MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Skilled

Red face How About Another KITH

Hey Andrew and anybody else interested,
I am in no possition to say lets start another kith or have no idea how to go about starting one, but I have been very intrigued by the idea of a kith ever since I first read the thread about the gents kith a month or so ago. I had never heard of a kith before. After I read that thread and the "what is a kith" sticky I thought that was one of the coolest things I had ever heard of, and wanted to participate in one very bad. I have been wathing for another one to start but have not seen one. So I am just asking or suggesting if anyone is interested or has any good ideas to lets start another kith. I have racked my brain trying to think of a good topic but I can't ever seem to think of any good ideas. Andrew always sounds like he has good ideas about such things. The only things I have realy thought up are The coolest burliest wood handle you can find, or hunting seson is coming up so we could do hunters, or damascus blades only would be a cool one. Speaking of whick I have a blade etching right now that I need to attend to. Being that I am mostly a stock removal guy right now and have only made a few folders( none of which I would want anybody to see) I would say lets not do folders only or forging only. I'm not sure how these things work so I hope I'm not stepping out of my place when I suggest doing one. Thanks and let me know what you all think. Thanks, Shane

Last edited by spaknives; 07-13-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Steel Addict

I second the motion

I was going to get in on the gent's kith but when talk started about jeweled embelishments etc. I decided to sit that one out.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:42 AM

I was just thinking two or three days ago that someone was going to suggest another KITH any day now. We're about due.

There have bee a number of great ideas tossed around and more still, I'm sure, that have yet to come up. Now that we're talking about it, it'll be like a heavy rock rollong down hill--someone'll come up with a winner.

As for me, it better be a looooong due date, 'cause I'm buried in work and need to get some stuff finished for the Knife Group show in September. I'm cutting back on 25% of my tattoo appointments after the first of the year so I can give more time to knife making. I also have another huge project in the works...

My point is, a lot of makers are busier than every right now, so whatever we do, let's keep it simple.

I'll toss few out there to get the rock rolling.
-EDC with most creative sheath
-chute knife
-first scrimshaw attempt on handle
-scandi
-'Black' knife (i.e. dark blades, handles, and sheaths)
-knife made from a file, screwdriver, or other tool
-mini tomahawk
-homage to a famous maker
-buffalo nickel (work it in to the design somewhere--I have a roll of those things to provide)

...other ideas?

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 07-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Skilled

While I was writing this thread I was wondering how busy everyone else was right now. I am fairly busy with 4 or 5 others on the bench. So lets take as long as we need. Those all sound like awsome ideas Andy. I think the any of those would be way fun to take a wak at. What other ideas are out there? Thanks, Shane
Old 07-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Hall of Famer

How about an Alamo Bowie. KITH?

Old 07-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Skilled

I was kinda thinking a bowie KITH would be cool. Don't know how well I could make an Alamo bowie but I would surely give it a whirl.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Hall of Famer

I'm not thinking the Alamo bowie design. More what you would have made for Jim Bowie to carry at the Alamo. The only rule would be periode materials. Would be good to see some big knives.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Steel Addict

Design kith?

How about a kith that will focus more on different designs and not necessarily a specific knife style or specific materials? My idea is that you would be able to make any style knife you want but would spend more time on trying to design something unique.

For example, while I think the loveless style handle is a comfortable and good looking design for a handle, I find it to be over used. When I see a new knife with a Loveless style handle on it (especially a drop point hunter) I immediately think that the maker spent no time in developing his own style and cheated himself of the opportunity to come up with the next great design.

Rather than spending a day or 2 coming up with a design, we could spend a month or 2. I suggest we design and submit drawings/sketches for numerous knives and get feedback from the participants of the kith as well as any forum members that would like to give their thoughts. When the participant comes up with 5 designs they they are happy with, they submit all 5 sketches in a polling post and participants/forum members will cast thier vote as to which design they would like to see made. Their would be "X" number of weeks to come up with your 5 final sketches, and "X" number of weeks after the design was voted on to get the knife completed.

This way the maker can still make the type of knife he wants (folder or fixed blade, hunter, skinner, chute etc.) and I think as a result of this style of kith we will all end up with a library of different design ideas that we can all tap into for future knives. I also think with this style of kith there will be more participants as no one will get left out because they can't make a folder or cant afford mammoth ivory and diamonds etc. although if someone wanted to make a mammoth ivory diamond encrusted folder I wouldn't turn it down if I was drawn to receive it

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Teknition; 07-13-2008 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Skilled

Wow!! That is deep. I realy liked the idea of a bowie KITh, but your idea Brad sounds realy cool as well. That way you could make just about anything you want, and we would probly end up seeing some pretty cool stuff. I do have to say that drawing and designing on paper is not my strong suit. When I started this thread I about said lets do a bowie KITH but didn't. So I am pretty much game for anything. I just want to be part of a KITH. Lots of good ideas so far. Lets keep the rock rolling.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Steel Addict

I wouldn't exactly call myself a sketch artist either but no one will be grading you on your sketching ability. As long as the general idea of what the finished product will look like is presented, the route you take to get it across doesn't really matter. If anyone has trouble conveying their designs by sketching on paper they could find other means such as cutting out a paper shape and drawing the handle/ bolsters etc. or they could do a quick grind on a piece of pressboard or design it on the computer in CAD, sketchup, or MS paint etc.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
I like the Alamo bowie . Being new it would be more of the lines of what I was capable of
Or what about steak knife/ utility food knife.

Dave
Old 07-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Hall of Famer

How about a makers choice type thing. Each person could make what they wanted to. You could make that knife you always wanted. Then give it away.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:31 PM

Very intersting stuff...

Brad's idea leaves room for plenty of bowies, for those that want to make them, but I'm not sure that coming up with five designs for the group to vote on is gonna be realistic, for a few reasons.

Design is my favorite part of knife making. When I draw a profile, details as minute as the width of a pencil line are of paramount importance. When the drawing is complete, I stare at it for days, to make sure there are no changes I want to make, and to make sure it still looks 'right' day after day. This is time consuming and mentally taxing. After creating one design, another might not comes for weeks or months, for me anyway.

Then there are the guys who design as they forge. They let the hammer do the design work for them--let the steel become what it wants to be--with very little refining. To exclude these guys would be inhibiting creative design, not encouraging it.

Then there's the whole 'oops' factor. What happens if the finished product doesn't look like the drawing the maker submitted for a vote?

Remember, for me to participate in this one, it has to be 'simple' in nature. I want the group to do what they want, and if that means I can't play, that's fine. I just wanted to share my thoughts.

I like the Alamo Bowie idea for this one. The speculative nature (what you would have made for Jim Bowie) reminds me of the Armageddon and Ultimate Combat Knife KITHS. Those were fun. However, Brad's idea is certainly worthy of development and plays into my favorite elements of the craft.

LOT'S OF TIME!!!!!!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Last edited by Andrew Garrett; 07-13-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:37 PM

OOOOH! OOOOOH!

"The knife you would have made for RAMBO'

www.kansasknives.org

Old 07-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Knife Rambo don't need no stink'in Knife. For him it was just macho jewelry.

Tags
art knife, blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives