MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 09-28-2003, 12:23 PM
Skilled

Liner lock break in procedure ?

Hi, I'm new to knifemaking and have introduced myself in the newbie arena. I have made four knives, all liner locks and would like to someday try to sell my knives.

I have a question about liner lock break in period. Here is my procedure : (assuming the knife was built correctly) Assemble the finished Knife, tighten the pivot screws fully, back off slightly, fully tighten frame and bolster screws, tighten scale screws, using no loc tite. I then work the knife opening and closing until the ti lock face to blade tang locks and unlocks smoothly and the blade travels smooth and true.

I then disassemble, clean up, reassemble using loc tite and I leave the pivot compression a little tight, it opens easily with the thumber but will not easily snap open (used only as an example of the amount of compression). Is this procedure correct? Do most custom makers go through a break in period before they sell their knives? Thanks, Dave
Old 09-28-2003, 12:31 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I don't know that I think of it as a break in period. It's more like the process that I do to get the knife adjusted properly. Yes, I think everybody would have to do something like that.....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-28-2003, 10:01 PM
Skilled

That sounds good to me. The only thing I do differently is to very lightly hand polish the contact edges on the liner spring and blade lock cut to facilitate smooth operation.

Old 09-29-2003, 08:10 AM
Hall of Famer

Folks, break-in and adjusting isn't necessary if you build a linerlock "My Way". Read about it on my web site.

Using this method, every time the knife is assembled, everything fits back into exactly the same position. No adjustments of screws are necessary, and certainly no lock-tight is necessary. All screws are always tight, and the blade has proper clearance for the pivot to act smoothly.

When assembling the knife, all you need to do is to put all the parts in place, tighten all the screws, and the knife is ready to go. Every time, no fiddling around with it later.

Anyone who can build a folding knife can use this method.

Best wishes.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:22 PM
Skilled

Thank you Ray

Kelly, I was hoping to get tips on final touch up. I appreciate this one and will try it. Thank you

Don, NICE PLUG! I'm sold, m/o will be sent in the morning
Old 10-03-2003, 08:50 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
[i]
Don, NICE PLUG! I'm sold, m/o will be sent in the morning [/B]
Good, you won't be sorry. When you get the book, follow the instructions to the letter in order, without deviations.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:09 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Robinson
When you get the book, follow the instructions to the letter in order, without deviations.
Yeah. 'Cause if you don't, Don will browbeat you in private email then send you a copy of his new book just to totally confuse you.

(Don, you know I'm kidding, right? )

For the record, I'm convinced Don's method works. It's just that those of us who have built a few locking liners have to unlearn a few things to make it work properly.

-Frank J Warner

Old 10-10-2003, 04:07 PM
Steel Addict

Don, the way you describe building your folders is exactly the way my friend Peter Herbst taught me to build folding knives held together with screws, such as linerlocks. Peter said build in precision from the very first step.

I dont like those "tighten it down until it binds, then back off a bit" folders. Instead I make the pivot, washers, bushing and blade to precise tolerances, screw it together firmly and that's that. The key however is also flatness. Since I bought an old but good surface grinder with mag chuck, my life has taken a turn for the better.

BTW, Peter Herbst is a Master machine mechanic with several decades in the industry. Sounds like you know your way around a machine shop too! Hat's off to precision work!!! :-)

Tags
blade, folding knife, knife, knives