MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast

Stabilizing wood

Are any of you guys stabilizing you're own wood?? if you are having issues with resin and wood and chambers lets get a discussion going on it! throw some questions out and see where it takes us.

Jon
Old 07-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Steel Addict

Metal99 pointed me to a product called cactus juice. I've been wanting to try it out, but have not had an opportunity to build my pressure/vac chamber. The guy also sells chambers, and from what I've seen on the pen turner boards it has very good reviews. Best thing about it is you can buy single gallons of his resin.

I would love to hear from anyone who has used this stuff... Or any other similar products.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Skilled

I bought a gallon of cactus juice and a small vacuum chamber from turn tex last week. I took my first two blanks out it about an hour ago and put them into the oven. I dont think i got a good vacuum on due to the quick release i used, I had it under pressure for about 4 hours and there were still bubbles coming out of the blocks. Ill have to see how this batch turns out, ill keep everyone updated as things progress.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Steel Addict

I am experimenting with using my air compressor as a vac pump. I set up the air intake with a quick disconect fitting. That way I can draw a vacuum. The chamber is the hqrd part, I am going to make one out of pvc.....hopefully I can get a good seal.....
Old 07-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to boatbuilder
I have never used cactus juice. (not sure what it is). I use another product call 95-1000a. It is a godfrey wing product. I have had great results with it.
I usually hold vacuum for 2 weeks and pressure for 2 weeks. some woods take the juice easily but some take quite a long time to completely soak through completely.
Jim
Old 07-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlacker View Post
Metal99 pointed me to a product called cactus juice. I've been wanting to try it out, but have not had an opportunity to build my pressure/vac chamber. The guy also sells chambers, and from what I've seen on the pen turner boards it has very good reviews. Best thing about it is you can buy single gallons of his resin.

I would love to hear from anyone who has used this stuff... Or any other similar products.
I have used that stuff and currently im using TK-TR90 resin its the same stuff only cheaper and works great!!! Troy Kreager on this site uses it all the time.

Last edited by Jon Kennedy; 07-11-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
I bought a gallon of cactus juice and a small vacuum chamber from turn tex last week. I took my first two blanks out it about an hour ago and put them into the oven. I dont think i got a good vacuum on due to the quick release i used, I had it under pressure for about 4 hours and there were still bubbles coming out of the blocks. Ill have to see how this batch turns out, ill keep everyone updated as things progress.
Not quite sure what you're saying about the quick release? are you saying you took it out to soon? I found that soaking blanks after vacuum makes a big diffrance, currently i have 6 2'x3"dia chambers going and i soak all my blanks after vacumm.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairomedicsfish View Post
I am experimenting with using my air compressor as a vac pump. I set up the air intake with a quick disconect fitting. That way I can draw a vacuum. The chamber is the hqrd part, I am going to make one out of pvc.....hopefully I can get a good seal.....
Make sure you can get at least 28" of vacum and hold it, you will more than likely need a two stage vac pump! all my chambers are 3" dia clear pipe and i make all my own caps with seals and they work good,
Old 07-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbuilder View Post
I have never used cactus juice. (not sure what it is). I use another product call 95-1000a. It is a godfrey wing product. I have had great results with it.
I usually hold vacuum for 2 weeks and pressure for 2 weeks. some woods take the juice easily but some take quite a long time to completely soak through completely.
Jim
It it heat cure? and how much for a gallon? currently im using TK-TR 90 resin, I just bought 22 gallons of it.

Jon
Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:

The TK-TR90 resin is also availabile in gallon jugs its cheaper and does a great job! currently thats all i use, last week i just orderd 22 gallons of it and its the best stuff i have found! if you are looking for stabilizing chambers i also custom make them to order, all the chambers that i make are round and see threw, the chambers im using now are 3"ID x 2' long, I can make them any size you need up to 8' long and they work great.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast

If any of you would like more information on the TK-TR90 resin PM me and i will forward
Old 07-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Steel Addict

Ok, so let's discuss chambers. What have y'all tried that failed? What have y'all tried that worked? What kind of ems caps do you use or fabricate for the acrylic tube chambers? Keep it going.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:25 PM

Hey , guys I am new to this fourm and knife making , but I have used the resin and chambers that Jon has. The resin is one of the very best out there for stabizing wood . I have a couple of square chambers . About a month ago I got a round chamber from Jon and what a nice product. IMO it out performs my square chamers . The fit and finish are awsome. I use my chambers for stabilizing 2x2x6" blocks of wood and have no problems with peneatration of the resin. Most blanks double there weight after stabilizing. Troy
Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Ok, so let's discuss chambers. What have y'all tried that failed? What have y'all tried that worked? What kind of ems caps do you use or fabricate for the acrylic tube chambers? Keep it going.
I have tried Acrylic chambers and found that they dont stand up the soaking process when resin is left in chambers over night! depends on the the thickness of acrylic and size but you will end up with complete chamber failure or spyder webb cracks all over round or square chambers if resin is left inside chambers, as you will see that some of the chamber mfgs ask that you remove resin from chamber when done stabilizing, currently the chambers i have i have had ZK-TR 90resin sitting in 6 Chambers for over 30 days and they still look like new! thats why its important to know what you are putting in the chambers and what chambers are made out of, Im currently using chambers that are made from materal that is designed for the chemical and areo space industry and is some pretty rugged stuff.
Along with the styles of chambers there are also wet vac chambers and dry vac chambers, currently im using dry vac chambers to do all my stabilizing and works the best for me, as far as the caps for the chambers, they are made one of two ways, all my chambers have been made with oring groves for caps seals or they can be made with gaskets for seals its all in what you like, since i make all my own chambers i have both types, when you are talking acrylic tubes will will find that you will be making all youre own caps since acylic tube sizes are not the same as pipe sizes.

Jon
Old 07-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to boatbuilder
I built myself a steel vessel. 20" diameter and about 36" tall. I can get approx 125-150 handle blocks in it. When I am done with vacuum cycle I just switch over to about 120 psi in the vessel.

Jon. Will you vessel be able to handle pressure? Can you get bigger size tubes? I would really like to have a clear see through vessel.
What is the juice you are using and is it safe to work with or do you need to mask up for handling it?

Thanks
Jim

Tags
bee, build, chemical, custom, handle, how to, knife, knife making, made, make, paint, products, pvc, resin, sand, simple, stabilizing, steel, throw, what kind, wood, woods