MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Registered

New to knifemaking, need a hand

I'm new to the knife making scene and I'm looking for a little guidance on a design for a freaking huge knife. Some may call this ridiculous knife a sword or machete, but that's ok with me.

Basically, my design is as stupid simple as possible. It's an almost square blade 20 inches long with a round wooden handle 10 inches long. I honestly have no idea where to begin. I've been looking at metals, but since I haven't the slightest clue as to what metal is good for what purpose I'm pretty lost.

I want this knife/machete to be something of a catch-all in my outdoor activities. We've got some hog problems and I'm always worried that my Redhawk won't be enough to put a charging pig in the ground. Some people tell me that I should go spend $1000 dollars on a new gun, but I'd rather have something I can clear a camp site with.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Steel Addict

Buy the gun, then make a smaller more reasonable Skinner! I've seen the size of them hogs.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Skilled

If you can't stop a hog with your Redhawk, that blade won't do FA if it gets in close. It'll turn you to sushi with those tusks.

Sounds like you're looking at a machete.

You could probably buy what you're looking for easier than making it.

But it's a huge difference between using a regular skinning knife, or even a large size bowie, and the kind of chopping short sword/brush cutter you're describing. Under a stressful situation like say, a charging tusker, you're likely to lop off parts you're attached to.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Enthusiast

The best thing to do other than make a knife, or buy an AR15 or M1, or the like would find a good, honest trapper to trap the hogs and let him sell them for profit. Thats what a bunch of the ranchers and farmers in my area do. They get rid of hogs for free and the trapper makes a good bit for selling. But why on earth you'd pay big bucks for a nuisance I'll never know.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Hall of Famer

If this is just a one time thing, buy the gun and a good machete. Personally, I wouldn't want to go toe to toe with a big hog, or tusk to knife, without a couple of good boar dogs on my side. Even then, my first choice would be a carbine that through a big slug and use the dogs only if I had to get them out of thick brush.

If you want to make knifes, then get yourself some good books, Wayne Goddard's $50 Knife Shop would be a good one to start with, decide if you want to forge or do straight stock removal, and start putting together the tools to work with. The last thing that you want to do is to start with large blades, least of all sword length blades.

Doug

Tags
art, bee, blade, bowie, design, forge, hand, handle, knife, knife making, knifemaking, machete, make, making, outdoor, simple, skinning, stock removal, tools