MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:47 AM
Enthusiast

leather over wood, any tips?

I am doing a refurb for an old saber, and need some tips for the sheath covering.

The original sheath was wood and covered in thin leather, stiched up the back side but left flat... The seem on the leather looked like it was cut with a scalloped shear or something of that sort and the stitch was run straight up the interlocking scallop...

I dont need to reproduce it exactly but just need a way to do the leather over wood...

Any ideas? I have a whole side of vegitable tanned but don't want to skive it down thin enough to contour, so any ideas on what type of leather????

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alan Folts

alanfolts@hotmail.com
Old 09-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Steel Addict

Hey buddy! How you doing?

I have some really thin leather if you need some. Only one problem, It's purple, no, don't ask me how I got it.
As for making the pattern, cover the whole thing in masking tape and cut a seam with a razor. And you have a pattern. Add a little to it for the shrinkage around the curve and you got it. Just glue and sew. I got this idea from watching a guy making custom moccusin at pennsic. (what a place)
Hope this helps.
Raymond Johnson a.k.a. Raymond of Starhaven drinker of gargoyle spew
(Asguardian party! Not as good as the first Ladies night out party, but still fun)

Any plans to go to Gulf Wars in March?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Enthusiast

Hey Ray! good tips!

I think I will pass on the purple leather... Just not gonna fit the whole scheme of the peice.

As far as gulf wars, I havent been to an SCA event or even a fighter practice except when I returned to FL a few times... I still have the garb, but doubt I would fit into it like I used to.

Don't be a stranger!!! I will be coming back to visit in November so maybe we can do lunch or somethin???

Thanks agains for the tips, I will definitely use that masking tape one.

Alan
Old 09-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Steel Addict

If there is a Tandy Leather store near you, they usually have a table or two of thin leather and hides of all types.