MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:32 AM

Burt Foster - Utility "Combat" Knife

Last weekend in Frederick, MD, during the Moran Bladesmithing Expo & Knife Show, I stopped to say hello to Burt Foster and a few of his admirers. Even though it was pouring down rain, everybody was happy to be there, talking about knives, looking at knives and learning how to make better knives. I noticed Burt had a backpack with him and eventually I said, "So Burt, whadda ya got in your backpack there?" Out they came, one by one with plenty of time to pass them around and get the details. (This is one big difference between hammer-ins and shows and one of the main reasons I like going to hammer-ins!) Burt does great work, no doubt about it - they were all terrific knives , but there was this one...........

He said it was a 'combat' knife. So I was looking at it thinking, "Well, it's not exactly your typical fighter style knife." "You know, it's a military utility knife - a do anything blade that a soldier might have," he said. Several people were asking him questions all at the same time and I'm sure he was trying to keep track of his knives that were being passed around, so I just kept on studying it.

Regardess of its designation, I thought it was a heck of a knife. I loved it right off the bat. It was stout, that's for sure - definitely a step up from other knives of similar design..... and I liked the unique palm swell. It felt great in my hand. Burt said he's been using this handle design more lately and that it was working out well. It was still raining hard when I decided to make a dash for my car, and my checkbook.....

OAL 10 7/8 in.
Blade length 6 in.
Blade thickness 1/4 in. at the guard
Weight 10 oz.
Guard width is 3/4 in.
Width of the palm swell is a bit wider than the guard, 7/8 in.

Here's Burt during the cutting contest. Did I mention he won?

Congratulations, Burt - and thanks for the great knife!
Old 10-17-2005, 02:37 AM

I should mention the quality sheath Burt made for this knife. It's a snap-lock pouch sheath for very secure carry. Many people would carry this knife as a high-rider on the belt - dominant side carry. But after experimenting I found I prefer an over-the-shoulder loop of 1 in. webbing with the knife upside-down on my non-dominant side. That way it's never in the way but never out of reach. Though the knife is held securely in the pouch sheath, a deliberate tug with specific itent would release this blade for action. In fact, this might be an excellent choice for a shoulder carry system under a light jacket etc.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:48 AM
Skilled

I love this knife. Elegant, but purposeful lines, nicely shaped and understated guard and what looks to be very comfortable handle. Thanks for the show Buddy and well done Burt!

Roger
Old 10-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Skilled

That is a beautiful knife, it was hard to give up when we were passing it around. Nice score Buddy.

Member of the ABS, EPKCA, NJKCA
Old 10-26-2005, 12:56 AM
Steel Addict

Lovely!
Old 10-26-2005, 04:49 AM
Master

Yeah Buddy you got yourself a knife there. I could see that being a combat knife, though who in their right mind would beat that one up?

Thanks for the showing Buddy! You done real good!

Paul Vandine

Tags
blade, knife, knives