MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to J Tunney
Thumbs up Chuck Burrows DVD

Awesome DVD...for some reason this didn't take when I first posted but I will try it again.

I took really good notes while watching the DVD, but I missed a few really important points.

1.) Did CHuck say he uses 5 cord RIGHT HAND twist linen thread? I replayed that spot several times but couldn't catch it.

2.) Where can you find the beeswax/pine pitch mixture CHuck uses on the thread?

3.) If I am drilling 3/32" holes after I am glued up on a pouch sheath can I use #00 harness needles or are they just too small....I ask because I bought them before I knew about the DVD.

4.) I was always told for a knife to fit a puch style sheath it had to be fitted in plastic wrap and molded in the wet sheath.....is this all wet or do people do that after gluing up the welt?

Any help appreciated
Old 02-04-2007, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tunney
Awesome DVD...for some reason this didn't take when I first posted but I will try it again.

I took really good notes while watching the DVD, but I missed a few really important points.

1.) Did CHuck say he uses 5 cord RIGHT HAND twist linen thread? I replayed that spot several times but couldn't catch it.

2.) Where can you find the beeswax/pine pitch mixture CHuck uses on the thread?

3.) If I am drilling 3/32" holes after I am glued up on a pouch sheath can I use #00 harness needles or are they just too small....I ask because I bought them before I knew about the DVD.

4.) I was always told for a knife to fit a puch style sheath it had to be fitted in plastic wrap and molded in the wet sheath.....is this all wet or do people do that after gluing up the welt?

Any help appreciated
Howdy J - I'll answer below:
1) I use 5 cord Barbours Red Hand Linen thread - right or left hand doesn't matter for handsewing. I get my 1 lb rolls from - a lb roll of 5 cord is 1076 yds and cost around $55.00 - that sounds like a lot but in the long run is MUCH cheaper......:
Mid Continent Leather Sales Company
11150 S 265TH E AVE
Coweta, OK 74429
(918) 486-2900
(800) 926-2061

2) I make my own mix of bees wax and pitch: Beeswax - I haven't bought any in years (I traded for 30 lbs some time ago....) - it's best to get refined wax when possible rather than raw. I've heard that some good deals can be found on EBay, do a Web search, check local hobby stores, or check your local phone book for bee keepers/honey sellers......
For pitch I get the Brewers pitch from James Townsend & Sons:
http://jas-townsend.com/product_info...roducts_id=373
I metl them together in an old crock pot (a double boiler also works) at about a 60/40 mix of wax to pitch (the more pitch the stickier - and some folks will add a teaspoon or two of olive oil to the mix). Once melted I let cool a bit and then while still melted I pour into used yogurt containers (about 1/4 full) - cut away the plastic and voila a perfect size ball of sewing "wax". You can also use old ice cube trays (spray with Pam first in order to release) or do like the old timers - pour it into a bowl of COLD water and work into a ball IN the water. CAUTION: wax and pitch are flammable so be careful not to get too hot and beware of open flames - also it is like napalm if you splash it on your so use safety precuations (gloves, goggles, etc.)

3) I never drill so I can't answer that one - I use mostly #1 or "O" size needles with an awl..........

4) I do all molding after construction.........

hope this helps and as always others mileage will vary.........

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to J Tunney
Yes it helps a ton Chuck...the DVD was so well done I wish I had known about it before I started buying my tools, etc. I did get the Al Stohlman book as part of a Tandy handsewing kit....so with that and the DVD I have two top guys in my corner.

Do you think I will get away with #00 needles or should I buy others....doesn't really matter as I want to do as much right as I can. I know I will make mistakes but I think the more focused I am on perfection the less leather I will waste.

Not trying to cover you up with questions just trying to get the most bang for my buck. I really, really appreciate your time probably more than you know. I just realized most of my questions were already on the stickies above, and I apologize for that.

Thanks again

John

Last edited by J Tunney; 02-04-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:03 AM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Just ordered my copy of the DVD, Chuck. Wish me luck...I'm gonna need it...l
Joe
Old 02-09-2007, 06:45 AM
Steel Addict

Well
I totaly agree i got my copy yesterday and my ass was glued to the chair for 4 hours straight.
Tnx Chuck a really god dvd.
LJ
Old 02-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Skilled

My only regret about Chuck's sheathmaking DVD is that I took so long to order it. Like Zimba said, Joe, get ready to be glued to your chair. - Jim
Old 02-09-2007, 05:02 PM

Chuck, your DVD is awesome. I do have a question if you do not mind.

Did I understand that you use bag coat to finish the leather? I looked at the Tandy catalog and could not locate the product.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:12 AM

Please disregard my question. I read the sticky on finishing which answers my question and really covers the subject. My bad.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tunney
Do you think I will get away with #00 needles John
You should be fine - they will just make a slightly larger hole than the smaller needles......

Frankc - glad you found the info there but FWIW it's Bag Kote by Fiebings......

Joe - yours went out Friday 2/9........

not problem with questions folks - just may take me a day or two to get back here but I will get back.......

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Steel Addict

DVD gone platinum yet?

Seriously, it's a great DVD, well worth the money.

Charlie

Tags
knife