MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:28 PM

James,

Forgot to mention, that buf-horn carves real easy. It would work great for that cool quilt pattern!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 12-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Steel Addict

hehh nope no double edge there Ambition I got loads of its the follow through that gives me fits
Old 12-14-2007, 08:13 PM

Andy
For your stand up in the pocket design I now understand why you want to go with the length you do. If you go with a 5 1/2 inch knife a horizontal in the pocket would be very uncomfortable but I think you would fins that if you drop to a 5" overall with a very form fitting sheath, no belt loop that it would sit horizontally in your pocket without any issue. I carry one every day and it sits horizontally in my pocket without any problems. Mind you getting it out always looks like I am adjusting myself. Just a suggestion but why not carve a couple of pieces of wood max 3/8 thick and 5", 5 1/2" and 6 inch and see how they sit in your pocket.

James
I like the design. I would suggest that you try drawing the knife with the butt of the handle the same width as it is at the top and then slowly widen it by a 32nd of an inch until it looks just right. It is amazing on these small knives how much difference 1/32" can make.

Steve
BTW. While critiqueing everyone elses I javen't come up with my design yet.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Hall of Famer

I really like the designs that have been posted so far.Some good stuff.I can see this is going to be a great KITH.Time to pull out all the stops,and go for the stuff I've been dieing to do but was to scared.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Steel Addict

So as im reading these posts again for the 50th time Steves comment hits me like a rock, sticking a 7" blade in the pocket is well more than uncomfortable.... So has anyone made a side saddle sheath ( the sheath that is horizontal and not vertical) ? As I barely have a handfull of knives and beginers sheaths under my belt I have never even contemplated how to make one of these. Any one have any suggestions or places to look for info on this.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:43 AM

I made this sheath. It was my first crossdraw. I included rare-earth magnets for security.

Steve, I value your opinion, and I'm gonna do what you suggest. I'm sure I can get that baby down to 5.5" I'm going to shrink it in scale first (on a copier) to about 90% then shorten the blade a hair.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 12-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Hall of Famer

Here's a practice blade,I don't do alot of small blades.So I need practice
Blade forged 1095,Handle is maple burl pins are carbon stee.

Oh ya, Blade is 3"OAL is 6."

Old 12-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Guru

Hey Andy, she's a looker.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 12-16-2007, 12:44 AM

Spurgeon,

You should check out Jay Fisher's web site. He does cross draw sheaths and has many different styles too!

www.kansasknives.org

Old 12-16-2007, 08:01 AM

When I was talking vertical and horizontal I meant how it sits in your pocket. I don't make these to go on your belt they are designed to be stuck in your pocket and lay across the bottom of your pocket. That being said, if you live somewhere that you can comfortable wander around with a knife on your belt in your SUnday go to meeting clothes, then a longer knife with a real classy horizontal or vertical sheath would be real neat.

I got thinking about this after reading everyone elses threads and realized that I had my definition way to narrow. Once you decide how and where you want to carry then the size of the knife is almost automatic.

Thanks
Steve

Old 12-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Skilled

Steve, my thoughts on this knife was to make something that goes on your belt to have easy access and to show it off. That said, I am tempered in my thinking due to my life style. I always wear my knife on my belt, even at the office. Now the knife I have at the office is a folder but at any other time I have full tang knife that I carry. Being raised in Texas I have always carried a knife on my belt and like to have one that has a really nice leather sheath and is one of the things that I notice about others as they pull or use their knife. I can not tell you how many times that has been a conversation starter when meeting someone. This is one of the things that I like about this forum, not only good information and help but you get to see how the world they live in affects their outlook on knives. On a side note Steve I love your knives and have spent allot of time drooling while looking at them.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast

Started mine today and its in heat treat now....

Pics soon to follow!

Alan
Old 12-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Skilled

Mine is profiled and the bevels ground in. I'm thinking etched bolsters, but haven't decided on anything yet. I was talking with my father-in-law last night and he asked me if I wouldn't mind sending him the next knife I make so he can do some handle carving on it. His carvings are *fantastic*, but he usually works in a large format. He'd like to get some experience working within smaller constraints and an already established form, so it looks like the recipient of this one will actually get a collaboration knife.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Guru

Started mine at Alan's today as well. His are further than mine though, since I have about 400 projects going at the same time :P

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 12-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Hall of Famer

Mine is looking very good on paper anway.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives, switchblade