MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Steel Addict

304 ss liners

Can you use 304ss be used for liners insted of Ti?
Old 12-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Skilled

Yes 304 will work, not as good a spring for liner locks as Titanium but adequate.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Steel Addict

thanks George, I have a huge 304 ss electrical panel that I could make allot of liners.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Skilled

Not that I'm trying to get into an arguement with George, but I would disagree. I think 304 would be fine for basic liners on a lock back or slip joint, but not for a liner lock. I don't believe it will wear well on the lock face, and there is no way of hardening 304 to improve this point. It's also not a good spring material.

If you want to use a stainless steel for liners on a liner lock folder I recommend using 410, 416, or a precipitation hardening alloy like 17-7. With a PH stainless you should be able to make your liners completely (except for the ball), then heat treat them with little change in size or shape. It will probably wear better than 6al4v titanium. Alpha Knife Supply has had some PH alloys in the past and may still have some.

David

Old 12-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Sorry, George. I agree with David all the way, but 22H2, if you're going to buy stainless for linerlock liners, why not get the best and buy 6al/4v Ti? No heat treat, no warping, stronger, can be anodized.

You can send me the stainless for slipjoints!
Old 12-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Steel Addict

Hi,

It's funny you should post this because just yesterday I was looking at some 304 stainless steel I have and thinking I should use it.

The first folder I ever made...okay the first one that turned out good enough that I'd admit to making it...has liners of 304 stainless of about .100 or .125 inches in thickness. I inset a lock bar of titanium about .065" thick by milling a pocket into one of the liners so it fuctions like a liner-lock. Ii was really pleased with this arrangement. This was before anyone told me that 304 ss was difficult to machine. Actually it was not bad to work with at all. I must have used 304"s".

Don
Old 12-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Robinson
buy 6al/4v Ti? No heat treat,
Actually, Don, I do heat treat my 6-4 titanium. Before I mount the ball I heat the lock face to a cherry red, then let it cool. Afterwards I sand off all the color except on the face itself. This leaves deposits of hard alpha particles on the surface that will see all the wear. At least that's Chris Reeve's story!

In spite of the general perception, titanium isn't magic. I believe a good steel, stainless or carbon, that is properly heat treated will hold up better in the long run. However, everybody wants titanium because it's so exotic.

David

Old 12-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Hall of Famer

David, I've heated the lock bar end as you say a few times but I really don't believe it has any affect.

My EDC that goes into my watch pocket every day as soon as my pants are on is made of Ti. I've worn and used it every day for at least 5 or 6 years and there is absolutely no evidence of wear on the lock. It was made by a friend named Don Robinson.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:19 PM
Steel Addict

Reason for the question, I have a 304 stainless steel electrical enclosure that measures 4' x 4' and 1' wide. This would make allot of liners. If I had to purchase material new I would buy Ti. I have only made a few lockback folders and have never made a liner lock. SOOOOO if this 304 would work for liner locks I would not have to buy any other material. Just a thought.

thanks for all of the replies.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:45 AM
Skilled

I know that 304 is not the best and I admit that all of my folders after my first couple have been made from titanium.

The reason I abandoned 304 springs is that they would flex too much if I got the thickness right for easy opening and one even stress cracked at the end of the lock cut because I did not include a radiused stress relief.

304 is used as a mild spring in many applications, mainly interferance fit situations.

I carry a folder everyday with titanium liners and stellite blade made by myself and have not experienced any lock wear. It is about 5 years old.

Go ahead and make up a couple of working prototypes with the 304, the material is cheap enough to learn on.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Registered

I I have made close to 30 folders. Most of them liner locks. I have used 304 or 316 ss on all of them. But only for the liner opposit the lock. The 300's stainless is to soft and weak for a lock.

Tags
blade, knife, knives