MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 08-02-2004, 08:05 AM
Skilled

Question Question on leather spacers

Have a question not related directly to sheath making, but to leather. What type of treatment should be given leather when it's being used as spacer in handles? I've recently done two knives with leather in the handles without any pre-treatment and now wonder if I've messed up. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Howdy Rick-
Couple of questions -
Did you glue in between in each layer of leather? If so what type of glue?

You can seal afterwards - I would soak the handle with Tung Oil or Watco Danish Oil. Marine Spar Varnish is also good. On all of th above thin and add several thin coats - allowing to dry in between coats - you want the sealer IN the leather. ANother option is Thompson's Water Seal.

Hope this helps...

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Skilled

Question on leather spacers

Chuck, I sandwich the leather between colored spacer material with each layer coated both sides with 24 hr. epoxy. Those sections are then epoxied to the tang and antler section. Has made a really good looking handle. Do I go back now and use the sealers you mentioned on the leather a little at a time to seal?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Howdy Rick -
Sounds like you did good. Just use the sealer of your choice now and you should be all set.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:49 AM
Skilled

question on leather spacers

Thanks Chuck!
Old 08-02-2004, 10:53 AM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Rick, it looks s though you have pressed all the right buttons! As far as the leather used in your spacers or "stacking"--- I would recommend veg tanned cowhide that you could compress in a vise or hydraulic press or in the harder type shoe bend that is all ready compressed----

Old 08-02-2004, 01:13 PM
Living Legend

A question on the leather spacers. I've read that they can be stabilized like wood for a stacked handle, is this true and hows it change the handling?

Jim
Old 08-02-2004, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Howdy Jim - I suppose you could stabilize, but use the above methods and there's no need to especially if you get a side of sole bend - www.siegel.com carries it. It's 1/4" thick - it's what leather shoe soles are made of and it's not only been highly compressed, but also stuffed full of oils and waxes that make it virtually water proof as is.
Cut a bunch of squares and drill a center hole in each , mount on a piece of all thread (paste wax the all thread REAL good) with thinned out 24 hour epoxy in between each layer, once you've got enough stacked on reef down on the end nuts. Let dry and expoxy on to your knife. Sand to sghape, finish, and then seal as above. If that fails it was operator error or abuse on teh part of the user.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 08-03-2004, 07:51 AM
Living Legend

Thanks for the reply Chuck. I have a bunch of coasters that I was given that I was going to play around with but I was worried they would not be suitable. As for failing, if it works perfect the first time for me I'll be surprised, part of the learning process is making mistakes and I seem to be good at the learning . I don't have any plans for a stacked handle in the near future but it been tempting me for a while since I got the book on the Danish knives. They also stack wood/bark over there for an interesting look.

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 08-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Skilled

Question on leather spacers

Wow! Hadn't thought about sole leather. I've been using veg tanned 8 oz. scrap and never thought about compressing it. Last one I used some highly oiled and finished latigo which seems to have worked real well after adding the sealer as suggested. There's a half side of hard mule laying around here that I use for the soles on moccisins. Bet it would work well, too. It's a gray color (which would look good on some handles) and I think it could be dyed as wanted. Love the idea of pressing on the threaded rod! Real pain in the butt trying to use clamps on the knife and handle while the 24 hr. epoxy dries. Thanks to all for the tips!
Rick

Tags
knife, knives