MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Skilled

Question New steel to me -

Gentlemen and scholars- I've got a fellow requesting a knife made from either AUS-8, H-1, VG-10 or 1095....... I don't know where he got all those ideas but he is a collector of sorts so here we go- said he preferred H-1.
I've never heard of H-1 I've hears some about VG-10 and Aus-8 and of course 1095. Alas I have not worked with any of the above. So I have a lot of questions-
The knives he wants are going to be 12" OAL hidden tang hunters. What can you tell me about these steels or comparisons of them for general hunting usage. I have worked with 0-1, 440C and ATS-34 but either he doesn't like these or thinks they are inferior.
Given each of the above workability, should I jump into trying one of them or convince him to go with what I know or send him elswhere?
He has a brother and friends that have my knives and apparantly likes my work- and I told him I was unfamiliar with those steels but would look into the possibility.

Thanks

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...24112090995576
Old 10-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Steel Addict

"H1" is a steel used by Spyderco. It is a precipitation hardening steel, rich in ad hype and dripping with sexy claims of super superiority.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Steel Addict

He sounds like a wannabe steel snob to me, but his particular tastes are rather baffling, since H1 is known for corrosion resistance and little else, and AUS-8 is popular with....well, no one. You probably won't be able to get H1, AUS-8 or VG-10 since they are not generally available from knife steel suppliers. 1095, being a very shallow hardening steel, would be difficult to use without some trial and error first.

You can tell him that if he truly wants a high performance knife, he'll request a steel you have experience with, since heat treatment is more important than steel choice. Or you can send him elsewhere, as you said.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Guru

I don't have a ton of experience taking orders, but I have a little. I also know many knifemakers who do or have taken orders. It is my opinion that this could end up being a customer who wants far too much control and input and makes the process very unsatisfying for you. I would tell him what steels I was willing to use and make it clear where I stood on input/direction on the order after placed. It might cost you an order, but either way it will save you heartache.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 10-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Skilled

Thank you Gentlemen! All sage advice which I will take fully to heart!

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...24112090995576

Tags
fixed blade, knife, knives