MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Skilled

YES Rambo! No I think I had better leave those for Mr. Hibben. It could be a fun one to make though. I kinda like either the either the Makers Choice or the what would you make for Jim Bowie. I think the Makers Choice theme would kina go along with what Teknition was talkin about earlier. Lots of good ideas so far.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:40 PM
Steel Addict

I like the idea of having the freedom to make the knife you want rather than strictly one style of knife. I think if a maker can make what he wants to, the kith will be more enjoyable for the maker.

My whole idea of submitting 5 designs was to get the makers to think outside the box and see what surfaces. I agree that there are issues with drawing the design out, especially 5 of them. When I was thinking of the sketches, I wasn't thinking about full blown detailed drawings. They could be as simple as an outline of the knife shape from the side as well as top down or as intricate as you want to make them. All that would really be required is a very basic concept of what you are trying to achieve. They wouldnt have to be perfect, more of a doodle type of drawing, very general in natrure. I would think most would be able to achieve that.

If the finished knife doesn't end up looking exactly like the drawing that would be fine too, part of the freedom of the knife maker is to modify a bit on the fly, like when an oops happens or when you get the blade ground out and it doesn't feel quite right in the hand. Grind a little more off here and there and now you have a comfy design or maybe end up with a slightly shorter blade than you were thinking of

I agree that there should be alot of time provided. A kith is supposed to be a fun and enjoyable experience and being under the gun takes all the fun out of it. I don't want to limit participation by saying you HAVE to submit drawings if you are one of those that absolutely can't make a knife that way.

How does a non drawing maker that designs on the fly interact with a customer for a custom order? Does the customer only get the choice of style, blade steel and handle material? What about the general shape of the guard/bolsters and handle or does it come down to "trust me, I'll make you a nice one? I compare that to getting a tat and having the choice of color and generally what it is but if I told you I want a bear tat and let you go, would it end up looking like Yogi or Grizzly? Your concept of what a bear is and my concept of what a bear is could be miles apart, and the same would go for a bowie knife or a kitchen knife.

Hopefully we will get more makers interested and hear some more thoughts and suggestions. Though I think an Alamo Bowi may be a cool concept, for me it would most likely end up a wall hanger rather than a user. I can't recall the last time I was cutting something and said to myself "dang, I sure wish I had an Alamo Bowie right now"
Old 07-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1
How about a makers choice type thing. Each person could make what they wanted to. You could make that knife you always wanted. Then give it away.

I'll put another vote in for making what you want. It sounds like a lot of us are busy with one thing or another, and while we are about due for another KITH, I think having something too complicated might take the fun out of it for some folks, especially when it gets down to crunch time.

That being said, we haven't had a Newbie KITH in a while, and there seems to be a few new faces in the last year or so. This would be a good chance to get those guys to jump in.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Enthusiast

O.K.
Listen -up....I mean read-up. I haven't been posting lately and may not participate in this one but, What if you set the number of pieces used to make the knife? Say blade and two pieces for the hanlde. or Blade two bolsters and two pieces for the handle. etc.. That way knives would be of similar design yet the maker may have their own interpretation.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:02 AM

As far as newbies are concerned, I refer them to the stickies--all are welcome in any KITH sponsored in this forum.

A freestyle KITH is ok, but it lacks the focus that make KITHs interesting, for me anyway. Besides, I see a few ways that not being specific can ruin a KITH. I don't think anyone I've every KITHed with would be tempted that way, but hey...

I guess we just need to keep tossing around ideas.

I like 'one word' ideas too. We just say a word and make a knife which ties to it in a visible or material way.

Red
Indian
Chess
WWII
Computer
Machine

OOOH! How 'bout this? Everyone throws a word into the hat. Then we draw the words and names and pair them up as they come out in the draw. That maker gets to interpret that work in an artistic, yet fairly obvious way. This really opens the door to make what you want while sticking with a theme! What an oportunity to be creative!

What do you guys think?

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 07-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Skilled

Good one Andrew! By reading some of the other old post I relized you come up with some pretty cool ideas like that one. That could be interesting, creative, and fun. Someone mentioned earlier about doing steak or kitchen knives. I never have realy made a kitchen type knife before so that one could be fun aswell. For me anyway. Andrews idea kinda leaves it open to make what you want to a certain extent and also sounds very fun.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Hall of Famer

Good one Andy! I like that idea. So, the word becomes the name of that model of knife?

That could be a lot of fun!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Skilled

Hey lets get some more guys rounded up and keep this thing rollin!
Old 07-15-2008, 11:59 PM

Wev just need a few more to offer an opinion I guess.

I think if we had at least six players, that'd be enough. Thoughts...?

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 07-16-2008, 12:06 AM
Steel Addict

The thread is only a few days old. I think we should give it a week or 2 to let people have a chance to find it and submit their ideas.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:16 AM
Hall of Famer

Seeing were throwing ideas out there. How about a Famous Military knife KITH. This would be your interpitation of a military style blade. IE, the less experianced or beginner could do an Ek style and someone like Mr.Garrett could have the freedom to go at a wasp blade gerber style or those simply complicated grinds on the MAC-V SOG knives. Not exact copies but your interpitation. Then you post a pic of your knife and the original.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast

I know I haven't been posting much here lately, but love getting involved in the KITH's...

I always thought of a KITH as a chance for individuals to push their comfort zone, so to speak... For me its an ATTEMPT to make a period peice, or a chance to try a new finishing technique or combo of materials, and get a real feedback on the finished product....

Andy, I like the idea of the picked theme or words for the knife, that way a person is kind of forced to think outside the proverbial box and push their limits with that particular knife to fit a set "theme"

I kind of think of this particular KITH like the old books I used to love as a KID....

MAD LIBS...

We can have a style randomly picked, a color and even something like a theme, and the maker can have their way with the knife as long as it fits those criteria... It is also a very good exercise for customer relations. I have often found a customer wants a specific blade shape, likes certain colors and leaves a lot of the rest up to the maker (hopefully)

Anyway, I think a KITH needs a specific theme, to keep everyone involved on the same page. So that one maker isn't slaving over a traditional Japanese polish where others are rough forging a peice and leaving the scale on ect.... But the idea of setting a goal or theme for each maker that is UNIQUE would give enough freedom to get everyones blood boiling but still give us lots of fun stuff to look at and possibly get from the KITH....

Just some ideas....

Alan Folts
Old 07-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Enthusiast

I'm a new knife maker and would like to participate. I've been forging primitive style knives, have made a couple of bowies, and some EDC, and have scrimshawed 1 knife. All the ideas put out sound great, but I'm most attracted to an "Alamo Style Bowie". The truth is, no one really knows what knife Jim Bowie had at the Alamo, and that leaves a lot of room for interpretation. If the group goes with another plan I'd still like to participate as long as I have the skills for the job. If the KITH is for a folder (unless it's a friction folder), I'd have to just have to wait and watch and enjoy the show. I'm In!
Old 07-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Hall of Famer

Unhappy

How about a Movie knife kith? We take X# of movie titles. Manly stuff no sissy crap. You have to make a knife for that movie. Match the movie to a person(random drawing) and thats your theme. Could be interesting.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
I like the Rambo and the Military/Fighting ideas.

Dave

Tags
art knife, blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives