MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 04-05-2003, 01:58 PM
Steel Addict

cutting Ti

whats the best way to do it in the home shop? im sure water jets or lazers are the BEST way, but until i win the lotto they're out.

so. seems to come in such thin pieces, does it strip teeth off the bandsaw? dremel cutting disks?

whats the best? - pieces will range from 0.065-0.090'' or so.

thanks
Old 04-05-2003, 02:52 PM

I use a angle grinder or a die grinder for mine. others use reciprocating saws....

Bandsaw is the only way to go if you ask me. One of these days I ll have the funds to get one, but there are things higher on the priority list right now.

If you allready have a bandsaw, make sure your blade will have 3 (or is it 4) teeth in contact at all times. Others with more experiance will be along to help shortly

Old 04-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Steel Addict

3 or 4 teeth in contact with a sheet that is 0.060 thick? now THAT is a fine toothed blade
Old 04-07-2003, 08:51 AM
Steel Addict

Get a big, heavy bandsaw and use bimetal blades. Wear a full face mask as chips fly around and ti is bad for the eyes. Do not use a plasma cutter as the fumes are very dangerous. Do not use a shear - even a big one - because these will put a lot of stress into the material and it will kill you getting it straight again.

Cutting Ti isnt much real fun actually, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do! I've been machining it all afternoon and that aint no picknick either.

Old 04-07-2003, 08:11 PM
Hall of Famer

i've not tried it, but one guy uses a toothless carbide grit bit in a tiger saw (sawsall, reciiprocating saw - all the same depending on the brand). blades are cheap at home depot.

Old 04-07-2003, 10:37 PM
RIP 11-09-2011

I won't argue what is politically correct about how many teeth because they just don't make a 1000TPI blade yet.
I use Bi metal blades that are 18TPI, sometimes they ship me 14TPI's and they work too.
You can put a piece of wood or macarta on top to help the chips form flying, and make it run smoother, but Ti is hard to cut, machine, grind, even drill sometimes.
Yes it can truly be a pain.
Sure is purdy with colored filework though.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:41 AM
Skilled

Up to about 0.065, I burn through Ti on an old, small, hi-speed wood cutting bandsaw with just about any available finer toothed blade. The number of teeth aren't important, as they are destroyed upon first use and friction heat results in it just going through the Ti like a hot knife on butter. Not good for any level of precision cutting as its necessary to keep the Ti moving through the blade quickly to avoid work hardening.
For thicker material, I use a metal cutting bandsaw on the slowest speeds, with 18 tpi bi-metal blades.

Old 04-08-2003, 10:12 PM

I use a bandsaw I got from Harbor Freight for about $160. I get bimetal blades from UCUT Technologies in Washington. They are 14tpi or 18tpi and if you buy 10 at a time they are/were about $12 each verse the $27 at the local tool store. I have had very good luck with the blades lasting through numerous knife liner cuttings from .025 to .156 thickness. The thinner will break teeth if you push too fast or let the titanium vibrate too much.

Steve Busch
Old 04-24-2003, 09:21 AM
Hall of Famer

Re: Cutting Ti

I have a Wilton wood/metal cutting bandsaw that has variable speeds. I glue the Ti to a piece of flat hardwood with rubber glue or super glue. With the saw on the lowest speed, I cut through the Ti and wood at the same time. That saves the teeth from stripping off. I use an 18 tooth band, too.

If the Ti is thin enough, as someone else said, friction sawing at highest speed possible will work also.

Hi, Gene!
Old 04-24-2003, 09:28 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

Hello Don,
Stop by more often,OK?
We are here 24/7

Tags
blade, knife