MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast

All About Pivots?

Is there a good tutorial or post that explains all about the different types of pivots...barrels, bearings, bushings, etc.? I've searched but can't really find one. If not would someone be interested in writing one?
Old 09-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I don't know of any such tutorial. When I was first starting to make folders I got catalogs from all the knife supply houses and looked at the pictures of the folder kits and supplies, especially the pivots. That alone can answer most of the questions a beginner might have about pivots. Also, I took a few folders apart - another good way to see how things might be done. There are folder making videos that would show the method favored by that particular maker - a few videos and you would probably see most of the major ideas in pivots.

There is no one way to use any of those pivots, you just work out a method that you like. For instance, you can use a barrel pivot so that it can be tightened down from either side or you can choose mount it permanently on one end. I press step pivots into my bolsters for a permanent mount but some guys prefer to set the blind end into a socket and then pin it so it doesn't turn.

Bearings and bushings are more complicated but you don't have to use them. Do some simpler designs first and then add a bearing or bushing to your designs later. You'll have enough things to worry about with out that in the beginning.

Bottom line: look at the pivot and figure out how you would like to use it. Barrel pivots are the simplest and easiest and pretty obvious when you look at them...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-20-2013, 06:12 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishknifeworks View Post
Is there a good tutorial or post that explains all about the different types of pivots...barrels, bearings, bushings, etc.? I've searched but can't really find one. If not would someone be interested in writing one?
I can sympathize with your ignorance because I had/have the same question. I could not find any good info either.

I am making my first folder and I am going to use a brass pin. I am following a book.

It would certainly be great if there was some information out there that showed, in a parts breakdown format, the various ways to use the different pivot hardware. I will just have to tinker around as I go.

Tags
beginning, bolsters, brass, breakdown, choose, folder, hardware, kits, knife, knife supply, knives, make, making, mount, post, press, supplies, supply, tutorial