MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Hall of Famer

2009 Newbie KITH

This will be the primary thread for the 2009 Newbie KITH.

A KITH is a "knife in the hat," a friendly exchange among knifemakers. You make a knife, draw a name, and send your knife to that person. Likewise, another maker will draw your name and send you the knife they make.

A Newbie KITH isn't really just for the newbs. It gives new makers a chance to make a knife, develop skills, and get some feedback on the knife they make. This is also a chance for more veteran makers to try something new, and also receive comments about how those new ideas worked (or didn't). Either way, this is a chance to kick things up a notch and do your best work, since it's not a knife that you're going to give to your mom (who loves you no matter what) or your cousin Bob who you only see once a year.

So, here are the guidelines for this year's Newbie KITH. If anyone is uncomfortable with any of these, we'll talk about it and come to a consensus as a group.

The knife--any style of your choosing, but the knife must be completely your own. No kit knives or factory modifications. If you forge, that means you forged the blade yourself. If you are a grinder (stock removal) that means you cut the blank and ground the profile and bevels yourself. Minor elements (mosaic pins, micarta, etc.) may be purchased.

Heat treat--since we have some true newbies participating, I see no problem with allowing a maker to send their blade out to heat treat if they don't feel comfortable attempting their own.

Sheath--We will leave this optional. Some of you may decide that making a knife is enough of a challenge for you. For others, you may feel that it's not complete unless you can provide the "full package." Either way, it's up to you.

Deadline--March 30, 2009. Anyone can sign up any time, and drop out any time before I draw names. I will randomly draw names sometime in mid-March, and will update the list of participants in this post.

Shipping--the maker is responsible for insured shipping. If we have any participants from outside the U.S., let us know early in the game if there are any restrictions in your country on blade length or style that may be a problem in customs. (NOTE: we've had a push dagger held up in customs, and was ultimately not delivered to the KITH participant.)

Progress and support--we are all here to help each other! This is one of the best things about the Knife Network--all of the makers here that are willing to share their time and experience, so make the best of it. Run into a problem? Let us know and hopefully someone will help you out. Progress pictures are highly encouraged!!! I would definitely like to see pictures of everyone's knife when it is finished. We'll do a gallery like we did for the last newbie KITH.

The participants--here is the list of who has told me that they are participating. This is not the draw order, so if you see who is above you on the list, that does not necessarily mean that you will be getting their knife. That will be decided later.

I will update this list as people join/drop out.

Armory414 (Nathan)
Shankmaker
markd
lytefoot45
terence
mitch3705
Jimbo
AlanR
Frankallen
timekeeper
ranger1 (Andy)
NuViking
Chris Moore
Sbuzek
bindlestitch
dbalfa
DonHalter
lanemoore
Always Fishing
spaknives (Shane)
Cadillac Forge (Bruce)
pipecrafter
SIXFOOTER
jawilliams0425
willied2111
jmd61
lpspurgeon
wineland

longhunter
Kostoglotov
p moore
Txcwboy
DaveRuhlig
porkchop

Good luck guys, and have fun!

Last edited by NJStricker; 02-22-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Let the games begin!!!!!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Steel Addict

Looks good to me. The gears are already turning.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah, this is gonna rock!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Steel Addict

"Roll the dice"

So far, I've been making knives for about 2 years and have completed about 7-8 knives. (Slow I know) I made it a point to try something new with every knife and have learned from each. I've used various steels, handle materials, construction and even equipment to make the knife from full handmade to machine shop assisted. In the previous thread that was "feeling out" whether a Newbie KITH was a popular choice right now, MarkD mentioned "roll the dice" in a post. This sparked an idea in my empty head:

I wanted to try something random to simulate a customer request. So I Googled "randomizer" and hit the first link. I laid out quite a few options on paper for a knife and these are the choices I came up with:

Blade Mat'l: Stainless, Carbon, Damascus
Type: Hunter, Skinner, Bowie, Dagger (never done)
Handle foundation: Through tang, Full tang, Pin/Stick tang, Taper (never done)
Handle Mat'l: Burl, Synthetic, Antler/Bone, Combo
Grind Type: Flat, Hollow (done once)
Fittings: Brass, Stainless
I rolled the dice and let the numbers fall where they would, 3 choices = 33/66/100, 4=25/50/75/100 etc etc....
Results: Damascus, Skinner, Full tang construction, Burl handle, Hollow grind, Stainless fittings

I look forward to it. I will probably randomize types of burl just for fun.

-AlanR
Old 12-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Skilled

Hey There! This sounds like a good time to me. Put me on the list I'm in for sure.
This is written up very well by the way, Nathan. OK now lets all have some fun and make a knife. Thanks, Shane
Old 12-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanR
So far, I've been making knives for about 2 years and have completed about 7-8 knives. (Slow I know) I made it a point to try something new with every knife and have learned from each. I've used various steels, handle materials, construction and even equipment to make the knife from full handmade to machine shop assisted. In the previous thread that was "feeling out" whether a Newbie KITH was a popular choice right now, MarkD mentioned "roll the dice" in a post. This sparked an idea in my empty head:

I wanted to try something random to simulate a customer request. So I Googled "randomizer" and hit the first link. I laid out quite a few options on paper for a knife and these are the choices I came up with:

Blade Mat'l: Stainless, Carbon, Damascus
Type: Hunter, Skinner, Bowie, Dagger (never done)
Handle foundation: Through tang, Full tang, Pin/Stick tang, Taper (never done)
Handle Mat'l: Burl, Synthetic, Antler/Bone, Combo
Grind Type: Flat, Hollow (done once)
Fittings: Brass, Stainless
I rolled the dice and let the numbers fall where they would, 3 choices = 33/66/100, 4=25/50/75/100 etc etc....
Results: Damascus, Skinner, Full tang construction, Burl handle, Hollow grind, Stainless fittings

I look forward to it. I will probably randomize types of burl just for fun.

-AlanR

That's an interesting approach. That could almost be a KITH by itself, with each participant randomly selecting style, etc.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaknives
Hey There! This sounds like a good time to me. Put me on the list I'm in for sure.
This is written up very well by the way, Nathan. OK now lets all have some fun and make a knife. Thanks, Shane

Good to have you on board, Shane.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Steel Addict

im in too!! only thoughts i had was concerning sheaths, seems like it should be all or none, the sheath completes the package just seems like it would be unfair for someone to spend the time and money on a sheath and send a complete package but not receive one in return unless the design didnt call for a sheath such as a chef knife or something,
bruce bryant

Old 12-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Welcome to the KITH, Bruce.

You have a point about sheaths. If most of the others feel the same way, we can make it a requirement. If not, sheaths will be highly encouraged. I thought having sheaths optional would allow for the guys with very limited experience to concentrate on the knife.

If anyone else feels strongly about sheaths, please speak up!
Old 12-21-2008, 02:47 PM

Nathan, Here's my two cents worth...I would like to see the sheath remain in the "highly encouraged" category as opposed to a requirement.

I am really excited about participating in this KITH because the knife I make will be my first. I have assembled a few pre-made blades, but this will be the first time I have made a blade from a bar of raw steel. At this point in my knife making journey, I don't have the tools and talents to also make a sheath. I will be spending most of my time on the knife.

Unless it breaks one of the "codes of conduct" for this KITH, I intend to purchase a pre-made sheath to accompany my knife. If there is time, I may attempt to decorate it. By March, I may have tackled making the sheath too, but for now, this plan will allow me to focus all my efforts on making a knife that the new owner will be proud to receive.

Either way, I intend to include a sheath with my knife. Making it a requirement to also make the sheath will add a whole new level of challenge for a true newbie.

Thanks, Wayne
Old 12-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Skilled

Hey guys, count me in too! The one that I just completed was really fun, and pushed me in a couple new directions. And I have a pile of Aldo's 1084 that I'm itching to work with.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Hall of Famer

I have some W2 that I haven't gotten to play with yet. maybe its time to get it hot and hit it.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Steel Addict

I am in, My grinder is almost finished and since my contract is up at work it seems I have some time too. This will be my first blade in 25 years or so, so it should be interesting
Old 12-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Enthusiast

Well I would like to get in on this if possible. Thanks

Jamews

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives