MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-25-2001, 11:20 AM
KnivNiklas

Crack in Stabilized wood

Hi guys!

Today when I was grinding my latest creation I found two cracks in the stabilized wood. They appear to be running along the grains. Is there anyway to fix this? I?ve been thinking of some kind of thin-glue.

I also wonder if you would accept this in a piece of wood for which you paid $15.

Best regards /Niklas
Old 05-25-2001, 12:27 PM
Don Cowles

I think the superglue idea is a good one. Whenever you are dealing with natural materials (even stabilized ones), there is a good chance that cracks and fissures may show up. If they were not obvious on the block you bought when you began handle construction, I'd just work with it.

One thing you can do to minimize the likelihood of cracking is to treat it like ivory: don't get it too hot, and overbore the pin holes a few thousandths to provide a little room for expansion and contraction.
Old 05-25-2001, 01:17 PM
Raymond Richard

Niklas, the superglue is the best but I've found out that if you us the superglue and buff it with a buffer the superglue disappears. I've had good luck working it down with finer grits until your satisfied and going with a good paste wax and buffing by hand. Ray
Old 05-25-2001, 11:55 PM
KnivNiklas

Hi Don and Raymond!

Thank you very much for the quick response :cool: . I will get hold of some superglue as fast as I can. There will be no problem with the buffing since I dont own a machine-buffer, yet...

/Niklas
Old 05-26-2001, 12:32 AM
MIKE KOLLER

WELCOME NIKLAS

Old 05-28-2001, 02:56 AM
KnivNiklas

Thank you Mike

I?ve been reading in the forum for a couple of months now. It is a great source for inspiration.

And the feeling when a knifemaker like Don Cowles answer a question that I asked is just great!

You can expect to hear more from me...

BTW instead of useing superglue I thinned out some two-component glue(?) with acetone. Thats the same mix I use for cordwraps. It worked out just fine, I havent done the buffing yet but it looks good

/Niklas