MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

2008 Gentlemans EDC KITH.

Lets start the new year off right!

***Deadline to enter January 14th, that way everyone can get their senses back together from the holidays!***

Here are the rules!!!

TRY as you might, to make a knife that will represent the finer things that we as knifemakers try to represent... Fine materials, finishes, embelishment. A knife that you would be proud to carry daily, and in public. Build a knife that would inspire awe to its design and construction. Something that your mother would be proud to show to the girls at her Sunday Brunch so to speak.

The Gentlemans EDC!

Keep in mind that state Laws are different, so try to keep that in mind when building a knife. So keep the blade length under 3.5 inches and please no double edges! False grinds are most of the time fine, but keep the daggers in the states we know they are legal! No sense in having a knife seized before your random person gets to have it!

A few thing I would like to try differently from past KITHs' is this... Participants must post a small tutorial on something they do for their KITH knife. Anyone can learn from your post! Newer makers in this KITH do not be afraid! I learn from people in my shop with way less experience than me, just thinking and doing in a different way can help all of us learn! And isnt that what this place is all about?

Also, since this KITH will have more tutorials and pictures and such throughout its' process, I think we should wait and draw the names in Late February, that way it keeps it a surprise which knife you get till the end.

So lets start it up! Post here if you would like to be included by January 14th! The deadline for this KITH completion will be MARCH 3RD!

Lets pull out all the stops and make this one to remember!

*Deadline to enter January 14th.

*Knife must be a 3.5 inch blade length or less.

*Attept to comply with all state and area laws when building.

*Theme is a "Gentlemans EDC" Be creative!

*KITH participant must include at least one tutorial on ANYTHING helpfull.
(has to be shop related, not how to sew curtains or something)

*Exchanges will be drawn Late February from participants.

*Deadline for completion will be MARCH 3RD!
LETS DO THIS!

I am in!!!

Alan Folts

Last edited by Alan Folts; 12-12-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Master

I can't wait! I'm in. I was just reading the other thread and a few people listed examples of nice gent's EDCs. When I think of a gent's EDC I instantly think of Steve Vanderkolff's pocket/purse knives. The size, style, materials, fit & finish, etc. I think are a perfect example of what I invision this KITH to be. If you haven't seen his site check it out
http://www.vanderkolffknives.com/Pocket%20Purse.html
Let the grinding begin!
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 12-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Skilled

Count me in too. I think this is going to be fun. Do we email you all our contact info or just post it here? I can not wait to see this play out. Thanks for letting rookies join it.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Hall of Famer

Im in!Let's do this thing.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Enthusiast

4 so far! Off to a good start! Everybody in, convince someone else they need to join in!! Think of all the good tutorials and knives comin out of this one!

Wade, Just post here that you are in...

And when it comes time to trade info we keep that between you and the member you are sending to.

That way there is not a bunch of information here for people that don't need to know it!

Just make sure your profile on here has a valid email addy and thats all we should need!

Alan

Last edited by Alan Folts; 12-12-2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Guru

I'm in, I drew up something interesting yesterday and I'll probably refine the design over the rest of the week.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 12-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Skilled

I'm in. The design is already in process.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Hall of Famer

I have thought this long and hard.I do believe that clean is classy.Simple is classy.The classyest woman I have ever seen was wearing a simple black dress and a single diamond on a chain.No frills no sparkle just SCREEMED class.Sterling silver,Ivory and 1095.This will be my thoughts as I work.A knife to wear with a tux.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:18 PM

Of course, I'm in! Several designs underway...l

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 12-13-2007, 07:30 AM
Steel Addict

Ill throw some steel into the mix so im in
Old 12-13-2007, 08:16 AM

I was kicking around through my design book, and plenty of drawings that have yet to make it into the book, looking for an appropriate design. Most of these, by far, have never been made. I found a few candidates, but in the end, I opted for something brand new and a bit different.

I went a bit Persian for this one, and I'm very excited about it! I may try some file work--not sure, but I am definately going to mount some cut gem stones!

So..., for you guys who mount stones on your knives, how is it done? Is it just a matter of epoxy? Are there special mounts for such embellishments?

I was thinking of a big, fat CZ in the handle (too poor for real diamonds fellas).

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 12-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Hall of Famer

Andrew you and I have to meet someday.I'm also thinking a small diamond.I was going to get a diamond stud earring off E-bay and use a drill to countersink a hole slightly bigger than the setting then drill a hole in the center same size as the earring post,little J-B weld and I'll have a set diamond.Just how I was going to do it,probably better ways,simple just works for me.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Master

I have a few designs running through my head too. I've made a few small gent's EDCs - one in particular that I think turned out well was a about a 6" OAL - 2.5" sheepsfoot blade filework down the entire spine - ebony scales with mahogony bolsters. I'm thinking either something like that again or possibly something I've never done before. What do you guys think about a friction folder? I've been dying to make one and there's just something about them that says "old school class" to me.
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 12-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Folders are GOOD!! I don't have a custom folder.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Guru

Andy,

I think Don Cowles has posted his method before. There is a bezel you can get from jewelry supply houses that click into a hole the right size, a search will probably bring up the thread.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives, switchblade