MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 09-07-2001, 01:35 AM
ansoknives

So what are you into?

Tell us what you like in a sheath...being for a collectors piece or hunting knife...does a collecting piece need sheath?..I think they do...but what do you think?

Should it be plain, tooled, fancy leather...cases what ever...let?s start a discussion!
Old 09-07-2001, 07:58 AM
Sweany

YES

I think a collector grade knife should have a collector grade sheath.

I am partially to fine leather, exoctic leathers and hand tooled. I do a lot of eagles on my carved sheaths. Isaiah 40:31
Old 09-07-2001, 01:57 PM
MJHKNIVES

Re: YES

On collector grade Bowies,Mediterranean,etc.,I like the silver sheaths,or those with silver throat and tip.What I would really like to see in here,is a tutorial by someone who knows how to make those.Get on that immediately will you Jens.
Old 09-07-2001, 03:10 PM
ansoknives

HA...ya right......Actually I know a few who does silverwork like that...but that is not really my style
Old 09-07-2001, 07:57 PM
J Loose

I like the Scandinavian style sheaths- I just got a book on 'Pauting,' and have already learned much from the pictures. Alas, the book is in Swedish!

Although I understand the functional advantage of materials like kydex they just don't work for me. I prefer natural materials.

I do think a knife should come with a sheath- and ideally it should really relate well both functionally and visually with the knife. I think that is one good reason for a knifemaker to make their own sheath- consistency of vision. Not that a professional sheathmaker can't pull it off!

How much input do knifemakers who send out their knives want / get? Is it more like a collaboration or do you just let 'em go to it?
Old 09-08-2001, 02:12 PM
DC KNIVES

I think every knife should come with a sheath.I am partial to hand tooled and snakeskin inlays.Dave
Old 09-30-2001, 10:19 PM
Normark

Hey Jloose

Jloose writes

"How much input do knifemakers who send out their knives want / get? Is it more like a collaboration or do you just let 'em go to it? "

To answer your question from the point of a sheathmaker...

I have Very,,even Extremely close communication with my knifemakers... The ones I work for on a regular basis have changed some things on my recommendations,,and how make knives that are Concealex friendly...

There are certian things on a knife that I need to do a good job..The makers that understand this, and make these changes will see a drastic improvement on how the knife fits,feels and performs...

Close communication is very important,,and input from the maker is mandatory.. I want the maker to know what he's getting, and I want the maker to know, that I know what he wants,and needs from a sheath...

Sometimes I'll be set free to do certain things,,and sometimes the outcome is good,,sometimes it's bad and i have to change it..
I've made changes on a sheath style of one of my makers,,showed it to him and the maker ordered all of his sheaths made this way..Thats a good thing...

A maker in tune with his customer base in regards to wants and needs is also important...

ttyle

Eric...
Old 10-01-2001, 12:23 AM
ansoknives

JLoose....I go that pauting book too......And I casn read sweedish so if there is anything I can do...! Just let me know.

Eric: This sounds good.....If I was not located in Denmark I would have all my kydex farmed out....And you comes first to mind.

Tags
hunting knife, knife, knives