MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 06-23-2003, 11:32 PM
Skilled

how many templates

I was just kind of curious, do you guys have several templates/ designs you work from or is every knife a completely new design? I figure there's a thousand different things to do to one template, but how many would you want to keep around? just curious
Old 06-24-2003, 02:20 AM
Living Legend

I know what you mean.

This is a very similar topic to this thread I posted.

http://ckdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15018

I have plenty of drawings and photos of the knives but not a single hard template, ie.- each knife is still done slightly differently and worked along as I feel at the time. I do measure as accurately as possible so at least dimensions are close. The variations are probably much more obvious with forged blades. I'm not that good at reproducing a shape under the hammer.

Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 06-24-2003, 07:12 AM
Skilled

Templates

I make a template for every knew knife I make. It starts out on paper and when I get something I like it is then cut out of 1/4 inch hardboard. This gives me a chance to hold it in my hand and feel how the knife may fit and look. Once I get the hardboard knife finalized I can scribe it onto the steel for stock reduction. This allows me to repeat my favorites. They are not cookie cutter knives though. As I scribe a knife onto the steel I will make free hand adjustments quite often. Even as I profile the knife I will not always adhere to the scribed lines and alter the profile on the fly. I have a box of templates that I will rummage through occaisionally and maybe one will give me an idea for a modification that may work. Some of these templates were one knife wonders and a very few of them are requlars. Even with templates no two knives are ever alike. One template comes to mind that I made one knife from and didn't like it. A couple months later while looking over old templates I picked it up and got an idea. After a modification it became one of my favorites. Just the way I do it. And just as you, Doublearrow, I'm kinda interested how others do it. Thanks for the thread.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds". Albert Einstein
Old 06-24-2003, 07:29 AM

I guess it really depends on how you define templates. I have boxes of paper drawings of knives, I have 10 to 15 hard cardboard templates and 2 steel templates. I tend to use the paper the first time, if it works for me I will then make a cardboard cutout for the next generation and if it becomes a standard then it gets a metal template.
Steve

Old 06-24-2003, 08:29 AM
Guru

I use templates for stock removal knives mainly to lay out the profile to get started. I find that doing stock removal knives the best way to get started is to make a steel template, it gives a good start on the way the the knife will feel when finished.
A forged knife is truly one of a kind, I have in my head what I want to do then go to the forge and do it. Gib

Old 06-24-2003, 02:25 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Ansoknives Send a message via AIM to Ansoknives
I have about 45 steeltemplates so far. On every new model I make new once. I even made a few new templates from blades where i had to modify the shape. if I show a picture of a knife I need to be able to make it again as this is the way I most often get orders. "make me one JUST like that!"

It saves my a bunch of time. On folders I have used kydex for templates as it is fast but will make steeltemplates for more precision.

I even use templates for the handles on some of my most popular models. As I make alot of knives with no guards or bolsters this is mostly to get the shape of the front.

Tags
knife, knives