MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 04-04-2002, 06:49 PM
Greg

Outdoor VS indoor knife pics

Hi, I'm new here, but I got a chance to read through some old posts, including those by the residing champeeen, Mr. Blackwood.

He mentioned he got best results with natural light outdoors. I, too, tried to take my shots outdoors because I have the perfect backdrop of an old weather-beaten picnick table top that looks like the side of an historic building in a ghost town. However, I find the contrast to be too great oudoors. Even on cloudy days or in the shadows, the blade either gets blown away, or the handle is too dark.

I do find that natural light through a north facing window is a good and often necessary component to my lighting.

Anybody else? What do you all use?
Old 04-04-2002, 10:04 PM
primos

No nibbles for the new guy?

Greg, the one shot I've seen of yours is already better than what I do in my opinion. I should be asking you questions.

Shadows don't work at all for me. But, I do get pretty good results on overcast days. Like yourself, I also like taking shots with natural light through the window. For either one, the conditions have to be just right.

I keep saying that I'm going to build a light box and get some good lights, but I've just been too darn busy.
Old 04-05-2002, 07:22 AM
Terrill Hoffman

Greg, the best advantage of ourdoor shots is that you can "see" your lighting. With studio lights you have a modeling light which allows you to get an idea of what effect the lights will have, but with a standard flash you only get to see the results after you take the shot. One thing you may want to play with, is to make a tent of an old bed sheet (no, not the one with the flowers on it) and let the outdoor light shine through. Then you can rotate the angle of the blade and handle until you get the best results. But I guess what I'm really saying is to go out and practice. The best way to get good at photography is to take a lot of shots and then compare the different things you did on each shot.
Old 04-05-2002, 07:46 AM
Coop747

Greg,

I'm finding that I like taking shots in the morning with my eastern-exposed window for the natural light. I have a light box and for those late night shot's I have an alarming array of bulbs that will do some justice, but overall, I like the outdoor lighting (in an inside environment).

What you may try is a few sheets of paper--either to reflect or to diminish the glare on your outside work. Terry is right, your pic is already very clear, but as you get more involved you will want to use different background anyway, so this one spot will lose it's appeal.

Go back a few pages in the forums and there is some VERY good info for you.

Welcome aboard!!

Coop
Old 04-05-2002, 09:53 AM
CKDadmin

Greg,

The guys are right ... look through a couple of pages back in this forum and read all the lighting topics for more.

Welcome aboard!

Alex
Old 04-06-2002, 08:21 PM
Greg

Thanks for the info and the kind words, guys. The white sheet tent sounds intriguing to say the least. I'll check out the thread you are referring to and bone up on my shoot'n techniques.
Old 04-07-2002, 02:31 PM
Neil Blackwood

Outdoor SHOOTING!

Hi Greg!

I also find that early moring and late evening are the best times for knife pics. Overcast days are PRIME!!
I recently bought a piece of flourescent light diffuser at Home Depot that seems to help in more direct sunlight. I get real hi tech with it, I have one of my kids hold it in position to create a shodow on the knife I'm shooting

Once I'm happy with lighting the only other thing I really concern myself with is the blade itself. I take several shots from different angles in an attempt to best show the grind lines and logo on the blade. Sometimes in order to do that, I position the knife to allow more light to hit the handle than the blade. This brings out the color in the woods and keeps the blade from being too bright.

In addition to the above, some yelling, cursing and lots of batteries makes it all come together!!

Neil

Old 04-08-2002, 10:20 AM
Terrill Hoffman

Re: Outdoor SHOOTING!

Just as I thought. Neil cheats! All my kids are grown so I don't have anyone to hold the panel for me!
Old 07-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, indeedy! If you have one of those carbon-based, voice activated light stands, you are fortunate!

I try to keep it simple as possible: Outdoors, and some sort of translucent diffuser interposed between the light source and subject, sufficient depth of field to include the entire knife, which is sometimes hard to do with the duffuser, and of course, that royal but necessary PITA, a tripod!

Shoot, evaluate, adjust repeat...shoot lots, the more we shoot, the better we get...then, if you are like me, write down what works so's you don't forget!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:06 PM

It's great that this old thread got bumped. Lots of good advice already so here's one of my favorites. I found, as with this shot (set of shots actually), I had to work fast to keep the exposure from changing as clouds moved. Shooting in manual mode is also a must for consistent exposures.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 08-08-2011, 01:45 AM

Well, indeed, you can do perfect shots outdoors, especailly if you need natural background, like trees, grass etc. But sometimes it's not neccessary to depend on weather conditions.
Here is a couple of shots, made in the simliest 5 minute lightbox. It's just an office paper box. "Windows" were cutted in three sides and "closed" with tracing paper. Not five minutes, but 10 literally.
Another advices are:
1. To adjust white ballance before shooting
2. To use brecketing
Here is the lightbox

And fotos, only one lamp.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:55 PM

That's cool. Anything that diffuses the light will work. I prefer the studio for knives though. Perfectly diffused light, when needed or desired, is possible:

Old 08-10-2011, 09:59 PM

Outdoors can be best for really exposing the hamon. In this case the maker, Bailey Bradshaw, was amazed by the extent of activity he had not seen.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:02 PM

In some types of outdoor settings there's too much competition for the main subjects; eg.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:05 PM

Here's fake outdoors where I shot the knife inside, cut 'n pasted it to make the graphic I wanted. Sort of irrelevant I know.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives, sheath