MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:11 PM
Registered

Am I on the wrong path???

As someone newer to making knives by the charcoal forging method, I like my to forge my blades to shape and use a minimal amount of stock removal. Just enough to cleanup edges tang, fit up bolster, etc. I like the look of the hammer marks defining my bevels, and ricasso areas. Am I missing something or am I going down a wrong path......

I like this look, I'm just trying to figure out if I should be doing less forging and more stock removal.

-Erastus
Old 05-31-2007, 08:31 PM
Living Legend

If you like it then you are on the right path. Why make knives that you do not really like? Certain people will like your style and some won't. Never let them dictate to you how or what type or style of knives to make.

If you plan on making money off your knives then you may have to adapt your style more towards what may be popular at that time. I sell more primitive type blades because China and Pakistan are not making those to be sold at Wally World. They are so much more unique and individual.

I do like your knife and the texture and file work is great. But there are a crop of people on the forums that do not like a visible plunge on the edge with a primitive blade. If you try to fiqure out all the tastes of all the different bladesmiths you will end pulling out all of your hair. I personally do not mind a cut plunge, to me it says SHARP!!
Old 05-31-2007, 09:25 PM
Hall of Famer

Looks good to me

I don't see a thing wrong with it, production wise. I have to admit that it's not a blade pattern that I would choose, but outside of that I can't find fault with anything that I see in the picture and I just flat out love your interpritation of the vine pattern. It really compliments a more primative type blade.

Doug Lester

If you're not making mistakes then you're not trying hard enough
Old 05-31-2007, 10:58 PM
Skilled

steady on mate! looking good!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Steel Addict

Looks good to me, man! That's one heck of a beefy blade.

I love the filework, too. (Of course I'm a sucker for filework.) I'm not sure I'd put it where you have, but it's your knife. Like the man said, you can't please all the people all the time.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:58 PM

Looks like a good path to me!

Old 06-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Skilled

One thing I've learned is PATIENCE. Hit it, file it, grind it until you like it. You are on the right path. We are all different.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Enthusiast

Am I looking at photo's of 2 different knives? Any way I really like the look. If you are going for an 1800's or 1700's era knife look I think you are on the mark. Most knives were made by the local blacksmith when he wasn't shoeing and caring for horses, repairing implements, making tools etc.
In other words I believe function was way more important than finesse simply do to time available to make a knife.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasp181
Am I looking at photo's of 2 different knives? Any way I really like the look. If you are going for an 1800's or 1700's era knife look I think you are on the mark. Most knives were made by the local blacksmith when he wasn't shoeing and caring for horses, repairing implements, making tools etc.
In other words I believe function was way more important than finesse simply do to time available to make a knife.
Rasp181

These are two diffferent knives, they are are in the fit up stage. I thought the second one would be very unique with a couple inches of filework on the spine down toward the tip.
I've taken the time to forge these knives to shape, including bevels. I thought removing a lot of stock to get the profile and bevels with a belt grinder would be counter productive. I am going for the fur trading era / mountain man / rendezvous look.

Thanks
-Erastus
Old 06-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast

####, that's a gorgeous blade. Keep on at it, hammer finished blades show REAL hammer technique, it shows you are not just riding a grinder all day.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:12 PM

I think what everybody is saying, Erastus, is you and only you can choose your path. You will be the one to determine if it's a pleasent path, an exciting path, or a pain in the path.
Looks to me that Mr. Lively had as much influence on your work as your choice of forge.

Looks like a good path to me. Keep on truckin!

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives