MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Skilled

All sound like great ideas. The movie idea sound like it could be fun. Some type of bowie still sounds fun or the draw a name and draw a word thing sounds fun as well.
Or what about knives of different origins. Draw a name and a country. Like theres the scandinavian scandis, nesmuks from canada, and norwiegen type knives, and some others that I can't think of off the top of my head. We could go with just one style or draw names along with countries. Just a suggestion. Fighters would be cool as well.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Steel Addict

As a newbie I've wondered how I would interpret a customer's request if I were to ever get an order from a stranger. Could a KITH be associated with this? Could a KITH be switched up and the names exchanged at the beginning of the project where, from there, the "customer" could request a type of knife adding as much or as little as wanted leaving little or all to the maker? The downside of this is when someone has to back out, what then happens to the idea/request/knife? I think this would be better fit by a small group of newbies, probably, but I wanted to put it out there.

Just another idea to throw in the "hat".

I've participated in one KITH and sadly had to back out of another. I've got four knives in the (slow) making right now but depending on this timeline I could possibly join in.

-AlanR
Old 07-16-2008, 09:14 PM

I guess it all comes down to, 'what do you want to make' and 'what do you want to get'.

If your theme suggestions are because you want to MAKE a knife of a particular type, then a more open style KITH with a word drawing can suit everyone. You draw a word, say... 'mountain'.
-The guy who wants to make a period knife might do an antiqued mountain-man bowie.
-The guy who wants to make a military style knife might honor the vets who died on Mt. Surabachi during the invasion of Iwo Jima by making a bayonet or work the emblem of the famed 10th Mountain Division into the handle or sheath of a fighting knife.
-The guy who prefers service/rescue knives might do something suitable for a smoke-jumper or mountain para-rescue professional.
-The art knife guy might scrim or carve some beautiful mountain-scape into his work.
-The Japanese knife lover might honor Fujiama in his work.
-You could use woods the come from only mountain regions.
-You could use volcanic rock if you have the tools to work it.
-I might do a survival knife geared toward mountaineering types.
The possibilities are endless, and that's just ONE word!

However, if your theme suggestions are reflections of what you wish to SEE and RECEIVE (which is just fine), then we need to be very specific, so no one feels disappointed.

I like many of the ideas suggested, but would not want to copy a movie knife. If it were a 'what knife would you have made for Han Solo to wield' kind of deal, that'd be cool, but depending on the movie and character you choose, your creative genious might be lost on some people just because they never saw the movie.

I like the bowie idea. I think a totally art-deco, post-modern style bowie would be wild (though tough to make)!

I like an 'any knife in a mexican-loop sheath' idea.

I like a 'double duty' idea, where the knife has to have multiple features which let it do more than a simple knife (i.e., saw back spine, wire cutter, screwdriver pommel, etc.)

I like the idea of going to a surplus store and grabbing an old M-8 bayonet and re-using the hardware on a full custom knife.

Then there's the ever-popular kiridashi!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 07-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Steel Addict

There are lots of good ideas coming up here. I like the word in a hat idea and I think it leaves alot of room for creativity to show thru but it could go either way for me. For instance I have a mental block for what I would do if I was to end up with the word "red" other than to put a red handle on it, and I'm not so sure I would want to interpret "computer" or "machine". I would be more intrigued by the word in a hat idea if there was an opportunity to draw a backup word at the start of the kith.

If I'm going to enter the kith and make a knife, I would really like it to be a knife that someone will be able to use, not something like a Rambo knife that someone is going to go out and hack up a few trees with, then throw it in a closet.

A few other kith theme ideas I had were kitchen knife, camp knife, or a mini camp hatchet.
Keep the ideas flowing guys.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:51 PM

If I had 'Red', I'd make something with a hammer and sickle, or some other commie imagery.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 07-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Hall of Famer

Instead of each maker getting a word, how about one word and everybody work off it. That way you get several different concepts of the same general theme.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:53 AM

I could dig that.

www.kansasknives.org

Old 07-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Skilled

That sound like a good idea to me. It could still leave a lot of room to make what you want and use your imagination.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Steel Addict

Sounds good to me.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1
Instead of each maker getting a word, how about one word and everybody work off it. That way you get several different concepts of the same general theme.

Each person that wants to participate could submit a word, then we could vote on which of those words we use for the KITH. I suppose the only problem there is that once we start we couldn't really take on anyone else, unless they want to just accept the word chosen by the rest of the group.

Anyway, I like the idea. Either that or a scandi KITH. I've been attracted to those little knives, of late.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Steel Addict

love the rambo idea! what about a kneck knife kith?
Old 07-19-2008, 10:54 PM

OK. It seems there is some agreement here.

I'll start a new thread and we'll do the submissions and voting there.

www.kansasknives.org

Tags
art knife, blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives