MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:23 PM
Guru

pictures

hey guys i actually got my hands on the camera today!!! took a few pics was in a rush and tired now but here are a couple ill get more up tomorow
these 2 were quick ones done trying to perfect the HT the sharpening job is real sloppy i know

Playing with handle material...

this one i might have posted in a old thread not sure did this one a while ago but still one of my favorites

this one i have to admit the "profiled design" isnt mine i saw a pic or a template somwhere with this shape (well close to this shape) but i wanted it so made one for myself (i like tantos)

this one was inspired by 3 different pics i came across kinda blended them togather. testing this one similar (but not exact) are on the way probilly first ones i will try to sell

this one was a mothers day present she wanted a small polished knife...thats what she got

ok enough for tonight i got a few more tomorow ill see wich ones are photo worthy and get some more pics up .........let me know what ya think
Old 06-24-2016, 09:12 PM
Hall of Famer

An interesting selection of knives. I find the dagger kind of intriguing. The sharp finger style knife is nice too.

Doug

Old 06-25-2016, 06:25 AM
Skilled

Well since you asked...
Keep in mind I'm new at this so what I know about it all is squat. What follows is my opinion only.
Top two knives, the red, white, and blue knife looks very functional and utilitarian. Similar looking to a Swedish style knife, are they called "puukos"? Blade geometry makes sense to me. But that red, white, and blue handle is seriously ugly.

The second picture, the knife with the camo-looking handle (micarta?) I'm just no fan of tanto blades. Like those blades that are half straight edge and half serrated, I just don't understand function, and that's where I am with tantos. I know they're on some "tactical" knives but that's yet another term that is pretty broad and not well defined. If tanto blades do serve a purpose then I guess it comes down to esthetics to me. I simply don't like their looks, but I know you DO like tanto style blades so that's the important thing. Does look like you did a good job putting a nice polished finish on.

The dagger. Again no fan. They serve one useful purpose, with the possible exception of opening letters! I'm a practical person and have no need for a dagger, or a 14" bowie for that matter and thus, styles like that don't appeal. But again, that's just me so it really means nothing. Having said that, both those styles offer a great opportunity for knife makers to really get creative and show off their skill. I think you've done an excellent job of that. I'm very impressed with the blade grinding and the fitting of the bolster and pommel. Very artistic and well done. I doubt I could make that knife.

The big fighter with camo handle. Looks like what it is, or a big ole camp knife. Overall I like the profile or geometry. I really like the shape and angle of the handle, it looks very ergonomic and functional. The handle and blade just "flow" together.

The green handle knife. Now you're talking my language. Very functional looking, well balanced as far as handle-blade length. Very outdoorsy, looks like a great game skinner. The handle angle is appealing to me and used as a skinner, that handle angle would position the curve of the blade at the place it needs to be. This looks like a well thought out knife. One negative to me is that little "hump" on the spine. I don't know its purpose or what function it would serve... possibly a thumb grip? It's distracting to me and takes away from the overall pleasing lines of the knife. But if its purpose is for the thumb then I understand your putting it there.

The last knife looks to be a useful knife. I could use that myself rather extensively as a kitchen knife. But again there's that tanto blade. IIRC you made this just for display so I suppose anything goes. Overall it looks like the finish turned out pretty good.

So there's my $1.98 cents worth. You'll notice my focus is mostly on esthetics. Being a jeweler/craftsman most of my life, I'm a visual person and small details make or break with me. I either like something or not, usually based on first visual impression...and a lot of that is my own tastes. So i can truly appreciate craftsmanship, even if I'm not particularly fond of style. That is, if i can get past first impressions long enough to focus on the craftsmanship! My "philosophy" surrounding knives is beauty and functionality. Anything that goes much beyond that I have little interest in. However, some prefer to make literal works of art, taking craftsmanship to a whole new level, with functionally not even entering the picture. That's okay too, just not for me and not my purpose in knifemaking.

You'll notice I offer virtually no useful critique as I really don't feel qualified to do so. If I were going to offer anything, I would say work on your finish. Do a lot more hand sanding and get everything nice, even and consistent. I'm looking specifically at the first photo.

Anyway, like I said, just my opinions. Everyone has different tastes. It looks like you've come a long way since the start of that neverending thread.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 06-25-2016, 09:00 AM
Guru

thanks guys...wnc goater thanks for the comments i appreciate it as far as the dagger and the tanto's yes it mostly looks i just like the way they look...that dagger will never be carried or used to cut anything serious ......the green and black handle tanto as i said i seen a pic and wanted one for myself i did however thin the handle down it didnt feel right too heavy when i started. since you seem to be someone that would perfer function over looks (i think both have there place) i am happy you like the one with the green handle i chose that one for testing and now am on my way making similar ones for sale for just that reason. and yes the little spike on top is for your thmb i am on my way out the door ill try to put a few more pics up later i got a couple more recent ones but i couldnt figure out where i put them last night

Tags
blade, bowie, camo, camp knife, dagger, design, edge, for sale, grinding, handle, handle material, interesting, knife, knifemaking, knives, made, material, sharp, sharpening, small, tactical, tanto, template