MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 05-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Steel Addict

Randall Roots..

Recently I took the big plunge into knife making using high grade hand forged blades from famous Nordic smiths. I was "forced" into this obsession after a blade purveyor friend sent me a free scandinavian blank stating "yur ready to join the club". Since I had NO knife making tools whatsoever, I whittled a handle for the blade, attached it, and used expoxy twine for the bolster. Rude and crude .. yes, but effective, and I use the knife in the kitchen everyday. ( I'm slave driven by the wife).

That first knife triggered in me a deep secret obsession with the idea of making knives, that I have had my whole life. After weeks of research on the subject of scandi blades, I recognized the scandinavian relation to RANDALL knives, in design, steel, and performance. Further research took me to viking eras where I was surprised at the metallurgical and artistic proficiency of the vikings. Rope file-work, damascus blades, fine engravings, and incredible knot work designs, adorned weapons, jewelry, boats and artwork. My wife being Estionian/Dutch IS definitely viking heritage, so a viking I became...

I researched famous makers in Scandinavia, and bought blanks from Jukka Hankala and Aage Fredrickson. Both hand forge their blades, use very good steel, and are both considered as makers, to be among the the best in Scandinavia. There are other famous makers, who have also intrigued the US custom knife market who's knives are literally works of art. But my interests are with using knives...that are pretty..

Super silver tool steels, Damascus, crucible damascus, wootz, Mosaic damascus, and high rockwells of 59/61, some to 63 and above, are the norm in Scandi country. And I can tell you from experience, the high end scandi knives are sharp!. Very exciting stuff... Suffice to say, I got hooked. Besides, the blade design similarities with Randalls were obvious. I chose these makers blades as their grinds are high, with Agge's blades being flat ground convex shaped, and very very accurate to viking design. I'm still waiting on the delivery of three of Aage Fredickson's blades. Meanwhile I bought four of Hankala's blades, and just finished one his rough forged marked hunter that is rare and hard to get.

I wanted to experience vikings methods with materials that were available or probably available to them. This thought led me to fabricate the fittings from old recycled circa 1800's wrought iron, and fossil Walrus tusk for the handle. It also challenged me to make the knife with hand tools only, no power tools!. It was hard work. 4-5 days to shape the fossil tusk by filing, same amount of time to re-forge, cut, shape, mill the iron by hand, and days on end to test, troubleshoot, file, grind, and finish. I thought of it as my crash course in knifemaking, (and work-out..) and best of all, I did not cut myself this time! I learned a lot from making this knife..

Using a Scandi blade that is 4.4" and wide is considered a "Moose hunter" to the Nordics, so I knew that Mr. Moosehead would approve...or give me his permission to build a Moose hunter! The choice of ivory was mainly influenced by my recollection of Mr. Seuss's love of the material, so I went with fossil Walrus, vikings being the Nordic sailors that they were. I believe Seuss will approve.

So here goes a brief description of my work/method and materials, and then pics. Hope you enjoy them.

Walrus Viking: Fossil Walrus Handle, 3 piece antique wrought iron guard and buttcap, hand milled wrought iron spacers, antique ball type hinge pin file-worked to floral shape with 20K gold nugget, fileworked guard, spacers, ivory spacers, and blade spine . Blade re-bench stone ground , hand rubbed to 600 grit, wedge hidden tang with stainless internal handle to guard guide pins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tuhkuri 1_Page_04.jpg (40.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Tuhkuri 1_Page_05.jpg (43.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Tuhkuri 1_Page_08.jpg (34.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Tuhkuri 1_Page_12.jpg (48.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Tuhkuri 1_Page_17.jpg (57.5 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by thewap; 05-17-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Steel Addict

Talking New Knife

Wap,

Wow! I am really impressed. A very Great looking knife! Thank you for sharing it with all of us!

Kent B. Warnberg

RKS #109
Old 05-17-2007, 11:18 PM
Skilled

Marc, you are my hero! Absolutely beautiful knife and love that ivory !!! Great balance in the features and very, very nice file work!

I've only made one knife. A single blade folder with blade made from a Ford tractor seat spring I found. All work done by hand (file, hacksaw and patience). Re-heat treated myself too. I only tell you this because I know what patience it took for you to make this work of art. My knife looks like crap compared to yours but the feeling of "look what I did with my very own hands" must be similar to your feelings. I am truly inspired now for sure. I have a large chunk of Mammoth ivory which has been sitting by my computer for years waiting for me to do something even if it is wrong.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful knife and I hope too for lighting a spark under my butt as well. I am very, very excited for you! Any Viking would be proud to wear that jewel!

An awed seussbrother
Old 05-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Steel Addict

Talking

Wap,

I forgot to ask.. Now that your getting this knife-making down..is it time to start on a watch???

Kent
Old 05-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Skilled

Marc,
....I have missed seeing your posts on the RMK forums. I see that you have been using your "free" time wisely. That knife is superb.
Jeff
Old 05-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Steel Addict

Seuss, I'm blushing.. I got to give you credit for shaping that folder blade by hand, and making a folder as a first knife!! now thats gutsy.:f It would be great to see you make a knife from the Mammoth ivory.. , I am officially challenging you to get to it!

Using high end material really pushed me to be patient (don't want to ruin $300+ tusk) so every section of the knife ie: handle, ferrule, butt cap, skull crusher, blade, file-work etc.. became a seperate production of it's own. It was an interesting realization to me as I progressed. If time is a luxury, it helps. It took me over four to five weeks to finish that knife!. I kept imagining I was in school, researched, tested, and walked away when clueless or frustrated.Hope this helps your next knife Seuss!

Kent, how about a walrus wrist sundial?

Jeff, thanks!. Good to see you again!

Last edited by thewap; 05-18-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:27 AM

Wapper,

I am really impressed. What a feeling of accomplishment that must be! 70 years from now some rich guy will be hosting a "Wap" forum sporting a photo of "Wap's first knife" Keep on it Dude.

Best,

Ron
Old 05-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Steel Addict

Bo Blade! Ron, that would make tooootal sense to me! because at the pace that I'm going, I may be lucky to make a name for myself at the age of 98. Give it another quarter century, then they WILL be talking about my knife!

Last edited by thewap; 05-18-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Skilled

Thanks Marc! Do you have others on the drawing board or in process now or are you resting up for the next assault? I reckon when you create such a knife, that you make it in your mind a thousand times during the process. You are very wise to know when to walk away from it and re-focus or research. The finished product certainly shows the care and planning. I used to pick up an "Art" knife at shows on occasion just to admire what had gone into it's design and construction. More often than not, I was left scratching my head in amazement. It is unbelievable and not really fair that the tiniest misstroke of a file can forever alter a great file work job. You the man! Keep up the great work! The finish on your knife is perfectamundo!

seuss
Old 05-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks Seuss, While giving my mooscles a rest, I'm studying different solid sheath techniques and designs ie: wooden, steel, ivory etc. for that knife. I'm also studying designs for my next knife, and trying to come to a decision on materials combi, handle shape, and build techniques. As far as the "slip of the file" and bloopers, I've learned the importance to give some room in the materials when assembling. The knife can never be really ruined thru mistakes, it just gets progressively smaller and smaller! (which makes me wonder if some bird and trout knives actually started out as a bowies..)

Anyway waiting on more tools, materials and blades. When it all comes in, the fun part is visually combining the materials to come to a design..

Marc

Tags
blade, fixed blade, knife, knife making, knives