MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 05-26-2008, 07:34 AM

no budget setup?

We have had lots of discussions and tutorials (thanks Jim) on how to make the $50 setup for capturing knife pictures but I would be really curious to see or hear the recommendations for a knife setup if budget were not a concern. I am in no way implying that I am in that position but it would be interesting to see what portions of the setup would be attainable.
I hope that made sense.
Thanks
STeve

Old 05-27-2008, 07:20 AM

About the only change would be in the quality and price of your lighting units. You may also improve your light stands. But other than that my setup is about the same. Of course you can go to the limit on the camera.
My lights are either Photgenic strobe units or Colortran 1000 watt hot lights. I could get by with a lot less but after 20 years of being a photographer, that is what I had. When we used film you had to pay a good bit more attention to your lights since you had to match your film to the color of the lights. Now it is just a matter of adjusting your camera's white balance. Now if you want to spend some money, I went to a Phase One seminar last week where they were showing their new backs for medium format cameras. You could go through $30,000 rather quickly.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVanderkolff
...if budget were not a concern.
In addition to what Terrill has mentioned I could easily dump 10-12K into a computer/monitors/printers set-up. Dual quad-core processors, 8+ gigs of RAM, extra fast multiple hard drives for processing data-intensive digital files that are undergoing complex Photoshop filtering, and also for archiving large numbers of photos AND backing up all the digital files. Dual high-end monitors, a large format color printer and a good quality basic multi-function printer would be essential.

I'd go farther with more money and purchas a quality ergonomic chair, special room lighting that would not intefere with monitor colors and that would also enhance visual color checking of finished prints. In addition I would build a temperature controled dust free room of sufficient size to house all my gear and within which I could construct elaborate still-life sets with plenty of room to set up lighting options in 360 degrees. I would opt for a custom ceiling rail system for lighting and I would hire a full-time beautiful assistant who would also double as the ultimate nude model - wife approved of course. There's more but this would be a good start. I think I could make all this happen for roughly 100K.

Making tax deductible contributions to my dream is easy. I accept cash, personal check and PayPal.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 05-28-2008, 02:57 PM

Buddy, the line for donations starts right behind me.
By the way, "beautiful assistant who would also double as the ultimate nude model - wife approved" is one piece of equipment that just does not exist!!!!
On days like today, I would settle for the dust filtration system.
See you at Blade?

Old 06-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to sdcb27 Send a message via Yahoo to sdcb27
Wow makes me feel like I stil make cave drawings

http://www.highcountryknives.com
Old 07-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to murrphy
this same thread I believe is somewhere in Knife Network forums but I'm not sure where so I will post this link

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=369096

read that re my setup and lighting. I have just been informed today that due to my request, the light tent will now have velcro removable background so that the tent will have a transluscent back as well as sides and top and one will be delivered to me shortly.

This will be an improvement as one can then manoevre the lights more freely from behind as well as from above.

HTH

Tags
blade, knife