MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Steel Addict

2012 kith?...

I'm just a rookie, but I love the idea of the KITHs. Anybody planning, or wanting to do one for this year? I would definitely be willing to put my best foot forward for it!

Maybe something classic and classy like the finger knives. I'd love to see some of the designs you guys could come up with.

Entries:
TheSlacker
Recurve
Kostoglotov
Metal99

Last edited by Matt Bufford; 03-24-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:34 AM
Steel Addict

Slacker? I think not! I looked at your Bio. If you can get any intrest, I'm game, I'll find the time somewhere -Jim-

www.shullhandforgedknives.com
Old 03-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recurve View Post
Slacker? I think not! I looked at your Bio. If you can get any intrest, I'm game, I'll find the time somewhere -Jim-

Ha ha, it's an old handle I used for geocaching... Just kind of stuck with me.

lets give this thread a few weeks and see what kind of interest we get on this. What kind of standards and rules would you like to throw in this one?

Maybe 5 month timeline, any steel, any handle, any tang, sharp finger "inspired" any length, with sheath?
Old 03-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Steel Addict

I'm in favor of allowing artistic freedom as long as it stays in the spirit of the name "sharp finger". A sharp tool that acts like the extension of the hand. It is always interesting to view the individual interpretations of that theme. Should be some really neat stuff, and best of all everybody comes out a winner. -Jim-

Old 03-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Steel Addict

Sounds like a plan. I think that is a broad enough description I allow a lot of different interpretations. I hope we can get enough people on board to make it happen!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Skilled

I'm in
Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Steel Addict

Alright, three already. I'll start the member log on the first post. How many do you think we should shoot for before we begin?
Old 03-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Master

Sorry if this is a stupid question but whats going on here? Sounds like something I may be interested in if you dont mind.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Steel Addict

Not a stupid question at all. I asked the same thing a couple of years back. KITH stands for "Knife in the Hat", if I recall correctly.

A bunch of knife makers get together and each one makes a knife to be thrown into the metaphorical hat. Once all the knives are completed, each knife maker receives someone else?s knife from the hat.

There are different ways of doing a KITH, but the idea is, you make a knife that is given to another knife maker and you in turn also receive someone else's knife. It's a fun way of exchanging custom knives and also an opportunity to receive some constructive feedback about your own knife making abilities.

Does that sound about right, guys?

Jim T
Old 03-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Master

Ahhhh thats a great idea!!! I cant say for sure if I can participate right now untill I see some deadlines. I have 2 more knives in the works right now that I have to get finished up. I dont know if its fair for me to join because I am pretty green in the knife department. I have only made one so far. One of the knives I am making I am going to donate to the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation so they can auction it off for a fundraiser. The other one I am making for a friend to give to his dad for christmas.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal99 View Post
Ahhhh thats a great idea!!! I cant say for sure if I can participate right now untill I see some deadlines. I have 2 more knives in the works right now that I have to get finished up. I dont know if its fair for me to join because I am pretty green in the knife department. I have only made one so far. One of the knives I am making I am going to donate to the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation so they can auction it off for a fundraiser. The other one I am making for a friend to give to his dad for christmas.
join the club! I'm green too considering I've only finished out two blades so far. The KITHs are open to anyone who want to participate. One of my major reasons for doing this is to get some feedback from another knife maker on one of my blades once it is in his/her hands. Also I am excited to see what everyobe can come up with based on the broad description of "sharpfinger"

I understand about the timeline because I work two jobs and only find myself in my workshop a handful of hours a week. But we are looking at 5 months from the start date until deadline. If everyone finishes sooner than that, I doubt there would be any objections.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Master

Alright man count me in. I am pretty excited to be a part of this. So just to clear something up about the design. A finger knife or "sharpfinger" would be?? I googled finger knife and it came up with some really bizare knives!! lol
Old 03-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Steel Addict

As rucurve put it " A sharp tool that acts like the extension of the hand". A pretty broad description, I know, but that's where we can get a great variance of interpretations and awesome designs!

Last edited by Matt Bufford; 03-24-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlacker View Post
As rucurve put it " A sharp tool that acts like the extension of the hand". A pretty broad description, I know, but that's where we can get a great variance of interpretations AMD awesome designs!
hmm . . . forgive me for being slow but I'm having a hard time putting an image to that lol couldn't most knives be thought of that way? :? just puzzled mind you I did jam with the band till 3am and get up with the wee ones at 6 so my brain hurts just thinking about thinking
Old 03-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Steel Addict

Hey metal99, Google " Schrade Sharpfinger" that's what put sharpfinger on the map. Now take that design and re-invent the wheel. Say to yourself if I had designed that I would have****** take it and make it yours. - Jim -

Tags
art, awesome, blade, chris, christmas, custom, damascus, design, edge, first post, guard, handle, heat treat, hidden, image, knife, knife making, knives, newbie, post, sheath, sheaths, steel, tang