MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:55 PM
Steel Addict

3 inch or less Bali?

Is there such a thing as a ready made 3" or less bali? I saw an earlier post that suggested the morpho might make it under, but that's apparently not true...

Dave
Old 03-20-2007, 12:17 AM
Skilled

Hey Dave.. ...Hiya....

I have to assume you are asking for legal reasons.., and yeah it's true the "Morpho" probably wouldn't weigh in at under 3" if someone wants to pop you for a weapons violation in jurisdictions that are not Bali-Friendly.

The actual cutting edge of the piece is roughly 2.87.., but if measured across the tang/ricasso area to the top of the handles it's closer to 3.25 (which is how it's done in Bali-Hating jurisdictions).

As far as "Ready Made"..., I may be understanding you incorrectly, but to [ME].., that means "Production Knife".., and I don't know of any commonly produced Balisong that's manufactured that's under the 3" standard.

You can certainly have one made.., but of course a custom knife is going to run you probably triple what a machine ground high quality piece would cost.

Why?? ~~> It's really not any easier for the maker to produce a little one as a standard size model.., so you are paying for the "set-up" and labor.., more so than the materials....(i.e., Time + Plus materials + Profit Margin).

The good news.., is there are a few guys out there that will take an order for such a knife, but the cost could be prohibitive depending on what you want to spend.

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"
Old 03-20-2007, 12:56 AM
Steel Addict

Yes, I'm looking for a production knife. Guess I'll have to take the risk with the blade length...

Thanks for the quick response!

Dave
Old 03-20-2007, 01:09 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W.
Thanks for the quick response!
Hey no problem!

I actually have a wallet I carry the "Morpho" in daily (because I can clip it in).., and I really don't think any reasonable LEO is going to see the knife as a "Bad Guy" deal (and I live in So California) ~~> where some pencils are illegal...

Really a terrific little knife.., and the D2 bladesteel is definitely a plus for daily cutting chores. They did a really nice heat treat on those blades, so I think you're OK with that decision Dave.

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, knife