MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 04-27-2002, 06:04 PM
Osprey Guy

Two Differently Modified EV's w/Cocobolo Handles

Although it was a lot of work, redesigning these two blades was a blast (Both blades done with Dremel and sandpaper only). Note how I decided to remove even more off the top of the second blade...I love both knives but the 2nd knife (the one with the "bullseye" is my favorite of the two).

I got my hands on a 2 foot piece of gorgeous cocobolo. Both of these handles are from the same piece-opposite ends! It was not easy getting the rings perfectly lined up in the center of the 2nd handle but love the results!

Liner lock recess on both with indents for thumb stud. Just a little file work on back of 1st blade.
Applied tung oil to both, 3 coats of super glue to seal, sanded to 1500 grit, and finished with butchers wax. Hand rubbed mirror finish on both blades without removing thumbstuds...that was a lot of work!!!

Hope you like-
Dennis

Here's attempt at photo (still having conflict problems so may have to link it ...for a change)

Old 04-27-2002, 08:14 PM
CKDadmin

Dennis ...

Unreal clean, man!

I fixed your photo post. I want everyone to see how killer the knives are, but the shot is great too!

Alex
Old 04-27-2002, 09:38 PM
Coop747

ALLLLLRRRIGGHHT!!!

Wow! I'm impressed. Those are some VERY clean knives. You need to be proud. *I* need to take a lesson on patience from you! "hand-rubbed mirror finish without removing the thumbstuds"??? Your'e kidding me...

Both blade shapes are good, and the color of the wood is exceptional. Great job!!!!

I'm working on another DDR-1 with wood scales (box elder burl) and it will be a gift for my best friend who also got me involved in knives. He deserves it!!

Hope you carry one of those proudly!

And your pics are getting better and better. Your talents are showing up !!!!

Coop
Old 04-28-2002, 10:51 AM
jar

Dennis. They look really good. How in the world did you do a mirror polish without removing the thumb studs?
Old 04-28-2002, 07:01 PM
Osprey Guy

Coop- I can always count on you for just the right support. Thanks for the comments.
One of these is always my EDC!

Jim (the funny one)-Sure, trying to get on my good side now. I read too many horror stories of thumb studs getting messed up, so I decided to work around them. A lot more work! We're talking many, many extra hours of careful sanding to get the "cloud" out from around those studs. Good therapy for me when I'm not busy spending hours "admiring" other guys handiwork at the 'Display Case'...hrrummphhh!!!.

I'm thinking of buying one of the Damascus DDR kits...I've been inspired recently.

Dennis
Old 04-29-2002, 03:00 PM
SIGGI

Dennis,

Both knives are fantastic! You really show what can be done with a kit!

You do have way more patience than I do. Those blades look great.

You should enter your pic in the photo contest. Someone needs to give Coop a run for the money!

Bob Sigmon
Old 04-30-2002, 05:48 PM
LdRothermere

3 inches

OspreyGuy,

You truly are the king of the Dremel (I've got you in mind to lobby for many, many Dremel questions soon...If you don't mind). Those are both fantastic pieces of work (the picture of which I have downloaded as a 'goal' I can work towards).

You do some excellent bladework. I'm very impressed!

A question if you don't mind. How easy do you think it would be to work a kits blade down to 3 inches? I apologise if this question is so naive it reveals me to be the ignoramus I am, but I always have the UK's blade length laws in mind.

Thank you.

James
Old 04-30-2002, 08:56 PM
Darrel Ralph

Re: 3 inches

Very nice work !
How sweet it is!

Old 04-30-2002, 09:50 PM
Osprey Guy

Re: 3 inches

Everyone-thanks again for the generous words.. Looking back just a couple of months I can't get over how much easier it has gotten with each succeeding kit. As far as I'm concerned these kits make it easy. Anyone who can work with their hands, and is willing to put in the time, can turn out a respectable looking knife. Good tools certainly help and the Dremel is my main tool of choice (and budget that my wife will allow-hey there's a reason why I'm still married after 17 years!),

With the Dremel (and a WHOLE heap of sandpaper) you can do just about anything with these kits. It takes a LOT of patience and a willingness to use up a couple of bits in the proccess. At speeds of 25,000-35,000rpm and the right bit, they'll cut through anything I've encountered so far.

The EV offers a lot of real estate on the blade to mess around and have fun with the design (it starts out as a really wide blade for it's size). I could have ground those blades down to a spike, in time. In fact, with all that topside metal, I came close to also attempting false edges, but held back when I decided that each was already so darned pretty to look at!

I'm a little concerned about the lack of similar, available blade real estate on the "June" knives, but I know they'll each be presenting challenges of their own, especially in the handle department.

Looking forward to them DR. Can't wait!!!

Dennis

Tags
blade, knife, knives