MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 04-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Skilled

Trackrock Spring 2009 pictures

I made it to Trackrock if only for Saturday morning. There was the probably the biggest crowd there yet. Lots of new and old faces and hot forges and ringing anvils all over the place. I snapped a few pictures then locked my camera in the truck with my keys and ate up the rest of my time trying to get it open. But you can always get someone to help at Trackrock even getting your truck unlocked. I had a great time and it was worth the effort to make the trip. Thanks to Carl and the Alexanders for all the effort that goes into one of these hammer-ins. They just keep getting better.

Here are some pictures fill in with comments if you know them or feel the need.

It's happening on the inside! Dennis Bradley had his display set up and was demonstrating fileworking blade backs.

Display table

If you don't know Sandy, you owe it to yourself to make the trip to the next Trackrock hammer-in, if just to get to meet him. He is holding one of his fantastic sheaths.

Next is a picture of Carl doing what he does best. Teaching a young man the art of forging, building memories and sparking an interest.

The results..... a grin and a great knife.

John looking at a piece of steel that has just done something wierd.

A great looking hawk out of a railroad spike.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Steel Addict

Great pictures Harry , i think evryone had a good time . This thing seems to grow larger every time they have one . Scott

Old 04-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Skilled

A few more pictures. Hope I didn't catch someone that isn't supposed to be there.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:02 AM

Great pictures Harry!
The young'n, Scout, went on to complete another knife - a full tang hunter with a 4 1/4" blade. The double edged dagger is even much more impressive up close. It was his 5th blade to date and the hunter is his 6th. He just turned 8 and did his first, a blacksmith knife (traditional FOOSRK) when he was 4 1/2.
I can hardly wait until he can hold for himself. Then I can sit back and enjoy watching him work. It is really something to work with a focused young man like Scout, he is completely committed to finishing a blade once the first blow is landed.
He kept Joshua and Doug on their toes the whole time, with helpful observations and critical eye. I think he pushed them to stepping up their concentration on hammer control and placement. Many folks can learn something from watching this little "power hammer" go at it.

One quick walk-through before lunch on Saturday, I counted 13 dragons breathing fire, 16 anvils doing their jobs, and Harry wasn't even set up. We were close to that many on Friday as well. Lots of steel got mangled and beat into blades. Best part, was a lot of young people got to try this art on for size and get excited about it.
DON'T GET MUCH BETTER!

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-07-2009, 07:48 PM

Patrick and I wanted to thank the guild for letting us set up with you guys and try our hands at making some knives. We had a blast and look forward to being able to be apart of this wonderful guild. We hope to see everyone at the meeting in May. Hopefully I will be done with the knife that I was working on so that get everyone in put on how I did.

Again, thank you for your hospitality and making us feel like part of the group.

Hilery Wilson
Old 04-08-2009, 05:31 AM

Hilery
Glad you and Patrick made it up. Even better that you had a good time. That's what Trackrock is about, plain and simple.

Although of little consequence in the overall scheme of things and a mute point in my opinion, the Trackrock events are NOT "Guild" sponsored EXCEPT on specially announced occasions.
Most of the participants are GCKG members so it pretty much seems to be a guild event and we even conduct a good bit of guild business on the side while there.
Anybody interested is welcome, although we may promote the GCKG to some extent, we do not want anyone to feel obligated to become a Guild member. As past president, yeah, I'm going to at least talk to you about Guild membership, but no pressure.

Again, very glad you two made it and hope you will make it a habit.
Big Warning Here - It's very addictive!.........There is no cure!

ps - Scout told me Sunday evening that you did ok for a "girl". I asked him if he wanted to rephrase that to "beginner". He just grinned and said "No sir". (high praise from the mini-Master)

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Last edited by Crex; 04-08-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:07 AM

For those of you that don't know ........... this was Trackrock #13
(7 years and it just keeps getting better).

I just want to tell everyone THANK YOU!

A lot of you guys are stepping up and taking on teaching/instructing/demonstrating those interested in the artform of bladesmithing. Kind of a scary task to start with but you do it with a grin and no complaints (I know you're liking it). Many young and not-so-young folks are getting a hands-on experience of a lifetime. Some will pursue it, many will not, but they now know it's a reasonable possibility thanks to you.
Russ and John - tommahawks; Rick, Randy, and Mike - blades; Craig, Ken and Don - anything and every thing; Especially Don with all the running around you ungrudgingly did to make the lunch thing work out and the Iron in the Hat a success; Ruth - copper smithing demo; even had one of our newest converts, Doug helping with the Scouts that showed up for the experience; Sandy - sheath making demo and just being there; and Dennis - fileworking and scrimshaw demos; Joshua - post lunch Bagpipe concert.
I probably missed someone, but not intentionally.
Finally, you guys that can and do stay to help clean up, can't say enough (Randy, you missed a spot behind the band saw.....kidding)!

You guys come together and make it all Work!!!.....thank you, thank you, thank you!

A very special thanks to Frank and Debbie Alexander and Trackrock Campgrounds for hosting these events. You make it possible and always go to the extreme to make everyone welcome and comfortable. It's a very special place. Frank appologized for not getting the "Brag Board" out for display, just got too busy.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Last edited by Crex; 04-08-2009 at 07:09 AM.

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives