MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:04 AM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Mike, I am terribly insulted, but being a reasonably fair minded man, I will give you your choice of weapons. Coffee mugs in the morning or Martini glasses in the afternoon?

Old 02-05-2007, 02:05 AM

Dave, Where can I get one of those tools?

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 02-05-2007, 07:56 AM

Thanks for being so gracious Sandy -- I choose coffeee mugs

Andrew, I think Paul will chime in with info on that tool

Mike

Old 02-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Skilled

Thanks Sandy! I agree with Mike.your timing is amazing! I got out my old utility knife and found a few rusted, chipped blades, cleaned one up, stropped and works great! How come you guys didn't tell me this sooner!!!

Andrew, Paul Long generously gave me this high quality tool and I'm not sure where he got it. I will tell you that Paul said he prefers the cheaper Tandy groover. Mike and I were also talking about how all these different tools are great but not absolutely necessary to do the job, just makes it a little easier. As everyone else, I would love to have all the different edgers, creasers, groovers on and on, you can never have enough tools!!

Dave

That would be great to join you guys for a cup of coffee and a little shop talk!!
Old 02-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Skilled

Andrew, I bought the groover that is now Dave's at the annual Boot and Saddle Maker's Round Up in Brownwood, Texas in about 1999 or 2000. It is custom designed and made by Ron's Tool Company. I don't even know if Ron is still in business, but the last address I had for him was/is PO Box 1061 Kalispell, MT 59901 and the phone at that time was/is 406 756 8134. I can't really remember what I paid for it, but it was fairly expensive. About $100 comes to mind. I have another one of very similar design and priced about the same made for me by Danny Marlin of Blanket, Texas. Now that I've told you what I have/had, let me tell you the one I use by preference. I have and use a "set" adjusted permanently to 1/8", 3/16, 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8". They are all stock nr. 8074-00 sold by Tandy/Leather Factory. They retail for $10.99 and with my "business/dealer discount" they are $5.50. I don't know where you would land on the pricing, but even at full retail I'd find them to be just what I want.

Paul

For what it is worth section: I have three different "round/head" knives that I use to cut all my patterned leather. A couple of them have been modified from the traditional shape to accomodate those pesky inside curves, but I've been using them so long that I doubt I could even control a utility knife as well. The best thing is that the fatigue factor is zero using the round knives.

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net

Last edited by sheathmaker; 02-05-2007 at 03:31 PM.

Tags
blade, knife, knives