MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 07-19-2003, 11:55 AM
Misternatural?

The symbolism of knives and swords

I have often heard it said that knives and swords are powerful "symbols".

If swords and knives are such powerful symbols, lets' try and understand that.

What do swords and knives say as symbols? What do these symbols mean? How can we learn to "read" these symbols? Why are these symbols so important? What do these symbols accomplish?

Why do we need symbolism in the first place?
Old 07-19-2003, 12:34 PM

Symbolism, well for one thing swords have for a long time been a symbol of status, what with iron being a very valuable commodity for a very long time, a sword was an expensive piece of weaponry. owning one was a mark of wealth and power.

its also the symbol for the somewhat mytic figure of the samura?, tales of sword slicing the barel of a rifle and such have impressed our imagination.

the modern sword, still a class distinctive object ( if i'm not mistaken it is still part of the dress uniform for many military organization ), is now a reference to an imprint the sword made on the collective memory of the planet. it is a sort of link to our past. it is the culmination of the edged weapon of war, it represent a more noble facet of war than the axe and the spear wich came before it.

all in all when i hold a sword in my hands, i get it, i understand the magnetism it has, the life it has. i dont know exactly what it's saying, but i can feel it screaming it in my blood.

just my grain of salt.

mike

Old 07-19-2003, 12:35 PM

as for why we need symbolism, i dont know.

do we realy need it

mike

Old 07-19-2003, 03:07 PM
Guru

"The sword was closely associated with much of what was most significant in a man's life - family ties, loyalty to his lord, the duties of a king, the excitement of battle, the attainment of manhood, and the last funeral rites."

- Hilda Ellis Davidson, The Sword in Anglo-Saxon England

I think some of that still applies today.

Roger

Old 07-19-2003, 03:13 PM

god! i wish i could say things well

he did better than my long winded post with two lines

oh well

mike

Old 07-20-2003, 01:38 AM
Enthusiast

Genetic Memory

hi!

I think that, like a fire, fire are the element who are in our genetic memory, because that, are associate, to heat, eat, and etc.

but, knifes, blades are the first object intrinsic in our minds, associate to defence, way to obtain food, and others. important to say, a factor, the object received when the human bein grow to your adult concience .

fabio@codignoli.com

http://www.codignoli.com
Fabricando fit faber, Faber quisque fortunae sibi, Faber compedes, quas fecit ipse, gestet
Old 07-20-2003, 07:53 AM

Hi Fabio, Welcome to the forum. It's good to have you join us. You have a very interesting website--I wish I could read Portugese. Hope you will visit us often.

Old 07-20-2003, 08:12 AM

Quote:
do we realy need it
I think the answer is without a doubt, yes. Since the dawn of man, cultures and individuals have always had and used symbols to define themselves, and their inherent and collective traits and values. Now why that is, we may need an anthropologist, or a psychologist or perhaps a mythologist to explain. But the fact is, we as a race, obviously need them at some level, because we as humans, always have used and still use symbols to define ourselves.

My question would be, what symbols are we using to define our culture today with which future generations will also define us? Golden arches? Past cultures built pyramids to honor the Sun and their deities. We are no different, except for our symbolism. We build edifices to honor greed and mediocrity--WalMart, for example, need I say more? If life goes on another thousand years, won't the archaeologists have a field day digging up thousands upon thousands of stores full of junk made in China and having "Mart" in their name?

Where symbols of past cultures may have been regal animals, or elegant and powerful weapons (swords) captured in stone and steel, ours, I'm afraid, will be the dollar sign (our culture's deity in this epoch) $$$$$ and captured in plastic.

Last edited by Dana Acker; 07-20-2003 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:24 AM

I think it's time we paint our faces blue and attack the north of England. How's that for symbolism?

No offense, Roger, I was speaking metaphorically.

Last edited by Dana Acker; 07-24-2003 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:25 PM
Enthusiast

Dana: Only for remark;
Not for only faces in blue but, like arborigenes in australia, or brazindians, all the tribes has rituals as a expression form, of war povocation; power into the clan; etc etc .

returnin at the theme: blades belongs only a been who has consience in the society that he lives.

PS: ( thank's Dana for your words)

fabio@codignoli.com

http://www.codignoli.com
Fabricando fit faber, Faber quisque fortunae sibi, Faber compedes, quas fecit ipse, gestet
Old 08-20-2003, 04:27 PM
Guru

The Need for Symbolism

Regarding the need for symbols in modern human life (strike "modern" if you wish), it is my understanding that symbolism is shorthand for meaning. Human language cannot convey a feeling, a cause, an emotion, nearly as well as a symbol can. Take the golden arches for instance. You see them, you think of the Big Mac, the taste, the greasy fries, the supersize drink. My short summary alone took 10 words and doesn't begin to capture the essence of the experience. In antiquity, symbols were used as just that: shorthand expression. Just as I believe art is a form of communication that transcends the written or spoken word, I feel that symbolism is another way of capturing complex ideas and meanings in a quickly, and to some extent, universally understood way.

Call that my 3 cents worth.

Hammer on!
Old 08-21-2003, 09:50 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

In a neighborhood where men throw rocks at each other, a man with a fine sword has to say very little to get his way. A rock may leave a bruise, but a sword leaves a nasty wound if not death.
This sword becomes a symbol of power.
In a neighborhood where men carry swords, a man with a gun has to say very little to get his way. A gun can do it without getting close.
The gun bacomes a symbol of power.
Now we live in a neighborhood where everyone has guns, and the guys with the bombs are trying to move in.

With the rocks, swords, and guns, there was a sense of honor and reason to win.
With these bomb guys, there is NO winner.
Good bye neighborhood and all that was in it.

For me personally, my symbol of power is stamped into my knives,(three crosses), not the knives themselves.
Those crosses give me more courage than any weapon in my hand.(my choice-not trying to convert anyone here,OK?)

I find it funny that a new weapon will cause one of two reactions.
If the weapon is on your side, it produces hope and courage.
If the weapon belongs to your opponent, it produces fear and dispare. Just depends on which side you are on.

As my Marine buddy says,"Force IS the ultimate reality".
Old 08-21-2003, 10:19 AM
Skilled

Victorian cemetary symbolism, sword = military life

Old 08-21-2003, 10:21 AM
Skilled

A sword, hilt raised, as symbol of the Cross.

Old 08-21-2003, 10:24 AM
Skilled

The Symbolism of the Sword

Tags
blade, knife, knives