MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 01-02-2003, 06:37 PM
Steel Addict

David's book just came out. I am sure he would like to hear from you. His memory of his customers and students is amazing.

I find Grant's Encyclopedia to be excellent but harder to use than David's new book. David's book was tailored to beginners, but he has included loads of tips and practices that make braiding easier to learn and do. He has studied master whipmakers to see how they arrange the leather and hold it to make braiding less tedious to the fingers. He has some of this in the book....much of which Grant does not even cover. Grant for fancy patterns, great looking knots, practical horse gear; Morgan for basics of getting good quality 4, 6, 8 or up to 16 plait thongs. David does not cover knots so you have to have both books.

Nice crop you braided by the way. I have a 6+ year old project for a Dog Quirt and a Dog lead that I must finish someday. Cutting a tapered set of strings is still beyond my ability. I am just now going to try my hand at cutting a straight set kangaroo hide.

He now has until March to rewrite his first book. He is hopefully going to include the history of whips developed and used outside of England, Australia and North America.

I consider myself to be very fortunate to know him.

Here is his site

http://www.davidmorgan.com/

His Original Book

His Newest (and Best Beginning Braiding) book

Bruce Grants Required Classic

His 12' BullWhip

Everyone needs this item! Impress your neighbors with firecracker cracks without explosives.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah but you could put an eye out with that thing!

(ask me how I know - if I didn't wear glassess....Indiana Jones I ain't. Of course remember how he got the scar on his chin!)

Bruce Grant also has a neat little tome on "How to Make Cowboy Horsegear" Mostly braiding including how to braid a reata, but it even has a chapter on saddle making.

That crop and it's mate, my wife's, were the last real braiding I turned my hand to. About the only thing I make now are braided buttons for pouches and chaps or once in a while a lanyard.

Thanks for the pics.

When I first met David I had gone to his shop to buy an Akubra hat and one of his braided bands. I saw him maybe a half-dozen times in the next six months and then moved to North Idaho. I moved back three years later and on a trip to the city stopped in. When I walked in the door David squinted at the wide conch studded leather band I had replaced the original with and asked what had happened to the original braided one, it hadn't broken or anything had it because if so he'd replace it! Still have the hat and the braided band. Hat's pretty worn out now though - 15 years of daily wear tends to do that.

Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Last edited by Chuck Burrows; 01-02-2003 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Steel Addict

Here is a picture of the reverse side of Mike's sheath for the Dozier.

I find that it pulls the sheath nice and tight into my left side. I have other cross draw sheaths that constantly bother me because they tend to really stick out from my belt. This one hold the knife at a good angle in relation to my fat!

Apologies in advance for my graphics posting skills. Hopefully this one will fit the page better than my last.

Old 01-03-2003, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm that layout sure looks familiar. Now I'm not laying claim to the design but take a look at my "And now for something completely different sheath." Although I wear it center back it was also in my head when I made it that it would work well as a crossdraw.

Form really does follow function and these two sheaths are a perfect example that the same good design concept can come from different sources. When I made my first EDC sheath of this type 7 or 8 years ago I had never met Mike so we sure weren't collaborating or influencing each other.
Hey Mike maybe we're psychic like Miss Cleo! (or maybe it's the altitude)

That is one fine sheath and I really like those rounded ends. Are you using linen thread or nylon? Either way the stitching is excellent.

Great job all around
Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:47 PM
Steel Addict

I ask Mike to do a rounded end sheath for me because I always wear a wool vest to cover my "tools". I have had sharp pointed sheaths catch the cloth, poke my car seat, and generally get in the way. I like to have my tools be there but not constantly remind me they are there.

The original Dozier kydex for this knife has a very nice rounded end and I found it comfortable to wear. I really just wanted this knife in leather, not that the Dozier sheath need to be replaced. I actually think Bob does an exceptional job with the kydex cross draw.

I sent the knife to Mike and ask him for a pouch. During the few days before he got to making the sheath I wore my Kestral Tools knife in a traditional vertical pointy-tip leather sheath on my left side. The belt loop is generous so I canted the knife into the raked horizontal and found it catching everything.

Mike then emailed me the day he was starting the sheath and ask for any last minute thoughts or changes. Round end was the suggestion and a mighty good addition to the sheath it was.

I had no idea how Mike would put a belt loop on this. I thought he might do some sort of canted loop that would then be sewn on making the knife sort of float out from the belt. This simple wide canted loop really works for my needs. The knife is close to the body and simply does not catch my vest or chairs.

I am glad Mike was consulting Ms Cleo on this belt loop as form really follows function on this for me.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:22 PM

Randy, Chuck -- my thanks to both of you -- as I told Randy earlier today, the best compliments are from the owner and from our fellow leather workers. Also thanks to Bob Dozier for making such a great knife to work with. Yeh, it was a challenge because their's not a lot of guard to grip, but it seems I'm inspired to my best work when I have a nice piece like that to work with. It was fun to work with Randy too, his inputs into the design really topped it off.
Honest Chuck , this was done and mailed and on Randy's hip before I saw your EDC the other day, so it must have been Miss Cleo The altitude is a definite possibility -- just under 9000' here in Woodland Park. Or maybe it's just that there are only so many ways that a human body will conform to a particular use, and the maker has to find the designs that work with the body. Form following function -- sure 'nuff !!
I think that thread is 70 lb pre-waxed nylon, not my favorite to work with, but it seems to wear better than some. This sheath will test the stitching close to the hip on the loop (unlike a drop loop) so I used some heavy stuff. Don't know if that logic passes the giggle test, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Mike

Old 01-03-2003, 03:33 PM
Master

Mike, you showed the wrong side

When I saw it I thought "nice sheath" now it's WOW lookit the back!

That cant is something I've gotta try

• Who's There?
  • Cowsgo
  • Cowsgo Who?
  • NO, Cows Go Moo!
Old 01-03-2003, 03:54 PM

Kinda like a Mini-Cooper, right Colin? Just a car til you open up the hood ! Thanks, and do give it a try. I used a cardboard cutout to get the angle and position the loop. Much better to make the mistakes on paper rather than leather.
Mike

Old 01-03-2003, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I thought he might do some sort of canted loop that would then be sewn on making the knife sort of float out from the belt.
That same concern is why on my EDC I have it so the sheath is over the sheath and under the loop. I got the idea from carrying an inside the waistband holster and also from an old Massad Ayoob article on carrying a pancake holster with the belt looped through that way. Sits snug up against the body with out any chance of float. Also doing it this way takes more of the strain off the the stitching, but it does take a bit of getting used to since the belt is pressing the bulk of the knife tight against your body. Mike's rig looks plenty skookum enough though and the knife light enough that you shouldn't run into any problem. Not abetter mousetrap just a different one.

Quote:
it's just that there are only so many ways that a human body will conform to a particular use, and the maker has to find the designs that work with the body
This is what I was also trying to say, only you said it better. After 40+ years of doing sheaths I've found there really are only a finite number of solutions. We just happened upon the same one. Serendipity. That doesn't mean you can't put your own "stamp' on your work it just means that somebody else may have also come up with the same idea.

Just in case any body might get their knickers in a knot, I wasn't accusing Mike of "stealing" my design. I didn't design this pattern as such, just adapted the basic idea to my own style and methodology. The main reason that I find CKD so friendly is the friendly banter and constructive critiquing of other people's work, which is what this is all about. I invite anyone to critique or question my work at any time, as long as you are cordial about it anyway. Even us old dawgs can learn new tricks.
Finally if somebody does want to copy "my" patterns than I say go for it (heck I didn't invent any of them). For me imitation truly is the sincerest form of flattery. I honestly don't have an ego problem (just ask my wife!) and if by copying my work helps some one accomplish their goal than I figure good on them. Besides when I first started out many moons ago I often "copied" other peoples work in order to understand what they were doing and still get inpiration from seeing other folks stuff.

Mike - Just under 9000'- do you keep an oxygen tank handy?

Colin try it you'll like it.

Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Last edited by Chuck Burrows; 01-03-2003 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:29 PM

Chuck -- don't need an oxy tank after living up here for almost 10 years, but I do I get a rush out of all the extra O-2 I get when I play golf down in the lowlands, like Pagosa Springs
And if I never copied an idea or a style from anyone, I'd be playin' jacks instead of making sheaths. Certainly no offense taken here -- Anyone who follows the Forums will know that Chuck is the guy who kicked my butt into getting some basic tools to make my work better. I'm just grateful to have the chance to be able to see the great work that's being done these days, and to put in my 2 Green Stamps worth. Wait'll you all see the Mexican Loop that leatherman is making for me -- I'll bet noone sez he copied from Pancho Villa (heheheh). And I'll probably be doing a neck pouch similar to the one Dave Cole posted here -- after all it's his beautiful little friction folder I'll be carrying in it (how'd you do that whipping again Dave?)
Mike

Old 01-03-2003, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

And I'm just glad you took my suggestions kindly. Your work is just getting better and better. Tandy has some books on doing edge lacing and I might have some instructions that I could post as well.
Word of advice: use only kangaroo lace. The quality of calf lace has gone way down hill. The last time I did any lacing I was constantly splicing breaks and Dave said the same thing.

Hmmm. Leatherman is making a Mex-loop for you? The world really does go around and around - I posted some pics of a Mex loop on knifeforums a while back (I'll ad it here ASAP - I'm writing up a tutorial on how to construct one and it's taking longer than I figured) and he made mention of how he wanted to make some and I offered some advice, and gave him a call and now...Since Leatherman is a fine craftsman, I'm real anxious to see what he did.

See for me folks it's spreading knowledge that is such a wonderful thing (maybe not as much fun as spreading pollen, but...:evil )

Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 01-03-2003, 07:30 PM

Ahaaa -- "Wild Rose", spreading pollen -- I wondered about the source of your handle !
I have an advance pic of the Mexican Loop, but I'll defer to Dwayne -- I've seen them done before, including yours Chuck. This one has "Leatherman" written all over it.
Mike

Old 01-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Actually my handle comes from my business name which comes from the fact that my wife is me own "Wylde Irishe Rose".

Will you be psoting your "Leatherman" mex loop over here? (BTW what font is "Leatherman" written in? sorry couldn't help myself!)

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 01-03-2003, 08:30 PM

You too !! I've been married to my first Irish wife for, uuuuh, a long time. And being a certified Master Gardener, she luuuuuvs her roses. I oughta know, I get to dig all the holes and do all the soil ammendments (all you non Rocky Mountain types may not understand, but to grow anything up here besides pine trees and aspen requires adding tons of other stuff to the soil)
I'd rather Dwayne post the pic of his creation, if only because he can better answer any questions about the construction. Not to mention he has a better camera.
I'm not sure, but Leatherman's signature font for this sheath looks like Bragadoccio
Mike

Tags
blade, knife