MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:31 AM
Hall of Famer

Is That one mine?Cool!

Old 12-14-2007, 07:32 AM
Master

Andy - love the design. It looks like a lot of carving/shaping of the scales, especially to achieve the knob on the end - somehting I've been wanting to try myself. And buffalo horn, perfect! I also like the sweep of the persian style - adds a lot of edge to an otherwise short blade.

One question though to all of you guys - does having a knife this nice mean I'll have to go out and buy a suit?? If so, I may have to rethink this whole thing.

-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 12-14-2007, 07:44 AM
Skilled

Well if we are going to already start posting designs then this is what I have already.

EDC Knife.jpg

Don't pay any attention to the lines and hole layout. Still just playing with the handle design, but this is the design of the blade that I plan to make. Let me know what you think.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:59 AM

Oops missed that. Sorry about that, then my comment would be at 6 1/4" it a little long to be carried as a gentlemens knife. Take a metal 6" ruler and stick it in your pocket. Most of the gentlemens knives are closer to 5" total length. But as I said I love the design.
Steve

Old 12-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Ok,I need to rethink this mine was closer to 7"

Old 12-14-2007, 01:27 PM

Sorry, I am not setting the rules just making a suggestion, feel free to ignore me. My kids usuallly do.
Steve

Old 12-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm just looking at all input.I'm open to anything that will help make this a better knife. Steve, with the quality of your work your suggestions are always taken to heart.(at least heavily concidered)

Old 12-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Living Legend

Steve is really worth listening to. His knives have been on my "want someday when I get the money" list for quite some time.

Dave, you can go with a western suit, boots, Stetson & bolo tie....

Jim

Old 12-14-2007, 03:53 PM

This is a great conversation to have as I'd love to get everyone's take on this. I've had many headaches over blade length, so let's wring this one out. Thanks for bringing it up Steve.

Indeed this is a full tang, and I struggled just a bit with length. It's the sweep of the blade and the knob on the end that make it a bit long. However, when I was drawing it, I had my EDC out on the desk as a guide for length. Mine is a bit shorter, but it occured to me that that's what I don't like about it.

You see, I wear slacks as a part of my uniform, and the one thing I hate is when my knife goes horizontal in my pocket. It's uncomfortable when I sit--I prefer the knife to stand vertical as it never seems to bind that way. It also makes for easy grab when pulling it out. This may just be me though.

The sheath I'm planning, as with most sheaths for 'drop in pocket' knives I make, will have a slim welt, de-horned corners, and a belt loop on the back with closely skived edges. Hopefully, this will make the loop easy to ignore when it's down in the pocket (no panty-lines ), but you also have a belt-carry option for when you're in your jeans.

Thanks for making me think about this one Steve. I'm gonna see where I might trim it a bit without sacrificing too much of the look I'm shooting for.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 12-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Guru

Well, I'm at 7 1/4" for my gentlemen's belt knife. I thought it was a bit on the long side and I might shorten it down a bit, but I'm going for a sort of narrow bird and trout, which I consider a "high-class" knife.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 12-14-2007, 04:24 PM

Wade,

I like that profile, but I also like the line you have at the front of the handle, keep it in there!

You're drawing leads me to believe your going with a bolster. I envy you. I've done two of those, and hated every frustrating minute. I've done one guard and that knife still sits un-handled under my bench.

The shape you have there would be cool with some scrap damascus pieces (I keep all my expensive scrap).

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Last edited by Andrew Garrett; 12-14-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Skilled

I was thinking damascus if I can find some reasonable, but I already have some ATS-34 so I may use that. I started with a two tier handle, that is what the two circular lines represent. But I think I am going to go with ebony bolsters and either some cherry burl or ironwood burl I have. Both have some black in them to blend in with the ebony. I was also thinking on miter joints for the handles and bolsters. I tell you this is all unchartered territory for me. I do have what I think is a really cool design for the pins I plan to use for this.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:15 PM

I was talking about damascus for the bolsters but ebony sounds great too. I have set of scales in ebony, but I've never used any.

As for uncharted territory, that's what KITHS are for! It lets us expand our skills and horizons without too much pressure. There are no 'expectations' other than do your best at whatever you decide to try.

www.kansasknives.org

Old 12-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Steel Addict

Alright here is the new one I am leaning towards I can not stress enough that this is very rough ...

Specs
Full Tang
Blade length 3.25"
Overall Length 7 "
Blade 440c 1/8"
Hollowground
Bolsters - Damascuss with a MOP circular inlay
Handle - Unsure at this point Something very dark maybe buffalo horn
The dots on the handle are actually going to be fine nickel pins
Still working on the butt not happy with a just a damascus bolster

at any rate I think I can dream big (for me anyway)

feedback would be wonderfull

thanks guys

James
Old 12-14-2007, 05:27 PM

Wow! I almost went with a quilted handle like that!

That's an ambitious design brother! It's got a bit of a mid-evil flare. I like it--definately a gent's made for belt-wear, ehh? That's cool.

I think it's the angle of you picture, but the butt does look a bit wide in relation to the tip of the blade. The ricasso looks a bit like you're going for a twin edge. Just be careful where laws are concerned--been there, done that--what a headache.

Looks great!

www.kansasknives.org

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives, switchblade