MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2017, 04:53 PM

Grinder Questions from a Newb

So I'm starting on knife making and have worked with files and hacksaws for a bit, but now I'm ready to move on to the real equipment. Right now I'm interested in a 3 Speed KMG grinder. My questions are:

Will 1.5 HP suffice? I like the 110v plug which will not limit my ability to find a work space as opposed to the potential issues with a 220v (I am a renter in a large expensive city and ideal work space can be difficult to prioritize)

Are there any ventilation requirements to work with this grinder? My current work space is in my basement where my dog stays while I'm at work. Aside from the requirement to clean after every use will it be detrimental for my dog to spend time in the same space I grind?

Are there any comparable grinders to the KMG 3 Speed that may be a better value? Particularly grinders that are more or less ready to go out of the box. I'd like to be able to easily interchange a platen, 10" contact wheel and a 1" contact wheel.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Tags
bee, blade, blades, clean, dust, files, grinder, grinding, kmg, knife, knife making, knifemaking, made, make, making, material, metal, motor, notch, outdoor, pearl, sell, shop, steel, wood