MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Skilled

How do you chamfer

Guys how do you chamfer edges of scales?
If I am not mistaken I've seen someone using a Dremel Shaper/Router Table Attachment on wood scales.

I wonder if these bits will work on titanium too? Is there any other way to do it?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 06-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Steel Addict

Alex,

Since you have a milling machine, you can get any number of bits that will allow you to chamfer titanium.

Depending on the angle you want, you could use something like this Double Angle Cutter. Or a Chamfering Mill.
Probably the least expensive bit would be a Mill/Drill

If you need a curve, you could use something like this Corner Rounding End Mill that I just purchased for a knife I'm working on.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Are you trying to build some unusual looking geometric folder of some kind? If so, do as Chris said.

Except for some kind of art piece I don't think I've ever seen or know of anyone who routinely uses any kind of chamfering tool on the dges of folder scales. Usually, the edges are simply shaped on your belt sander .........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Master

Hi Alex.
Here is how I round the edges on mine.
I use an outline to make the one scale and then use that scale to make the second one, I have the correct tapping size holes and pivot in this first scale. Use the pivot hole with a clamp to do the first hole and then add a drill bit of the same size in that first and all following holes to maintain good alignment. After doing this I then scribe the outline on the second scale. After grinding this out with a 60 grit I then put the two scales together and using the bits to keep them aligned go around with a 120 grit. I them attach the bolsters with them already sized to a matched length and after contour grinding them I then grind the oval (?) shape into each bolster on a 2 X 72 grinder with a flat platen.I do this by turning them with the scales on in an arc. I do this with a 60 grit. I then go over these with a 65 3M gator belt. I then fit the scales to the end of the bolsters and position and drill the appropriate holes from the bottom of the scales. These are now attached with screws and contour ground to the scales. The back end of the bolster now most often decides the starting shape of the scale front end. I then continue this shaping using the slack belt part of this machine using a 120 and then a 400 belt on both the bolsters and scales.After that it's the hand finishing thing for each bolster scale side. I then put the two sides and spacer together and go around the outline with a 120 and then 400 belt. In some of my latest folders I can have several contours. I will do these as much as oposible the three pieces together and then finish by hand using a rod of appropriate size wrapped with sandpaper. I sure hope this helps alex. I will watch for more questions along with other members.

Tags
knife, knives