but the hamon doesn't go into the tip.

I will etch it more later, but it looks like It has a nice hamon anyway.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Master

It's funny how hamons are so unpredictable. Looks good Ricky I can't wait to get mine rolling again

Old 03-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Skilled

Where is everyone else? Lets see some progress pics. This is why I hate a prolonged deadline. Everyone knows they have time to procrastinate,...till it's too late. I'll probably check in with those folks on the list that have not posted here since they said they were in just to make sure how many we still have.

Also, how does everyone feel about Ray's method of deciding who gets the knives? It can be found in the newbie section under the Sunday chat thread. He is starting a DIFFERENT KITH, but has some good ideas to make sure someone doesn't do junk work and end up with the best knife. I'm not talking junk as in new maker imperfections, but there may be someone who puts little to no effort in hoping to get something great back out. Ray's proposed rules would help with that.

here they are I'll quote from his website.
Quote:

A Proposed Method of Insuring Fairness in a KITH
A KITH may have knives made by very accomplished makers and knives made by rank amateurs. The point of a KITH is to showcase the maker's work and allow everyone to come away with a knife from some other maker. But, it is not desirable or fair for an accomplished maker to trade off a very nice knife for a very poor knife from an amateur. How can this be avoided and an atmosphere of impartial fairness be maintained? The following is one possible solution:

---------------------
A single KITH co-ordinator is selected. This person must have the ability to display pictures of all the knives submitted on a single web page.

Each entrant will send a picture of their finished KITH entry to the co-ordinator.

The co-ordinator will cause the pictures to be displayed in random order on a web page. It is suggested that the co-ordinator edit the pictures for size and quality so that all knives are presented in as similar a manner as possible. It is further suggested that wherever needed the co-ordinator obscure the name stamp on the knives to help conceal the maker's identity.

Once the entries are all in and the web page complete, the co-ordinator will assign an alphabetic letter to each picture as an identifier.

The co-ordinator will then email ballots to all entrants so that all entrants can rate all the knives in the contest.

On the ballot, each entrant will rate each knife with a score of 1 - 5 with 1 being the least and 5 being the best. Each entrant will be asked to judge their own knife as a 5. Most will assume that this will give them a slight advantage and will be glad to do it. Few will realize that if everyone does it the result is net zero. If they fail to do it they have placed themselves at a very slight disadvantage.

When all the ballots have been returned to the co-ordinator he will add up the score for each knife and then arrange the knives in sequence by the total of their votes.

The co-ordinator will then start at one end of the list and swap every pair of knives through the list. In the event of an odd number of entries one additional swap will be made among the last three entries so that no one receives their own knife. In this way, everyone will receive a knife that was made with approximately the same skill level as their own (at least as judged by the contestants themselves). The only way to get a knife much less than yours is to make a knife far above the abilities of the other entrants.

Finally, the co-ordinator will send an email to each entrant advising them of the email address of the person with whom they are to swap knives. It will be up to them to contact each other, exchange addresses, and ship their knives.
--------------------

These are the basic guidlines for how a KITH could be impartially judged and the knives fairly traded. These guidlines do not specify the nature of the KITH.
Everyone pls tell me what you think about this.

Ricky

Last edited by ricky_arthur; 03-04-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Master

I think it's a good idea in case there are slackers just trying to get ahead. BUT it does in a way take away a tridition in a KITH. I totally understand that a new maker won't be up to par in most cases and I am ok with receiving any knife made to their best abilities BUT I would be a little ticked to get something of little to no quality because they slacked off.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Steel Addict

I'm still waiting on a frost/snow free day. It's been coming down in buckets and I've not been able to get out to get my forge reassembled and start the hot work on the blade. I'm likely going to do more than one (since I want one anyway), I'm thinking horn handled with mahogany and brass spacers. Might go for teak, purple heart, or walnut, but I'm not going to choose until I've got the hot work done.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:27 PM

I'm waiting on some thicker steal, should arrive in a few days, progress pics after that.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Steel Addict

I'm still in had a retool issue that I think is going to work try my hand at some hollowgrinding on my new 36'' wheel
Old 03-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Skilled

Wow a 36 inch wheel? What did you do put a belt on a car tire? I'd like to see that.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Steel Addict

36'' diamiter but only 7'' long will try to get pictures this weekend. don't think a 3 foot wheel and a 72'' belt would work maybe 110'' belt?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:31 AM

Here is my sketch. Definitely the biggest one I've attempted so far. 1095 steel 3/16 thick and blade portion 9" with Ironwood handle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4487.jpg (63.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4489.jpg (49.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Skilled

Looks good scox, only thing I would say is one your pattern looks wider than your steel, and you may want to loose the 90 degree angel in the ricasso.

I had a serious set back last night. I have agonized over the handle to the point that I made 4 different handle variations. I finally got it all on last night.

Then I found this, probably from the heat of the buffer, but possibly just revealed by the polishing.

So I was up till 1 Am removing the handle which destroyed everything but the guard and 2 spacers. I needn't have worried it was gonna ever fall off. lol

Back to square 1. I might lay it aside for a few days and do something else.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Master

That's to bad Ricky. I'm thinking a solid block of cocobolo for my handle with a Damascus guard and pommel. I only have 1/4" thick Damascus so I think I might twist it and forge it thinner.

Tags
1095, 5160, 550, apply, bee, blade, choose, common, damascus, folding knife, forge, guard, hamon, iron, knife, knives, made, pitch, pocket, pocket knife, post, simple, steel, throw, what kind