MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 08-12-2005, 08:50 AM
Hall of Famer

Smile O.K, let's build a framelock together

Frank and Andy, are you ready to help us all build a framelock together?

Let's do this the same way we did the barlow project.

Anyone and everyone who has built any kind knife in the past is invited to participate in this project.

From beginner folder makers to the most experienced, we can all have fun helping each other with this new project. Frank Niro and Andy Gascoigne will outdo me as usual, but I'm used to that now.

How about a deadline of October 1? That should be enough time to get a folder built.

Sign up for the project by replying to this thread. Let's get a lot of people involved.

For mine, I have in mind a small pocket knife with .060" liners partially overlaid with .030 Ti, leaving the edges of the liners exposed all the way around. The Ti liners and overlay will be anodized different colors.

I'll make a 3/32" blade about 2 1/2" long with .010" washers, so the overall thickness of the completed knife will be less than 5/16". It will be so light you can't tell it's in your pocket at church on Sunday morning.

So, my friends, who's up for this?

Bill Miller, Jaeger, here's your chance and I know you're ready. Sign up.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Living Legend

Is it restricted to only those who were there last time or can a new player jump in? I'm game; I have some .04 Ti and have been thinking about giving it a try.

Jim
Old 08-12-2005, 12:45 PM

WooHoo!!!

Count me in.

Old 08-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Steel Addict

I'm in Don, but I have to disagree on your comments on myself outdooing you..I've a lot to learn, but projects like this can only help.

Andy..
Old 08-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac
Is it restricted to only those who were there last time or can a new player jump in? I'm game; I have some .04 Ti and have been thinking about giving it a try.

Jim
Glad to have you, Jim. I missed you at the central Texas Show.

This is open to anyone, but preferably those who have built some kind of knife before, as I know you have.

If you're going to use .040 Ti, though, you need to keep the knife small so that the liners will be stiff enough. Ordinarily, a framelock has around .090" ti liners, but I'm going to reinforce mine with a Ti overlay so it'll be stiff enough.

How about making the liners from your .040, and use the same for a partial overlay so the frame will be stiff enough? That'll work fine.

Again, thanks for participating.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duarte M. Hensley
WooHoo!!!

Count me in.

You're in, Duarte. Woohoo!! to you too.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy gascoigne
I'm in Don, but I have to disagree on your comments on myself outdooing you..I've a lot to learn, but projects like this can only help.

Andy..
Welcome back, Andy.We all look forward to your knives.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Steel Addict

I'll give it a go as well, I bought a new camera, excuse me I bought the wife a new camera I should be able to get some better pics to post.

Jeff Prater
Old 08-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Great, Jeff. Welcome.

Hope your wife doesn't mind sharing the new camera.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:01 AM
Master

Hello people. Yes I do want to participate again. I find the fellowship almost as much fun as the making thing! I believe you are never to old to learn something more. I just bet there will bet several thingsthat will help me in the future. I have already completed my frame lock. I decided to go ahead when I felt like it. I will get some pictures to Don of the finished knife and I know he will be good enough to post them for me.
Well to start. The titanium I used was .165 thick. The blade was made from dendritic cobalt. I like the edge holding on this material , the stainless quality it has, and the easy of sharpening. More later . It's late here. I'm off to the sack.
Great to have something going again Don! I will be looking forward to seeing a few different ideas in frame locks. This is the first one I have done. Frank

Old 08-13-2005, 08:16 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Niro
Hello people. Yes I do want to participate again. I find the fellowship almost as much fun as the making thing! I believe you are never to old to learn something more. I just bet there will bet several thingsthat will help me in the future. I have already completed my frame lock. I decided to go ahead when I felt like it. I will get some pictures to Don of the finished knife and I know he will be good enough to post them for me.
Well to start. The titanium I used was .165 thick. The blade was made from dendritic cobalt. I like the edge holding on this material , the stainless quality it has, and the easy of sharpening. More later . It's late here. I'm off to the sack.
Great to have something going again Don! I will be looking forward to seeing a few different ideas in frame locks. This is the first one I have done. Frank
Welcome, Frank. See, I told you Frank would outdo me, and he's already done it!

Dendritic cobalt, wow! have you been to the moon recently, Frank? Where'd you get that?

Please get me the pictures ASAP, and they'll probably be the first post of a finished knife.

Got tired of waiting for us, huh?
Old 08-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Master

Boy that Don has the enthuziasim of a lotto winner going to pick up his money! Great stuff mister!!! First off the pictures will probably be a month before they get there. No, it will be by the computor but it will be that long before I send that folder and a few others off to my good Buddy Ron who will then forward them to Don.
So just a bit on the dendritic cobalt. David Boye sells cast bars and some blade shapes. I was buying direct but now am able to purchase through Downie Knife supply 519-978-9387 here in Canada. It has over 50% cobalt and 2 1/2% carbon as well as 22% chrome some tungsten, molybdenum and a few other minerals in it's make up. Also, it is non magnetic and stainless.You do not heat treat it but grind it annd use it. It is described as being nmade like a choclate bar with fine pieces of nuts in it. When you grind or sharpen, you remove the choclate exposing the cutting carbides. If hardness tested it will show a Rockwell of RC39. The reason being that the measurement will be on the soft part of the material. I have it to make great knives for hunting because it has far better edge holding than 440-C or Ats-34 and similar stainless metals. Also it is much easier to sharpen. It is not the easiest material to work with however. To make the blade I used a metal cut off disc in a direct drive table saw to very rough shape the outline and then went to the grinder. I started with 60 grit belts because that is as course as I had on hand but then used belts two grits higher than I would have to shape and finish. I did hand finish the blade to 600grit. Do you try to hand satin finish blades but end up with streaky looking results? Get some Mobil 1 motor oil in say 10-30 weight and use it when hand finishing. It won't matter it your sanding strocks are even or not. A 220 grit finish will look like a 400 or even 600. The blade is a 3/4 length clip 3 1/2 long and 15/16" wide. I did place a false edge on the top . The pivot hole, which has to be drilled with a carbide bit is 7/32 in diamerter. I installed a stainless thumb stud with some file work.
That's it for now. I want to get into my shop. As always, ask any questions you wish . No need to go to the search button. I will certainly try to answer and of course, I know Don will along with others. Frank

Old 08-15-2005, 08:41 AM
Hall of Famer

Well, friends, Its a brand new Monday here, so I'm going to start my overlaid framelock today. I think I'll make a clip point blade for it out of 3/32" ATS34 steel. .060" Ti liners.

I'll post photos of my WIP (work in progress) as I go until it's finished.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:53 PM
Master

hey all is it still considered a frame lock if theres any scales. i have .05 ti so i think ill need some kind of scales.

bill

Old 08-16-2005, 07:39 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
hey all is it still considered a frame lock if theres any scales. i have .05 ti so i think ill need some kind of scales.

bill
I'm doing the same, Bill. Mine will have a thin Ti overlay, as I explained above. You won't need bolsters if you stiffen the .050 Ti with a partial overlay.

If you read Jim's post above, he's using .040 Ti., so he'll need an overlay to stiffen the frame.

For this project, build whatever you like. A framelock is simply a linerlock without bolsters and scales.

Welcome. glad you can join us.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives