MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Steel Addict

Wiring Question

I'm about to wire up an outlet for the grinder that Ed and I put together in November.

The wire between the VFD and the motor is 12/3+ground and the wire between the VFD and the plug is ??/3+ground.

All of the matching 20A 220V receptacles I found that matched the plug on the grinder have three lugs. I bought some 12/3+ground. But I'm not sure where to go with the neutral and ground wires. Do I ignore the neutral or can it go on the same lug as the ground?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Steel Addict

Nevermind. I misremembered. The wire from the VFD to the plug is actually some three wire stuff. I'll just wire it like I did my press.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Grant!???? None of us have heard from you in so long....we thought you got eaten by wolves or something!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Steel Addict

Close enough to wolves. Been working like a madman. Too busy for much knife stuff, unfortunately.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Steel Addict

So I did eventually get that wiring done and the grinder was running great. I was traveling most of March and just went out to grind a couple of blades I'd forged a week or two ago.

I hit the switch on the grinder and it vibrated briefly and then shut off. Turned out the drive wheel had come loose.

I tightened that down good and hard, then hit the power switch again and got a flashing red light. I consulted the manual for my VFD and it says it's a short circuit.

Everything looked tight. So I went through and disconnected and reconnected the motor/grinder connections at both ends. No joy. Then I disconnected the motor and the controller to see if maybe it was a fault in the motor, based on some advice from this thread. No joy again.

Unfortunately I can't hook the power directly up to the motor, since it's expecting 3PH power from the controller.

I guess it could be a short upstream of the grinder. Maybe in the outlet. Doesn't seem likely, but worth a shot.

I really hope I can resurrect this bugger. If not I've got my fingers crossed that its still in warranty. Off to see if I can find the receipt.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Skilled

Grant. Have you checked the wires in the motor?? Get a meter and check your incoming power. Make sure it is what it should be. Then check the output of the VFD with no motor. Make sure they are all running at proper voltage. If these are all good your motor is bad. But motors are normally pretty bullet proof. I have had a wire come off inside that will make it act funny. Take a look and see what you can find out. If you can call for assistance they can possibly talk you through it. If not and you have a meter give me a call. FIVE ZERO THREE 569 FIVE FIVE FOUR NINE

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.

Tags
forged, grinding, knife, press