MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-13-2005, 05:40 AM
Master

Exclamation ALWAYS wear eye protection while grinding!!

hey,
I made the stupid mistake of not wearing my glasses while grinding yesterday,
I had a rough night with the feeling of something in my eye. Went to see an eye doctor today, he removed a piece of metal from my eye-it had been there long enough to rust- so he had to remove the rust from the surface of my eye-with a small dremel like tool and an incredibly tiny drill bit!! thankfuly he numbed my eye first So unless you want someone drilling in you eye-ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTORS!

that is by far the weirdest expirience I have ever had.....

It made me want to remind everyone to be safe.

Gary
-- Ice Tigre
Have Laptop, Will Travel.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to DanCrabtree
My great great grandfather was a blacksmith (no im not joking he seriously was and thats where I got my anvil). He was just a farm blacksmith, but one day his son decided to go into the shop and be like dad and hammer on some hot metal. Well he did and it didnt take too long for a peice of hot scale to fly up and hit him right in the eye, blinded him and he could never use that eye again. Back in this time saftey glasses wernt as avalible as tehy re now we have them avalible so please use them.

Edit: The anvil in my avatar is the anvil but the picture doesnt do it justice, it is much bigger looking in RL its a 120 lbs peter wright

Knives can only be as sharp as their maker, So keep on hammering.

"All men die, Not all men really live." William Walace
Old 01-13-2005, 02:29 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Been there, done that 4 times, got the t-shirts! And the weird thing is, all 4 times, I WAS wearing my glasses! Not a pleasant thing, having to get it taken out. Did that twice. The other two times, it came out on its own.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 01-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Living Legend

I used to work in a neon sign and art business where scribing and snapping glass were done all day, i learned that most of the time when something gets in your eye it comes from your eyebrows or hair , i have learned to always brush out my eyebrows and hair and wash my face after working with glass or metals.

Old 01-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Guru

I am glad your ok.I have had eye work done about 10 times over the last thirty years as my trade is a weldor/fabricator/ machinery mechanic.All but one time was while wearing glasses and once was wearing a welding helmet( the piece bounced in from behind and burned into the eye). Protect yourself but be assured that you stay around metal long enough it will fight back.Also buy an eye magnet, you can get them from some industrial first aid companies.I got mine from Zee medical.It has saved probably another twenty times of going to the eye doctor.Take care.Dave
Old 01-21-2005, 09:39 AM
Master

Smile

Hey guys,

been offline since that happened, my eyes were realy sensitive to light,even after the discomfort from the rust removal went away. my next 3 knife projects are now scraped--- the doctor visit cost me $289.00-- I haven't any insurance.

so........., what is an eye magnet?-- I can't aford these doctor visits. Not that this will happen again.

Gary
Old 01-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Skilled

DON'T forget the resp. protection ~ it won't be as noticable as the eye, but it will cripple your lungs just as sure as I'm sitting here.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:45 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to JeridJohnson
I got hit in the corner of the eye by a hot piece of scale once.. Luckily it just burned the skin at the edge of the eye.. It was a very quick reminder that I had forgot to put on my glasses..

Just tonight I was forging and hit a red hot blade with the hammer and it flung out of the tongs and flew up and smacked me in the cheek.. got a nice burn.. Believe me... i was glad I was wearing the glasses.. if that thing had hit my eye it could have been bad news..

Be safe..

Old 01-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Guru

Gary, an eye magnet is a small tool double ended with a smooth rounded magnet on one end and a loop of monofilament on the other.One side will get the ferrrous metal and the other is for everything else.Very cheap as I think I only paid about $30 for it.It has paid for itself many times over.Dave

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife