MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Skilled

Is it too early for a 2013 KITH?

Is it too early for a 2013 KITH? I'd like to join one. I've been looking at all the past years KITH and it looks like alot of fun.

Update...

The KITH is on! We have enough interest. Post in the official thread (not here)if you would like to be included with a big IN! I will keep the list updated there.

Here are the rules.

Each maker will make a knife in the Category of "Fighter"
I want to deliberately keep the parameters loose so everyone can have fun and be creative. Just remember the one rule. It needs to say "FIGHTER" when you see it. It should scare me a little when it comes in the room. HAHA that does NOT mean it needs to be a foot long or more(but it could be), that will be up to each maker... Bigger knives are harder to make and take longer so keep that in mind.

The finish date will be Last day of April. I think if it takes any longer people loose interest.

Normal KITH rules apply as to who gets what knife. Random drawing.

I copied the following text from the sticky to make sure everyone knows.
Quote:
Each maker completes a knife by the draw date, and then the host draws names from the 'hat' to determine who gets which blade. The most common method (in my own experience) is to draw the names and make a list. Each maker sends his knife to the maker whose name appears below his on the list. The guy on the bottom ships to the guy on top. Done. Right? Not quite...

A KITH as it was conveyed to me is a modern adaptation of an old practice where guys at a job site would gather at lunch on Friday and throw their pocket knife in a hat, draw one out and that was what they carried for the rest of the week. Around these parts, the KITH evolved from an IITH (Iron In The Hat), where projects were kept very simple (arrowheard for example) to encourage participation.

In the end, a KITH is about community. It represents a challenge to new makers to do their very best work because they are sending it to someone who knows knives as well or better than they do. An honest critique can be a blow to a sensitive ego, but worth so very much in the development of a maker. For the ol' masters, it represents a chance to share years of accumulated knowledge and wisdom. For all, it represents a sense of brotherhood, sharing, and belonging.
Those who are IN the KITH so far...

Ricky_arthur
Imakethings
Bfrancios
metal99
AAK
Ryano
Scoxx (possibly)

Last edited by ricky_arthur; 02-20-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Hall of Famer

There's a sort of knifemaker challenge going on, it looks like they'll decide at the end if it's going to be a KITH, or not.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Steel Addict

I know I'll throw in whatever knife I make for the contest.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:39 AM

I'm in for a KITH, provided I can actually make what's outlined in the rules.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:41 PM

I'm up for a KITH.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Skilled

Well that makes 4 of us, Do we want to do it with the contest knife or do something separate? We could do a skinner, or a fighter, or whatever. I wanna try something new.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Hall of Famer

Depending on the end date. I would be interested. tactical sounds good to me. I haven't done a fighter in a while. Haven't done a KITH in a few years.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:14 PM

i would be in for a kith gives me an excuse to play in the shop
Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Skilled

Ok, how about a KITH making a fighter style knife and a completion date in march? I dont know how much Time everyone needs. It's something I could do in a week or so but I know not everyone can devote that much time. I would hope we could get about 10 people to participate.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Steel Addict

Well, if y'all wanna join in for the challenge that would be great, and would probably eliminate the hassle of managing it. The completion date for the challenge is the end of March, so it kinda fits into the time frame you're looking at.

Pretty much the target for the challenge is to make and EDC with a synthetic handle. The optional challenge I tossed in was to minimize the point of the knife, mostly to get folks brains going. If you guys want to join in, great!

The major reason I started the challenge was to give some newer folks a better look at how different people approach knife making, so photo-blogs of your process would be wonderful if you'd care to join us.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakethings View Post
Well, if y'all wanna join in for the challenge that would be great, and would probably eliminate the hassle of managing it. The completion date for the challenge is the end of March, so it kinda fits into the time frame you're looking at.

Pretty much the target for the challenge is to make and EDC with a synthetic handle. The optional challenge I tossed in was to minimize the point of the knife, mostly to get folks brains going. If you guys want to join in, great!

The major reason I started the challenge was to give some newer folks a better look at how different people approach knife making, so photo-blogs of your process would be wonderful if you'd care to join us.

I'm in for The Challenge also, but it was never decided if it would be a KITH and to be perfectly honest the optional challenge changed the likely out come of the knives from an EDC that I would actually carry. (I carry 2 knives, one folder and one fixed everyday) To something that would have only situational usefulness. Which is sort of the opposite of an EDC. My opinion only of course and I plan on completing a knife for the challenge.

A Tactical/fighter on the other hand?

AHH, they are nearly completely useless in everyday life, unless you happen to be "Down Range" (as my BIL refers to his deployments) and yet they are a fun knife to own, they have a certain feel in the hand that lends confidence and it whispers to you. (Whispering) "Yeah, I know you will probably never need me, BUT, if you do? I got your back. If fact I will make bad guys run away at the sight of me..." LOL

So how about a KITH Tactical/fighter challenge. I don't mind keeping track of it here. If March is too quick for people, then lets say finish in the spring at the end of April?

I know I'm different than most, cause when I start a knife I can't stop till it's finished so If you made the challenge end next week, I'd be all over it lol

But at the same time the more people who join in the funner it will be.

Who is in?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Steel Addict

See that's why I pushed that specific limitation, it's a design challenge to retain functionality and utility and stay within the constraints.. There's plenty of folks that make great knives, but don't really stretch beyond what they're comfortable with, so time for a curve ball. It's also a great chance to screw up and fiddle with things.

The plan is for the KITH to happen after the challenge is complete for people who participated.

In the mean time, if you want to run a tactial/fighter KITH I'd join.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Master

If we could setup a kith that would be over come the end of April or may I would join. I wanted to do the challenge but my time is pretty limited right now. I have one knife on the go for another kith and that's all the knife work I can fit in right now. I can't even start the five orders I have right now...

I think a fighter kith would be great! How about throwing another kink into things and making it a sub hilt fighter?

Old 02-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Skilled

I'm good with whatever date works for everyone else, we just need to see if we have enough interest to make it worth while.

I just finished a fighter with a subhilt so I would feel up to the task I guess. But I think that should be an option and not a requirement since some people simply don't like a subhilt.

Everyone interested in joining chime in and we will see if say a week from now we don't have enough to make it work.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:49 AM

Not sure my skills are up to par for this yet, but would definitely be interested if they were. I for one would need a little more clarification though. So far I have seen EDC, synthetic handle, tactical/fighter, fighter with a subhilt, etc. Is it any of these or will it be narrowed down a bit? Ricky's example is a beautiful knife but not really an EDC (unless your crocodile Dundee) and not a synthetic handle.

Shane

Tags
550, art, back, bee, blade, choose, design, folder, folding knife, forge, handle, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knives, made, make, making, man, material, newbie, post, steel, tactical, throw