MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 06-21-2004, 11:49 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Moved: demos??

Posted by deangates:

what kind of demos are gonna be done at the next meeting? if anyone has something they would like to see done, sing out. it would help everyone figure out who should do demos at the meeting.

dean gates

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 06-21-2004, 11:50 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
oh well, i tried

Posted by deangates:

i thought this post might help with the demos for the next meeting, but nobody has given any ideas yet. i guess it's up to you carl. cyall at the blade show. maybe someone will have an idea by then.

dean gates

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist

OK, here ya go. I'd love to see a demo on hand-rubbing a blade. While we're at it, we could make it a theme meeting and have someone do a demo on mirror polishing.

One other thing that always gets me is handle shaping. My handles always wind up slab-sided, no palm swell. That's mainly because I'm not sure how to get a good fit, and I'm too afraid to mess up my good handle material. If we could talk him in to it, the young fellow (can't remember his name right off) that was at the last meeting with the unfinished bowie could do a jam-up job on that demo. That was one of the most comfortable handles I've ever...well...handled.

Here's another -- tapering tangs.

And another -- How the $&^@# does John get his double-edged stuff to come out so darn straight? I'm talking the line down the center where the grinds meet.

And speaking of John's grinds, how does he get such perfect radiused plunges. I'm not sure if that's the proper terminology, but if you look at the "plunges" on his daggers, you'll know what I'm talking about.

How about tool safety? Or material selection? Heat treating?

Is that enough?

Posted by mrsjoan:

Well now, I don't make knives---I'm dangerous enough around a hot stove but here is a suggestion--how about how to "collect". I see lots of stuff bought with no real rhyme or reason. My thoughts always are I could leave it to my grandkids but I don't want to leave them a hodge-podge of stuff with little value.

Does anyone know "how to collect" knives?

Like I said---I am dangerous.

----------------------------------------------

This is from John:

Since it was mentioned---I (John not me) will do a tapered tang demo at the August meeting.

Ah a suggestion and a demo what more could a post need?

Old 06-21-2004, 11:51 AM

jamey, i think your questions might be answered

Posted by deangates:

i'm not against doing a hand finishing demo if asked. i don't care for polishing so someone else would probably do that much better. handle shaping has alot to do with trial and error, but i would like to see someone do a demo on that too, but everyone likes something different. john said he'll do a demo on tapered tangs and i thing he should because he's the best i've ever seen at it.as for his double edged stuff, you can chalk that up to years of practice and alot of steel. i know personally that there is no trick to make it easy. i've tried.anyway, if i can help, or if anyone else has any ideas, sing out. we have enough members now to do a demo on just about anything.

Dean Gates

Tags
blade, knife, knives