MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:26 PM
Steel Addict

First Complete Knife and Sheath

Hello Everyone,

Here is my first completed knife and sheath. I believe that a knife is not a useful tool without a sheath. I have made a substantial effort to learn from all of you, new makers and professionals, and to apply what I have learned to the best of my ability. In the end I am content with my effort but I have much room for improvement. Please give me some feedback and recommendations for improvement.

Thank you

Brett

PS. I chose a poor color for the sheath highlights and I am considering restaining the knife handle to match better....lesson #1 learned.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 AM
Skilled

Really like the split toe design on the sheath

Old 01-03-2013, 06:27 AM

Looks pretty nice from here. I wouldn't restain handle. Just chalk it up for part of the learning curve and use it as a good excuse to make another knife with a handle of rosewood and another sheath with lighter staining to match the first knife........and if you don't get that quite right....you're on the road to #3 and #4 and..........
Welcome to the addiction.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Steel Addict

Thank you for the comments. I also like the split toe design Trav, it's a combination of shape and the visual effect of the stitch. I need to come up with a better method at the drill press and better lighting as I struggled getting the holes punched well. I might try sinew instead of waxed nylon too.

Crex, that is a darn good idea. I like the shape and size of this knife so another will be in order. I'll be getting on a second sheath soon. In the end I enjoyed the leatherwork as much as making the blade.

A question to you both: Should I be using a better quality leather? Does it tool and work better/easier?

I have used belly leather for this sheath and found it a bit frustrating. The flesh side pulls apart easily after glueing. I have a feeling that to get a good result, I have to use good materials.

Thanks again

Brett
Old 01-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Master

looks good Bowman

Rob in Kelowna
Old 01-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Skilled

Bowman, I'm with Paul on this one. I use W&C skirting 7-8 oz , and it made all the difference. In addition, I started upgrading my stamps, and the combo of good leather and good tools is helping me get better results. They are pricey, but worth it.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Skilled

Bowman, I'm amazed that you got a sheath looking that good with belly leather. Belly leather will cause you more frustration and waisted time than anything I can think of in the long run. It is particularly bad about stretching when stamped and with that style sheath will yield two different size sides. By all means, get your self some leather other than belly leather.

Good Luck

Paul

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net
Old 01-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Skilled

Thumbs up

Awesome knife and sheath Bowman!
Did you end up getting a WorkSharp for the secondary bevel?
Great work!!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
Awesome knife and sheath Bowman!
Did you end up getting a WorkSharp for the secondary bevel?
Great work!!
Thanks Rockhound. No I didn't get one. I put that bevel on by hand using sandcloth and a combination stone. It was a lesson in frustration so I'm thinking Worksharp on the next blade.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Steel Addict

To Everyone

Thank you for all the positive comments and advice.

Paul,

It means a tremendous amount to hear positive feedback from a person so skilled and talented as yourself. I am so impressed with your sheath making videos and I have learned so much. Thank you.

As for the belly leather, it did exactly what you described. I had a tough time figuring out whether it was my inexperience or the leather or both. I did not care for how it tooled or fit up in comparison to many sheaths I have studied. Looking at the premium shoulders at Tandy there was no comparison. I only bought the belly leather as it was cheap to get started so that I could give sheath making a try. Realizing how much I enjoyed making this sheath, I will get a better quality leather and leave the belly for practicing carving.

Trav,

Thank you also for your input and for posting much of your works. I have spent a fair amount of time admiring your sheaths. Can you tell me what tools you have upgraded to? I currently have only Tandy stamps.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:22 AM
Skilled

Bowman, I started getting Jeremiah Watts of Ranch 2 Arena, Wayne Jueschke, you have to call 775 738 4885, and Barry King whom has a web site. Also get yourself a good maul. Again, i got mine from Barry King. Hope this helps. I want to add, ALL this is because Paul took his time to talk to me on the phone and in person. Wonderful man

Last edited by trav; 01-04-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:24 AM

Although I make my own mauls and stamps, Paul and Travis are spot on and gold for advice. For tooling/carving I prefer the medium firm to firm leather. Belly is ok for smaller pouch type sheaths but still presents stretch/distortion problems, not worth the aggravation and time in the long run. You'll learn and do much better "practicing" on good material.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
apply, awesome, blade, design, drill, handle, helping, holster, knife, knife handle, leather, leather die, leather tooling, made, make, making, material, materials, nylon, press, sheath, stitch, tanning, tools