MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 09-22-2001, 09:20 AM
viper5192

Slow down in industry?

This is to makers, anyone who deals/sells knives.

I was wondering how your sales have been since the tragedy? Has the evil spetre of the "knife" slowed you down at all? I have noticed that NO ONE seems to be buying. Though I can understand in the economic times such as they are becoming. It just annoys me to know end to think those #@$#^^#&# can affect even out industry with their cowardly terrorist atrocities!

Old 09-22-2001, 09:43 AM
Dexter Ewing

Knife Magazines too?

Call it a strange coincidence or what, but every single bookstore and newsstand here in town doesn't stock Blade, Tactical Knives, or Knives Illustrated anymore. At least I haven't seen any new issues up for sale since 9-11. I sure hate to think (...and do NOT get me started on this) that it was a knee-jerk sheeple reaction since knives were implicated in the whole WTC mess that folks were crying to have them yank all knife magazines from the shelves. Yet, I see new issues of the firearms magazines come in the past few days. This is not a slam on our firearms bretheren but with all the stuff happening with guns you don't see them pulling gun magazines off newsstand shelves.

Keep in mind that this could merely be a coincidence and that I am over-reacting (I hope so...) but its awfully eerie that I haven't seen any knife magazines on shelves since 9-11

What are your thoughts on this? Anyone see new issues of any/all three of the knife magazines in the past few days?
Old 09-22-2001, 12:19 PM
Les Robertson

Good Times....Bad Times

Guys,

What I have found over the last 16 years as a dealer, is that generally a slow period in the economy makes collectors re-think their purchases.

Many are now in the position that they are looking to liquidate some of their knives. Some are going to find that they chose poorly and will either get very little for their knives or will not find a buyer at all.

Some of the new makers and dealers will find it difficult over the next few months. But take heart most of the makers and dealers are not full time. So while it may get a little tight, most will be able to hang around to ride it out. Just don't expect those web sites to be changing with any regularity.

However, just like with every other slow time in the economy, the US comes out of it even stronger.

Take this time to assess your collection and buying patterns. Take note of which knives held their value and which did not. There is nothing wrong with making mistakes, just don't make the same one's twice.

As with the Stock Market, opportunities are everywhere. Now is not the time to sell...now is the time to BUY!

Because the factories are so prevelant throught the US because of their advertising. They will feel the pinch (if it comes, first).

Custom knives are only a small percentage of all the knives sold. The majority of people who buy these knives are professionals with disposable income. This is not to say a slow economy does not affect them. It does.

As such the lesser known makers and dealers are affected first

As custom knife buyers sell off their knives, they will realize that many they bought did not hold up in the aftermarket. Consequently, they will seek out those makers work who did.

The same for dealers, those who carry the better knives, have a liberal trade in policy and have access to the in demand knives will be fine.

Lesser known or new dealers will find they have to struggle to stay afloat. Of course that is the nature of the beast for any new business.

Old 09-22-2001, 12:29 PM
Les Robertson

Example of my previous post

Just saw on Knifeforums that BlaydeShoppe is closing (for now they say).

Acme Knives have asked dealers to stop selling knives on the Internet. Surely, they can't be this stupid. I have to guess they were either going out of business anyway. Or are trying to pursuade others to stop to make them more competitve.

No doubt the list will grow.

Although, the custom knife market was expanding so fast. It was only a matter of time before something happened that "culled" the heard a little.

Les
Old 09-22-2001, 01:04 PM
viper5192

Dexter, are you in New York ?? We still get the knife mags here, they are just slow to come on the racks.

Les, once again you have clarified what is happening, what may happen quite clearly and sucinctly, thank you.
Old 09-22-2001, 02:39 PM
Darrel Ralph

HUH?

Knock on wood!
Sales have been brisk on this end.

Old 09-22-2001, 03:56 PM
Brad Duncan

Sales

Things have been full steam ahead.I hope to ride out the economy on the large list of backorders.
Old 09-22-2001, 08:05 PM
Dexter Ewing

Knife mags

Paul - I'm in NC. The more I think about it, the more it sounds like a delay in distribution. There is one supplier for most bookstores/newssatnds in this area and if the supplier hasn't received their shipments of the mags, then the store won't (duh)
Old 09-22-2001, 10:20 PM
bandaidman1

Re: Knife mags

Dexter I see you are from W-S. Used to live there (proud WFU/BGSM grad!). Going back for a visit soon, any good knife places to visit?

Old 09-23-2001, 11:56 AM
Dexter Ewing

Bandaidman

Check your email
Old 09-23-2001, 12:53 PM
Knifemaker01

Increased sales here

Surprisingly, sales have increased here for the highly personalized one off's.

Steve
www.stevescutlery.com
Old 09-26-2001, 10:18 PM
Matt Harildstad

Things have been going reasonably well here. A lot of interest in Bowies actually. May just be because I've just recently returned to the internet community. Long story, don't ask.

Matt Harildstad
my website

Tags
blade, knife, knives